UMass women’s lacrosse draws Jacksonville in first round of 2015 NCAA tournament -

Sunday, May 3, 2015

UMass baseball’s ninth inning rally falls short in series finale with Richmond -

Sunday, May 3, 2015

UMass softball eliminated from A-10 playoff contention as 2015 season ends -

Sunday, May 3, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse takes home seventh straight A-10 championship -

Sunday, May 3, 2015

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin goes undrafted in NFL draft, signs with Indianapolis Colts as undrafted free agent -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse topped by Towson in CAA title game -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

UMPD investigating burglary in Washington Hall -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Marty Meehan’s appointment as UMass president comes as little surprise -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to A-10 championship with 12-3 win over George Mason -

Friday, May 1, 2015

Not done yet: UMass men’s soccer’s Matt Keys and hockey’s Troy Power still pursuing pro dreams after graduation -

Friday, May 1, 2015

UMass Lowell Chancellor Marty Meehan elected president of UMass system -

Friday, May 1, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse upsets No. 1 seed Fairfield to advance to CAA championship -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Walk-off home run sinks UMass softball in pitching duel with UConn -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass rowing looks to defend A-10 title Saturday in New Jersey -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass search committee names two finalists for system president -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Senior Columns 2014-2015 -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Krauthammer critiques Obama doctrine -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass Baseball goes into weekend on a major skid -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

‘Mad Men’ remains the best of the best -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse set for rematch with Fairfield in CAA tournament -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

How to celebrate Halloween if Hurricane Sandy hits

Flickr

Flickr

With Hurricane Sandy coming our way and leaving us unsure of how hard it will hit and whether or not we will be locked indoors, we need to make Halloween plans accordingly. So here are some ideas to celebrate the holiday if the hurricane does leave us trapped in our rooms.

First and foremost, get your friends over to your place before the worst of the storm hits; otherwise you won’t have anyone to enjoy it with. Also, make sure that you stock up on extra supplies for them or ask people to bring food, water, etc. with them.

Board Games

Though this is old school and often found lame, it’s also a classic. Also, you don’t need to keep strictly to the original rules, change it up and make it fun! You can even make it Halloween specific. For example, play Monopoly and change the chance cards and community chest to “trick” and “treat” cards. You and your friends can get creative and write your own rules. You can make it specific to Halloween and even to the group of people there. If you’re of drinking age you can also change luxury tax from paying money to taking drinks. Get creative with requirements to get out of jail, make someone do something embarrassing before letting them escape. You can find fun adaptations with just about any game. Jenna Marbles has some pretty creative ideas on this topic, so check out her video on Youtube!

Costume Contests

One of the best parts of Halloween is dressing up. Force your friends to get creative with this by having a costume contest. Being trapped indoors might put a hamper on this if people didn’t bring their costumes with them but just have them run around looking for different items that they can turn into a costume. This can also be used to make your lame friends who won’t wear a costume dress up. Pick a winner for the best costume and you can either get them an actual prize, such as candy or money, or give them the power to make someone else drink or do something embarrassing, or simply just give them bragging rights.

Halloween Movies

This is the best way to spend Halloween when trapped indoors; it just gets you into the spirit of Halloween. You can watch make-you-so-scared-you-can’t-sleep-with-the-lights-off movies such as Paranormal Activity, classic-but-not-so-scary-anymore movies such as anything by Hitchcock, or definitely-not-scary-but-all-about-Halloween movies like Hocus Pocus. Either way you’re going to get into the Halloween spirit. If watching movies sounds boring to you and you are of age (of course, be responsible kids) turn the movie into a drinking game. The easy way to liven up any party.

Don’t let Hurricane Sandy ruin your Halloween, get your friends together, stock up on supplies, and celebrate the holiday like there isn’t a (possibly) devastating storm going on outside.

Kate Casler can be reached at kcasler@student.umass.edu.