UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Trio of freshmen leading UMass hockey’s offense early in the season -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A guide to comic collecting in the Pioneer Valley -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Letter: What’s behind the curtains on Birthright trips? -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

FBI director’s fear-mongering view of data encryption is off the mark -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass Permaculture Initiative to add three new programs -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass field hockey stuns No. 1 Syracuse

The Massachusetts field hockey team is on top. At least for one day.

After getting downed 1-0 on a late goal in the 67th minute against No. 17 Richmond in Virginia on Saturday afternoon, UMass bounced back to stun the best team in the country, beating No. 1 Syracuse, 2-1, on Thursday afternoon in the first match of a three-game homestand at Garber Field.

It was the first time the Minutewomen have ever beaten a No. 1 team.

Senior defender Thando Zono provided the game-winning goal in the 63rd minute of play after freshman Allie Sabia chipped up a bouncing ball to the streaking Zono, who entered the circle on the right side before unleashing a diving blast to the opposite side of the cage, celebrating from the ground when she heard the distinct sound of a goal.

“When I went to the circle, I saw that other side of the cage – I’m like ‘I’m hitting it,’” Zono said. “My head was down, but when I heard it hit, it was just like Christmas.”

UMass coach Carla Tagliente said her team did everything they could be asked to do.

“It feels awesome,” Tagliente said. “Regardless of if it’s Syracuse or any No. 1 team, the one in front of their name is just a number. The bigger thing we needed to focus on today was UMass and focusing on what we needed to do to beat them.”

The Minutewomen (6-8) outshot the Orange (12-1) nine to six in the first half, but Syracuse took the first lead after freshman midfielder Alyssa Manley opened up the scoring in the 23rd minute, notching her second of the year on a rebound to take a 1-0 advantage.

Falling behind early created a sense of frustration rather than worry for Tagliente, which ignited a fire in Zono and the rest of the team.

“It definitely wasn’t worry. I would classify it as frustrated,” Tagliente said. “We had a flurry of shots in front of their goal mouth that didn’t go in, but we just needed to stop looking for the prettiest shot and take what was given to us.”

That would be the only time the Orange were ahead on the scoreboard. UMass freshman midfielder Noralie Weusthuis knotted the game up in the 56th minute on a deflection from low in the circle after sophomore Lauren Allymohamed maintained poise with the ball, moving it up field before putting a hard shot on the ground towards the cage.

“I saw (Allymohamed) with the ball and some empty space in the circle, so I ran in and tipped it,” Weusthuis said. “It was awesome, I’ve never scored a goal like that. It was huge, I feel like we deserved the good outcome for how we played.”

UMass also impressed in the cage with a standout performance by freshman goalkeeper Sam Carlino, who outdueled Leann Stiver, the country’s leader in goals against average and saves percentage heading into the game.

“I’m ecstatic,” Carlino said. “(Leann) played a great game, I do believe that we won – we are such a great team and I believe in our team. But I’m in awe, it’s amazing. The team played so well, we played as a unit today and, I mean, we just beat the No. 1 team in the country.”

St. Louis, VCU next on the menu

The Minutewomen don’t get much time to enjoy their victory as Saint Louis travels to Amherst on Friday afternoon for a 1 p.m. game.

The Billikens carry a 1-12 record entering the contest against Tagliente’s group.
SLU, led by Tori Lycett’s nine points, are 0-9 in program history against the Minutewomen and secured its only win of the season on Sept. 23.

The weekend wraps on Sunday against VCU when the Rams play UMass for the first time since they topped the Minutewomen on Oct. 28, 2001, and the second time in series history. Powered by Kelsey Scherrer’s 30 points, VCU will search for its first A-10 victory after falling to Temple, 2-1, on Oct. 5.

Peter Cappiello can be reached at pcappiel@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Cappiello.