Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Cady Lalanne has big shoes, role to fill

Sophomore center Cady Lalanne knows how critical his role is to the Massachusetts men’s basketball team this season.

With the graduation of energetic and active center Sean Carter, Lalanne feels it’s on his shoulders to replace Carter’s intensity on the floor, something he feels comfortable doing.

“I feel like that’s in me and that’s natural,” Lalanne said before practice on Friday. “Now I just gotta get that motor up and keep it running consistently every time I’m on the court.”

But Lalanne has other things to worry about besides bringing energy to the floor. The Orlando, Fla., native is coming off a foot injury that forced him to miss the final 23 games of the season.

Lalanne was limited to a spectator role for the vast majority of the season, sitting on the bench as the Minutemen embarked on a wrecking course through the Atlantic 10 tournament in Atlantic City, N.J., and the National Invitation Tournament in New York City, which saw UMass win five of its last seven games of the season, capped by a loss to Stanford in the NIT semifinals at Madison Square Garden.

Despite missing a significant portion of the season, Lalanne feels that sitting on the bench offered him alternative, yet valuable, learning experience.

“I learned so much more from a coach’s point of view instead of the player’s point of view,” Lalanne said. “As I was sitting there, the coaches would always bump me (with) something, ‘Look at this, look at that.’ So I learned a lot of the little things that usually a player wouldn’t notice but coaches see it all the time.”

As for his foot injury, Lalanne says it doesn’t enter his head once he takes the court.

“As soon as I’m out there playing, I don’t think about it any more at all,” he said. “If I feel a little discomfort in it, I’ll probably slow down a little bit and tell the trainers, but if there’s no discomfort, no bad feeling, I just don’t think about it at all.”

Lalanne didn’t appear to be hindered by the injury on Friday, wasting no opportunity to push off the court and sky over the rim during drills.

Post presence needed

It’s no secret that the Minutemen want to get out in transition this season, just as they did last year. With electric point guard and A-10 first-teamer Chaz Williams running the point, UMass tries to maximize its athleticism on the fast break.

But as teams started to neutralize the Minutemen’s effectiveness in transition by darting back on defense, the glaring need for a post scorer was exposed at times, especially in the team’s half-court sets. If the opposition contested UMass’ shooters on the perimeter, it struggled to find easy baskets on offense.

Lalanne likely would have helped the Minutemen in that regard if not for his injury. Carter, after all, was more of a defensive-oriented big man that had occasional glimpses of post-production on offense.

Lalanne feels the lack of a post scorer hindered UMass last season.

“I feel like last year (that was) probably one of the down falls, even Sean knew that last year because he even knew himself that he’s not a great post scorer like that,” Lalanne said. “I feel like this year I gotta be a presence in the paint as a go-to basket if they need me in the post, I can easily turn around for a hook shot.”

In his limited action, Lalanne averaged 6.7 points per game while shooting 54.9 percent from the field.

With an already explosive backcourt, Lalanne’s play in the post could catapult the Minutemen into a legitimate contender for an NCAA tournament bid come March.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner.