Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

4.0-magnitude earthquake hits New England

A 4.0-magnitude earthquake struck New England last night.

MCT

The earthquake hit about three miles west of Hollis Center, Maine, which borders New Hampshire, at 7:12 p.m., according to Susan Hoover, geophysicist at the United States Geological Survey National Information Center.

Hoover said the earthquake was “felt pretty extensively” across New England and parts of Canada. She also said that people in parts of western New York felt tremors of the quake.

The USGS also reported tremors in Maine towns Lake Arrowhead, Springvale and Sanford, as well as Manchester, N.H., and Boston.

As of 8 last night, there had been no reports of injuries or damage to the USGS, Hoover said.

The Amherst fire and police departments also didn’t receive any reports of damage or injuries.

The USGS initially claimed the earthquake as a 4.5- and 4.6-magnitude earthquake. Hoover said that the initial numbers are “preliminary numbers” that change.

Hoover labeled the earthquake as “weak, light or moderate.”

“We usually refer to it as a light earthquake,” Hoover said.

Since 1970, there have been four other earthquakes that were 4.5 or higher in magnitude within a 124-mile range of the area where last night’s quake was centered, Hoover said.

Because of the geological makeup of the New England area, earthquakes of this size aren’t commonly felt in New England, Hoover said.

These size earthquakes “aren’t extremely rare, but not extremely common,” Hoover said, adding that they happen “all the time” in California and the Northwest.

“Earthquakes of this size occur frequently in California,” she said.

The earthquake was quite the buzz on social media platforms, including Twitter. Four of the top trends on Twitter late last night were related to the earthquake.

Herb Scribner can be reached at editor@dailycollegian.com.

You must be logged in to post a comment.