UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

UMass men’s basketball has first practice open to public

Maria Uminski/Collegian

When Massachusetts men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg blew the whistle to start practice, the Minutemen darted to center court. Kellogg and the rest of the squad started clapping and cheering, embracing in high fives as if they’d just won their first game of the season.

It’s safe to say UMass is ready for the season to start.

The Minutemen had their first practice open to the public on Friday evening at the Curry Hicks Cage as the squad enters a season filled with expectations and a greater sense of excitement and anticipation after the program’s resurrection last year. UMass went from a .500 season in 2010 to a 25-12 mark last year and a trip to the National Invitation Tournament Final Four.

“I’m ready to get started for the basketball stuff to see how far we can go with this team and how much they’ve improved,” Kellogg said before practice.

Health will be an important determiner of the Minutemen’s potential this season. Forward Sampson Carter, center Cady Lalanne and guard Jesse Morgan are all coming off injuries but all participated fully in practice.

Carter is coming off a hip injury that sidelined him in late November. He said he feels good and Kellogg says Carter is “about as full strength as he can be.”

Lalanne returns from a foot injury that cost him the final three months of the season and Morgan broke his right wrist – on his shooting hand – in July. Kellogg says both are at full strength. Morgan’s stroke did not appear hindered in practice and Lalanne looked explosive jumping off his foot.

Kellogg says he’s going to rely on the players to let him know if they need a break or need to rest their injuries.

“They’re saying they’re 100 percent so if they’re 100 percent, then I guess I can push them as hard as they can go,” Kellogg said. “I’m gonna leave it up to them and say, ‘If you need a break or you’re not feeling well or you feel like something’s not right, then let me know.’”

Notes

Kellogg said there are no updates on filling the opening in UMass’ schedule.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner.