UMass women’s basketball defeats Saint Peter’s for third straight win -

UMass Crime Log

Thursday, Oct. 18

At approximately 6:33 p.m., a University of Massachusetts police officer was dispatched to John Adams Hall on a reported larceny. According to UMass Police Department Deputy Chief Patrick Archbald, the victim had forgotten the laptop in a 19th-floor common room at around 4:20 p.m. When he returned at about 6:15 the same evening, the computer was gone with the case left behind. The laptop, a Macbook Pro, is valued at approximately $3,000.

Saturday, Oct. 20

At approximately 2:08 a.m., 23-year-old Wade Jones, of Fitchburg, was arrested on charges of operating under the influence of alcohol and speeding in violation of a special regulation. The officer on patrol estimated the operator to be traveling 50 miles per hour in a 35 mph zone, eastbound on Massachusetts Avenue, and followed him to a parking lot off of Nutting Street. Jones stated that he had been drinking. He failed both sobriety tests – the walk-and-turn and the one-leg stand – and his preliminary breath test (PBT) measured at 0.15, nearly twice the legal limit. Archbald stated that in a normal case, going 15 miles over the speed limit is not an arrestable offense, but since the operator was under the influence, that was listed as a charge.

“Even though the initial infraction is civil, once you create a criminal act, they both become criminal and both will go through the criminal case together,” Archbald said.

At around 6:20 p.m., an officer observed what appeared to be “high school-aged kids” loading alcohol off of a school bus in the vicinity of the Fine Arts Center. He called in some plainclothes officers to check out the situation and they followed a 1999 black Chevrolet Tahoe that was believed to be involved. After observing erratic operation, the vehicle was pulled over in Lot 34 by a UMPD lieutenant who saw empty boxes that had held alcoholic beverages and found that a number of people – all of whom were returning from a UMass football game that was held earlier in the day at Gillette Stadium – had been drinking. The operator stated that he had not been drinking and the officer did not detect an odor of alcohol on his breath. He was asked to perform field sobriety tests and performed them with “little failure,” according to the report. He was then asked to take a PBT and stated that he would comply, but when the officer went to perform the test, he refused. Then, with the operators consent, the vehicle was towed away. No arrests were made.

At around 8:20 p.m., 18-year-old UMass students Anthony Edward Lopatowski of St. James N.Y., Joseph Vinchenzo Pami of Verona, N.J., and Alexander Anthony D’Arminio, a biology student from Succasunna, N.J., were arrested on charges of minors in possession of alcohol. A plainclothes officer was stationed outside Kennedy Hall when Lopatowski, the driver of a 2002 black Toyota Tundra, pulled into Kennedy Drive and stopped. Before Lopatowski and Pami exited the vehicle, they were approached by two other individuals, one of whom was D’Arminio. Pami joined the two outside of the truck and Lopatowski entered the bed of the pickup and handed three 1.75 liter bottles of Rubinoff Vodka, one 1.75 liter bottle of Admiral Nelson Spiced Rum, one 1.75 liter bottle of Sky Vodka, one 1.75 liter bottle of Svedka Vodka and the contents of two 30-packs of Busch Light to the two others, who put them into backpacks. To the officer, the arrested parties did not look over 21, so he checked the ages, was correct in his assumption, and placed the three underage individuals under arrest and confiscated the alcohol.

Sunday, Oct. 21

At around 1 a.m., 20-year-old Jacob M. Dibrindisi of Florence was arrested on a charge of minor in possession of alcohol. An officer was on a call in the area of Totman Gymnasium when he noticed a male sitting in the grass arguing with a female party. The male, later identified as Dibrindisi was provoking the situation and the officer approached, noticing that his eyes were glassy and bloodshot. It was discovered that he had alcohol in his possession and he was arrested. According to Archbald, the activity between Dibrindisi was “a possible ongoing occurrence.”

Taylor Snow can be reached at tsnow@dailycollegian.com.

2 Responses to “UMass Crime Log”
  1. Bill Evans says:

On Saturday night there was a car accident at Elements Spa on Main St. Was the driver ever apprehended?

2. Bill Evans says:

Saw driver pile through handicapped ramp rail and hit front of store, driver drove off after about 8 people got out of the car, some limping, but none evidently seriously injured. Driver left the scene in what looked like a Mustang, black or dark blue. Two door car, whole front end trashed. Can’t imagine he made it far, but I’m not seeing any news about it.