Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

UMass baseball falls in first-ever Division I matchup with UMass Lowell 7-3 -

UMass baseball gets shut out in nonconference matchup with UConn -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Richmond, wins eighth straight Atlantic 10 championship -

UMass baseball salvages last game of weekend series with Richmond behind strong eighth inning -

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals turn up the heat with new album

Flickr/photosteve101

If you want a real heartbreak album put down the T. Swift and pick up Grace Potter and the Nocturnals new album, ‘The Lion, The Beast, The Beat.’ Sixteen tracks make up the deluxe edition of the album which is well worth the cost on either iTunes or the old school CD. The power anthem “Never Go Back” is an instant hit that you can’t help singing along to and if you’re going through a bad breakup or just a rough patch, this is your go to ‘get over it’ song. The album also features guest appearances by Kenny Chesney and Willie Nelson who fit perfectly with Potter’s crooning voice and lend a different sound to songs like “Ragged Company” and an alternate version of “Stars.”

If you are looking for an album full of songs that you can listen to over and over again this is the album for you, each song has its own unique sound while still retaining that popular vibe that Grace Potter has cultivated. This album is sure to be the band’s most successful endeavor yet; with hits like “Never Go Back”, “Stars”, “Parachute Heart”, and “The Divide”, there is no shortage of material.  For fans of the earlier works this album is a departure from the more raw lyrical songs of past albums. The band really turns up the ante on this album by creating heartbreak songs that you want to dance to as well as belt at the top of your lungs. There is no shortage of attention paid to the lyrics on this album with poetic lines like, “My lonely heart was made for two, it beats too slowly without you” from the track “One Heart Missing.” Each song brings something different to the table and has a powerful ability to conjure an emotional response in listeners without being overwhelmingly “heartbreak-y” or mopey.

This album is perfect for fans of bands like Florence and the Machine, Coldplay, Ray LaMontagne and Adele. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals approach this album with a much stronger sound and have a badass heartbreak vibe that will appeal to anyone’s troubles which is the power behind great music. Check out the album on iTunes or pick up a copy today!

Maggie Cornelius can be reached at mcorneli@student.umass.edu.