Amazon textbook contract ending in December 2018 -

UMass field hockey heads into crucial A-10 matchup -

2017 Hockey Special Issue -

International Relations Club tackles tough issues at ‘Foreign Policy Coffee Hour’ -

Sexual assault reports spike on campus -

Californian students react to wildfires back home -

‘My Little Pony: The Movie’ is a surprising animated treat, whether you’re a fan of the show or not -

With a young team, Carvel is preparing the UMass hockey team to thrive -

Letter: UMass hockey is great, but where are the students? -

Boino’s blast gives UMass men’s soccer sole possession of first place in the Atlantic 10 -

UMass freshmen look to play physical, make an impact and improve early on -

UMass hockey sets out to create new program, identity in 2017-18 -

Cale Makar: UMass hockey’s crown jewel -

Ames: If first four games are any indicator, this UMass hockey season could differ for the better -

Josh Couturier looks to find where he fits within UMass lineup -

The straw man fallacy: missing the point on Indigenous Peoples Day -

Power to the Thin Mint: improve the Girls Scouts program -

‘Blade Runner 2049’ has a lot of ideas that it fails to develop -

Early season challenge awaits for UMass hockey in weekend set with Ohio State -

UMass Professor Barbara Krauthamer receives award from Association of Black Women Historians -

How to celebrate Halloween if Hurricane Sandy hits

Flickr

Flickr

With Hurricane Sandy coming our way and leaving us unsure of how hard it will hit and whether or not we will be locked indoors, we need to make Halloween plans accordingly. So here are some ideas to celebrate the holiday if the hurricane does leave us trapped in our rooms.

First and foremost, get your friends over to your place before the worst of the storm hits; otherwise you won’t have anyone to enjoy it with. Also, make sure that you stock up on extra supplies for them or ask people to bring food, water, etc. with them.

Board Games

Though this is old school and often found lame, it’s also a classic. Also, you don’t need to keep strictly to the original rules, change it up and make it fun! You can even make it Halloween specific. For example, play Monopoly and change the chance cards and community chest to “trick” and “treat” cards. You and your friends can get creative and write your own rules. You can make it specific to Halloween and even to the group of people there. If you’re of drinking age you can also change luxury tax from paying money to taking drinks. Get creative with requirements to get out of jail, make someone do something embarrassing before letting them escape. You can find fun adaptations with just about any game. Jenna Marbles has some pretty creative ideas on this topic, so check out her video on Youtube!

Costume Contests

One of the best parts of Halloween is dressing up. Force your friends to get creative with this by having a costume contest. Being trapped indoors might put a hamper on this if people didn’t bring their costumes with them but just have them run around looking for different items that they can turn into a costume. This can also be used to make your lame friends who won’t wear a costume dress up. Pick a winner for the best costume and you can either get them an actual prize, such as candy or money, or give them the power to make someone else drink or do something embarrassing, or simply just give them bragging rights.

Halloween Movies

This is the best way to spend Halloween when trapped indoors; it just gets you into the spirit of Halloween. You can watch make-you-so-scared-you-can’t-sleep-with-the-lights-off movies such as Paranormal Activity, classic-but-not-so-scary-anymore movies such as anything by Hitchcock, or definitely-not-scary-but-all-about-Halloween movies like Hocus Pocus. Either way you’re going to get into the Halloween spirit. If watching movies sounds boring to you and you are of age (of course, be responsible kids) turn the movie into a drinking game. The easy way to liven up any party.

Don’t let Hurricane Sandy ruin your Halloween, get your friends together, stock up on supplies, and celebrate the holiday like there isn’t a (possibly) devastating storm going on outside.

Kate Casler can be reached at kcasler@student.umass.edu.