Sloppy second half plagues UMass in 65-53 loss to Richmond on Senior Night -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

RSO brings concepts to life through dance -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Underwoods deal with a dwindling hand of “Cards” in an exciting, topical season -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Chris Kyle: An American hero -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Ballot question asks for increased student health fee to hire new CCPH staff -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

“Parks and Recreation” goes out on a good, if familiar, note -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Why opinion journalism matters -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

UMass to retire Calipari jersey -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

“Hot Tub Time Machine 2” a disappointing comedy sequel -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

UMass opens season against Kentucky -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Opportunity knocks for UMass hockey -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Ludacris finalized as third performer at “Bring the Spring!” concert -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Minutewomen advance to A-10 second round -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Offensive woes frustrate UMass in loss to Richmond -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Minutewomen enter tough weekend schedule -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Video monitoring equipment installed throughout Amherst in preparation for ‘Blarney’ -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Professor Neil Forbes receives $1.56 million grant to develop cancer-killing Salmonella -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

UMass, Trey Davis ready for Richmond and Kendall Anthony -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Milan Fashion Week mixes the old with the new -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Smartphone surge following historic net neutrality decision shows relationship between technology and consumers -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals turn up the heat with new album

Flickr/photosteve101

If you want a real heartbreak album put down the T. Swift and pick up Grace Potter and the Nocturnals new album, ‘The Lion, The Beast, The Beat.’ Sixteen tracks make up the deluxe edition of the album which is well worth the cost on either iTunes or the old school CD. The power anthem “Never Go Back” is an instant hit that you can’t help singing along to and if you’re going through a bad breakup or just a rough patch, this is your go to ‘get over it’ song. The album also features guest appearances by Kenny Chesney and Willie Nelson who fit perfectly with Potter’s crooning voice and lend a different sound to songs like “Ragged Company” and an alternate version of “Stars.”

If you are looking for an album full of songs that you can listen to over and over again this is the album for you, each song has its own unique sound while still retaining that popular vibe that Grace Potter has cultivated. This album is sure to be the band’s most successful endeavor yet; with hits like “Never Go Back”, “Stars”, “Parachute Heart”, and “The Divide”, there is no shortage of material.  For fans of the earlier works this album is a departure from the more raw lyrical songs of past albums. The band really turns up the ante on this album by creating heartbreak songs that you want to dance to as well as belt at the top of your lungs. There is no shortage of attention paid to the lyrics on this album with poetic lines like, “My lonely heart was made for two, it beats too slowly without you” from the track “One Heart Missing.” Each song brings something different to the table and has a powerful ability to conjure an emotional response in listeners without being overwhelmingly “heartbreak-y” or mopey.

This album is perfect for fans of bands like Florence and the Machine, Coldplay, Ray LaMontagne and Adele. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals approach this album with a much stronger sound and have a badass heartbreak vibe that will appeal to anyone’s troubles which is the power behind great music. Check out the album on iTunes or pick up a copy today!

Maggie Cornelius can be reached at mcorneli@student.umass.edu.