UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

UMass men’s basketball has first practice open to public

Maria Uminski/Collegian

When Massachusetts men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg blew the whistle to start practice, the Minutemen darted to center court. Kellogg and the rest of the squad started clapping and cheering, embracing in high fives as if they’d just won their first game of the season.

It’s safe to say UMass is ready for the season to start.

The Minutemen had their first practice open to the public on Friday evening at the Curry Hicks Cage as the squad enters a season filled with expectations and a greater sense of excitement and anticipation after the program’s resurrection last year. UMass went from a .500 season in 2010 to a 25-12 mark last year and a trip to the National Invitation Tournament Final Four.

“I’m ready to get started for the basketball stuff to see how far we can go with this team and how much they’ve improved,” Kellogg said before practice.

Health will be an important determiner of the Minutemen’s potential this season. Forward Sampson Carter, center Cady Lalanne and guard Jesse Morgan are all coming off injuries but all participated fully in practice.

Carter is coming off a hip injury that sidelined him in late November. He said he feels good and Kellogg says Carter is “about as full strength as he can be.”

Lalanne returns from a foot injury that cost him the final three months of the season and Morgan broke his right wrist – on his shooting hand – in July. Kellogg says both are at full strength. Morgan’s stroke did not appear hindered in practice and Lalanne looked explosive jumping off his foot.

Kellogg says he’s going to rely on the players to let him know if they need a break or need to rest their injuries.

“They’re saying they’re 100 percent so if they’re 100 percent, then I guess I can push them as hard as they can go,” Kellogg said. “I’m gonna leave it up to them and say, ‘If you need a break or you’re not feeling well or you feel like something’s not right, then let me know.’”

Notes

Kellogg said there are no updates on filling the opening in UMass’ schedule.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner.