Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

How to celebrate Halloween if Hurricane Sandy hits

Flickr

Flickr

With Hurricane Sandy coming our way and leaving us unsure of how hard it will hit and whether or not we will be locked indoors, we need to make Halloween plans accordingly. So here are some ideas to celebrate the holiday if the hurricane does leave us trapped in our rooms.

First and foremost, get your friends over to your place before the worst of the storm hits; otherwise you won’t have anyone to enjoy it with. Also, make sure that you stock up on extra supplies for them or ask people to bring food, water, etc. with them.

Board Games

Though this is old school and often found lame, it’s also a classic. Also, you don’t need to keep strictly to the original rules, change it up and make it fun! You can even make it Halloween specific. For example, play Monopoly and change the chance cards and community chest to “trick” and “treat” cards. You and your friends can get creative and write your own rules. You can make it specific to Halloween and even to the group of people there. If you’re of drinking age you can also change luxury tax from paying money to taking drinks. Get creative with requirements to get out of jail, make someone do something embarrassing before letting them escape. You can find fun adaptations with just about any game. Jenna Marbles has some pretty creative ideas on this topic, so check out her video on Youtube!

Costume Contests

One of the best parts of Halloween is dressing up. Force your friends to get creative with this by having a costume contest. Being trapped indoors might put a hamper on this if people didn’t bring their costumes with them but just have them run around looking for different items that they can turn into a costume. This can also be used to make your lame friends who won’t wear a costume dress up. Pick a winner for the best costume and you can either get them an actual prize, such as candy or money, or give them the power to make someone else drink or do something embarrassing, or simply just give them bragging rights.

Halloween Movies

This is the best way to spend Halloween when trapped indoors; it just gets you into the spirit of Halloween. You can watch make-you-so-scared-you-can’t-sleep-with-the-lights-off movies such as Paranormal Activity, classic-but-not-so-scary-anymore movies such as anything by Hitchcock, or definitely-not-scary-but-all-about-Halloween movies like Hocus Pocus. Either way you’re going to get into the Halloween spirit. If watching movies sounds boring to you and you are of age (of course, be responsible kids) turn the movie into a drinking game. The easy way to liven up any party.

Don’t let Hurricane Sandy ruin your Halloween, get your friends together, stock up on supplies, and celebrate the holiday like there isn’t a (possibly) devastating storm going on outside.

Kate Casler can be reached at kcasler@student.umass.edu.