Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

UMass field hockey extends winning streak to 5 games

Cale Belisle/Collegian

The Massachusetts field hockey team is on a roll.

Two weeks after the team’s outlook appeared bleak after a shutout loss to Richmond that dropped them to a 5-8 record, the Minutewomen are now winners of five straight after a convincing 5-1 victory on the road against Saint Joseph’s on Sunday.

With two games left in the regular season, UMass (10-8, 4-1 Atlantic 10) is now tied for second place in the conference. Coach Carla Tagliente is impressed with how well her squad has been playing recently.

“It is not that we are playing OK hockey and squeaking out of these games,” Tagliente said. “We are dominating and playing really excellent hockey.”

Although the Minutewomen offense scored two early goals from senior defenders Callie Sweigart and Thando Zono to give them a 2-0 lead, the defense stole the show in the first half.

The Hawks (4-13, 1-4 A-10) offense only mustered one shot and didn’t earn a penalty corner throughout the first half. Tagliente said that her defense has been instrumental in the team’s recent success.

“The defense has been doing great and I think that they should be getting a lot of credit for where we are at,” Tagliente said. “Over these past five games and throughout the season they have really stepped up and made some adjustments.”

After UMass was unable to score again before the end of the half, SJU proved it would not go down easily at the start of the second half, as it cut the deficit to one in the 45th minute.

But that was the only goal the Hawks scored. UMass senior forward Nicole Cordero answered right back with her team-leading 12th goal of the season two minutes later as she tipped in a deflected penalty corner shot by senior forward Kim Young.

Freshman midfielder Allie Sabia and redshirt sophomore midfielder Marisa Dunn added two insurance goals, which also happened to be both of their first career goals, to give UMass a commanding 5-1 advantage.

UMass overcomes weak start to down La Salle

The Minutewomen may have struggled in the first half of their 4-1 victory over La Salle on Friday, but they certainly packed a strong second half punch as they scored three second-half goals en route to the win.

“It was a bit of a slow start in the first half, but we made some adjustments and came out strong in the second half,” Tagliente said.

The senior class accounted for three of UMass’ goals. Tagliente said that she has taken notice of the extraordinary leadership her team possesses.

“The seniors have been stepping up on and off the field and have been doing a great job,” Tagliente said. “We have different people step up at critical points in games, but I think the thing you don’t see is when they are bringing the team together when we have moments where we are falling apart a little bit.”

UMass took the lead in the 30th minute when senior forward Kate Heineman scored her first goal of the season on a rebound from a missed shot by freshman midfielder Noralie Weusthuis.

Cordero opened the second half with her first of two goals on the game at the 39:16 mark, and then Weusthuis built the lead to 3-0 with a goal in the 50th minute.

La Salle (7-9, 2-2 A-10) made things interesting just over three minutes later when it notched its only goal of the game to cut the deficit to 3-1.

Cordero capped the scoring in the 66th minute with her second goal of the game.

UMass will be back in action on Friday against Temple at 3 p.m. at Garber Field.

Matt Levine can be reached at matthewl@student.umass.edu.