UMass football can’t overcome four third quarter Mississippi State touchdowns, fall 47-35 Saturday -

UMass football’s fourth quarter comeback attempt falls short against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Despite improvement, UMass football still can’t capture first marquee FBS win -

MassPIRG kicks off for the fall semester -

UMass Resistance Studies Initiative hosts activist and author George Lakey -

UMass field hockey readies for tough tests against Stanford, Boston College -

Calling the shots: everything you need to know about the flu vaccine -

UMass assistant Professor speaks about oppression of American Indians -

Astronomy department head hosting sundial and sky-watching event -

UMass football looks to pull off upset against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Comis? Ford? Here’s how I would handle the UMass quarterback situation this weekend against Mississippi State -

An unofficial presidential debate drinking game for the unruly masses -

Stop sweating the small stuff -

In defense of being uncomfortable -

Please go to sleep -

VIDEO – ‘Life in the Dollhouse: Wes Anderson and the Dollhouse Aesthetic’ -

Student struck by car near UMass’ Mullins Center -

President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Nick Rampone anticipate productive year at SGA -

Symposium hosts discussion on safety for journalism students -

Andrew Ford, Ross Comis still battling for UMass football’s starting QB position -

How to celebrate Halloween if Hurricane Sandy hits

Flickr

Flickr

With Hurricane Sandy coming our way and leaving us unsure of how hard it will hit and whether or not we will be locked indoors, we need to make Halloween plans accordingly. So here are some ideas to celebrate the holiday if the hurricane does leave us trapped in our rooms.

First and foremost, get your friends over to your place before the worst of the storm hits; otherwise you won’t have anyone to enjoy it with. Also, make sure that you stock up on extra supplies for them or ask people to bring food, water, etc. with them.

Board Games

Though this is old school and often found lame, it’s also a classic. Also, you don’t need to keep strictly to the original rules, change it up and make it fun! You can even make it Halloween specific. For example, play Monopoly and change the chance cards and community chest to “trick” and “treat” cards. You and your friends can get creative and write your own rules. You can make it specific to Halloween and even to the group of people there. If you’re of drinking age you can also change luxury tax from paying money to taking drinks. Get creative with requirements to get out of jail, make someone do something embarrassing before letting them escape. You can find fun adaptations with just about any game. Jenna Marbles has some pretty creative ideas on this topic, so check out her video on Youtube!

Costume Contests

One of the best parts of Halloween is dressing up. Force your friends to get creative with this by having a costume contest. Being trapped indoors might put a hamper on this if people didn’t bring their costumes with them but just have them run around looking for different items that they can turn into a costume. This can also be used to make your lame friends who won’t wear a costume dress up. Pick a winner for the best costume and you can either get them an actual prize, such as candy or money, or give them the power to make someone else drink or do something embarrassing, or simply just give them bragging rights.

Halloween Movies

This is the best way to spend Halloween when trapped indoors; it just gets you into the spirit of Halloween. You can watch make-you-so-scared-you-can’t-sleep-with-the-lights-off movies such as Paranormal Activity, classic-but-not-so-scary-anymore movies such as anything by Hitchcock, or definitely-not-scary-but-all-about-Halloween movies like Hocus Pocus. Either way you’re going to get into the Halloween spirit. If watching movies sounds boring to you and you are of age (of course, be responsible kids) turn the movie into a drinking game. The easy way to liven up any party.

Don’t let Hurricane Sandy ruin your Halloween, get your friends together, stock up on supplies, and celebrate the holiday like there isn’t a (possibly) devastating storm going on outside.

Kate Casler can be reached at kcasler@student.umass.edu.