DEVELOPING: Police investigating apparent death in McNamara Hall -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Protect Our Breasts runs Breast Cancer Awareness campaign -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Underclassmen lead UMass hockey to first victory of the season -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS: A classic revitalized -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Improve the FAC -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students at UMass rally to show support for Hong Kong -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Duolingo makes learning a language easier -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s swimming and diving falls to Army; women’s team gets revenge -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass field hockey gets back to .500 with win over BU Sunday -

Monday, October 20, 2014

‘Columbus Day’ demonstrates ignorant view of the past -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students for Justice in Palestine aims to spread awareness, not argue -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Mending fences: SGA and Amherst officials work together to improve town/gown relations -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer drops 5-0 decision to Saint Louis -

Monday, October 20, 2014

The Phablet continues to grow and maintain popularity -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dayton Flyers soar at Rudd Field, 4-1 over the Minutemen -

Sunday, October 19, 2014

UMass football’s Sharpe continues his banner season in 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Shadrach Abrokwah has career day in UMass football’s 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan. -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

UMass tops Eastern Michigan 36-14, puts together first FBS winning streak -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Minutemen fall to Dayton 4-1 due to sloppy start -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

How to celebrate Halloween if Hurricane Sandy hits

Flickr

Flickr

With Hurricane Sandy coming our way and leaving us unsure of how hard it will hit and whether or not we will be locked indoors, we need to make Halloween plans accordingly. So here are some ideas to celebrate the holiday if the hurricane does leave us trapped in our rooms.

First and foremost, get your friends over to your place before the worst of the storm hits; otherwise you won’t have anyone to enjoy it with. Also, make sure that you stock up on extra supplies for them or ask people to bring food, water, etc. with them.

Board Games

Though this is old school and often found lame, it’s also a classic. Also, you don’t need to keep strictly to the original rules, change it up and make it fun! You can even make it Halloween specific. For example, play Monopoly and change the chance cards and community chest to “trick” and “treat” cards. You and your friends can get creative and write your own rules. You can make it specific to Halloween and even to the group of people there. If you’re of drinking age you can also change luxury tax from paying money to taking drinks. Get creative with requirements to get out of jail, make someone do something embarrassing before letting them escape. You can find fun adaptations with just about any game. Jenna Marbles has some pretty creative ideas on this topic, so check out her video on Youtube!

Costume Contests

One of the best parts of Halloween is dressing up. Force your friends to get creative with this by having a costume contest. Being trapped indoors might put a hamper on this if people didn’t bring their costumes with them but just have them run around looking for different items that they can turn into a costume. This can also be used to make your lame friends who won’t wear a costume dress up. Pick a winner for the best costume and you can either get them an actual prize, such as candy or money, or give them the power to make someone else drink or do something embarrassing, or simply just give them bragging rights.

Halloween Movies

This is the best way to spend Halloween when trapped indoors; it just gets you into the spirit of Halloween. You can watch make-you-so-scared-you-can’t-sleep-with-the-lights-off movies such as Paranormal Activity, classic-but-not-so-scary-anymore movies such as anything by Hitchcock, or definitely-not-scary-but-all-about-Halloween movies like Hocus Pocus. Either way you’re going to get into the Halloween spirit. If watching movies sounds boring to you and you are of age (of course, be responsible kids) turn the movie into a drinking game. The easy way to liven up any party.

Don’t let Hurricane Sandy ruin your Halloween, get your friends together, stock up on supplies, and celebrate the holiday like there isn’t a (possibly) devastating storm going on outside.

Kate Casler can be reached at kcasler@student.umass.edu.