Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The importance of veterans to university diversity

Samantha Webber/Collegian File Photo

Throughout almost four years of involvement in the Student Government Association, I have met many interesting people, students, administrators, faculty, you name it.

Among those, I have had the pleasure of coming to know several unique members of our campus community: veterans.

The idea that some of our peers are older and much more versed in the harsh realities of the world was not new to me. My brother served and was part of the Iraq invasion before he returned to the world of higher education. Meeting and talking with veterans on a personal basis gives nebulous ratings and rankings more meaning.

The recent ranking of the University of Massachusetts among the top 15 percent of schools that are the most military friendly is an admirable achievement. Not only does it set UMass apart as we compete for recognition and accomplishment, it demonstrates the growing and continuing support of administration, staff and students for the veteran community and their education.

The study cites examples in full-time veteran counselors, a strong Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC), career placement, veteran networking, child care and access to tuition and fee refunds for active service.

I think the ranking also comes at a time in which veterans are expanding involvement outside their own community. Veterans comprise roughly 2 percent of the campus population, yet you can see their mark everywhere.

There is now a living and learning community called “The Barracks,” which is dedicated to housing and serving veterans on campus. A movement to start a fraternity for veterans, Omega Delta Sigma, is beginning to gain steam.

In the SGA, veteran senators have risen to high leadership positions with one chairing a Senate committee and another serving as Veterans’ Affairs secretary in the executive cabinet; I have had the pleasure of working with and learning from them. Whether there is a correlation or not, the ranking and this expansion in involvement definitely complement each other.

As we enter the 150th year of UMass, a celebration of the land grant concept, I think it is important to acknowledge the large role veterans have played in defining us as a university. Just as the University renews its efforts on recruiting and serving veterans following the 2008 Veterans Educational Assistance Act, I find value in examining UMass’ role in the post World War II period of demobilization.

As thousands of veterans sought education, the then-Massachusetts State College actually ran out of room to house the G.I. Bill beneficiaries. In fact, a new college was established between 1946 and 1949 at Fort Devens, specifically to serve the overflowing numbers of former soldiers. The sheer number of enrolling students over that period brought in different perspectives from different backgrounds, with an overarching shared experience of conflict and war.

http://umassamherstmagazine.com/2009/Fall-09/around-pond/combat.html

Fast forward 70 years or so, and UMass once again finds itself a destination for veterans looking for a quality education. Through programs like the Yellow Ribbon, which pays all resident tuition and fees for public school attendance and provisions like the Veteran Services office and VeteranONE, a veteran RSO, UMass builds upon its history of welcoming veterans and bringing them into the community.

Though this latest ranking only measures the benefits provided by the University to those who qualify, I like to think of it as a beacon, reminding us that we are a diverse campus in ways that people do not normally consider.

The SGA has given me a platform on which I have been able to interact with involved veterans, who wish to use their unique background and experience to contribute to the community and make changes that benefit everyone.

If nothing else, we should be reminded, not just of the sacrifice inherent in the title “veteran”, but of the true diversity of perspective and opinion on this campus and how it all contributes to a betterment of UMass and its students.

Garrett Gowen is the vice president of the SGA. He can be reached at ggowen@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “The importance of veterans to university diversity”
  1. Jose Roman says:

Thanks for this article and recognizing your student veteran population.

What UMass is doing is awesome. I hope to replicate alot of those initiatives on my own campus.

2. Garrett Gowen says:

Hi Jose,

If you need any resources I’d be happy to connect you with members of my team in the SGA who are working on these projects.