Town of Amherst Crime Log: October 22

This weekend, officers from the Amherst Police Department handled 15 noise complaint calls, resulting in seven arrests or summons, as well as nine cases of liquor law violations, several accounts of minors in possession of alcohol, and a handful of motor vehicle accident reports. Many of the motor vehicle accidents stemmed from persons operating under the influence.

“Folks have so many options to get home,” Detective David Foster of the Amherst Police Department said. “You don’t need to drive drunk.”

On Friday at 10:09 p.m., a 33-year-old Granby man received a summons on charges of using a motor vehicle without authority and larceny over $250 for allegedly stealing a car, which was later recovered at 189 Village Park on 497 East Pleasant St.

About two hours later, police received a noise complaint for 11 Eames Place. According to Foster, there were about 75 to 100 people gathered there, adding that it took officers between 20 and 30 minutes to clear the party.

Kelly Norton, 18, of Abington, was arrested on charges of resisting arrest and being a minor in possession of alcohol. Reed Smith, 27, of Wellesley, and Christopher Roy, of Wenham, were both arrested on charges of violating the town’s noise bylaws and issued nuisance house.

Early Saturday at 1:18 a.m., police stopped a motor vehicle in the vicinity of 950 North Pleasant St. for a defective license plate light, according to Foster.

Jacob Eisenhard, 22, of Ardmore, Pa., was arrested on charges of operating under the influence of liquor and a motor vehicle lights violation.

At 1:30 a.m., officers responded to a noise complaint for 171 Lincoln Ave. apartment 1N. There was an “on-going party on arrival” with many people being loud outside, Foster said.

Greg Lucas, 20, of West Roxbury, was arrested on a charge of unlawful noise. Foster said Lucas was “uncooperative” with police. In addition, a 21-year-old Boston man received a summons for unlawful noise.

“It’s OK to go to school and have fun, but know when enough is enough. Know when it’s time to go home,” Foster said.

“We’re not asking a lot,” he said, referring to college partiers.

Police received a call of a motor vehicle crash near 266 East Hadley Road around 2:35 a.m., after operator Gavin Portwood, 21, of Pepperell, allegedly crashed a blue 2000 Dodge Durango into a tree “on purpose,” according to Foster.

Portwood was arrested on charges of unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, operating under the influence of liquor, marked lanes violation and wanton destruction of property over $250.

At 3:01 a.m., officers responded to a call for a fight in the vicinity of 324 Meadow St. A 21-year-old man was found with non-life threatening injuries and was transported for medical help.

About 9:45 Saturday night, officers arrested Derek Callahan-King, 33, of Amherst, on a charge of allegedly operating a gray 2002 Honda under the influence of liquor in the vicinity of 170 East Hadley Road.

Police received a noise complaint call at 11:31 p.m. at 119 Blue Hills Road, where they encountered a 100-plus person party upon arrival, according to Foster, who added that the residents “refused to answer the door.”

Max Levy, 21, of Hewlett, N.Y., was arrested on a charge of unlawful noise.

The rest of the weekend arrests were related to allegedly operating motor vehicles under the influence.

On Sunday morning about 1:30, officers responded to a motor vehicle crash of a red 2004 Toyota near the Norwottuck Fish and Game Association at 1348 West St.

According to Foster, after the vehicle rolled over once and slid down a hill, operator Alex Koblinski, 22, of South Deerfield, was able to pull himself out. He was arrested on a charge of operating under the influence of liquor.

Dmitry Ivanov, 21, of Belchertown, was arrested about 11:50 p.m. Sunday on charges of operating under the influence of liquor and failing to yield at an intersection near the intersection of 11 Amity St. and North Pleasant Street. According to Foster, Ivanov was allegedly refused entry into McMurphy’s Uptown Tavern, located at 37 North Pleasant St, due to his intoxication level then got into a red 2012 BMW and “headed down Amity St.”

At 1:18 a.m. Monday, John Paul Vanasse, 29, of Belchertown, was arrested on a charge of operating under the influence in a yellow 2005 Nissan coupe. Foster said Vanasse is linked to a “previous road rage incident.”

Chelsie Field can be reached at [email protected].