Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals turn up the heat with new album

Flickr/photosteve101

If you want a real heartbreak album put down the T. Swift and pick up Grace Potter and the Nocturnals new album, ‘The Lion, The Beast, The Beat.’ Sixteen tracks make up the deluxe edition of the album which is well worth the cost on either iTunes or the old school CD. The power anthem “Never Go Back” is an instant hit that you can’t help singing along to and if you’re going through a bad breakup or just a rough patch, this is your go to ‘get over it’ song. The album also features guest appearances by Kenny Chesney and Willie Nelson who fit perfectly with Potter’s crooning voice and lend a different sound to songs like “Ragged Company” and an alternate version of “Stars.”

If you are looking for an album full of songs that you can listen to over and over again this is the album for you, each song has its own unique sound while still retaining that popular vibe that Grace Potter has cultivated. This album is sure to be the band’s most successful endeavor yet; with hits like “Never Go Back”, “Stars”, “Parachute Heart”, and “The Divide”, there is no shortage of material.  For fans of the earlier works this album is a departure from the more raw lyrical songs of past albums. The band really turns up the ante on this album by creating heartbreak songs that you want to dance to as well as belt at the top of your lungs. There is no shortage of attention paid to the lyrics on this album with poetic lines like, “My lonely heart was made for two, it beats too slowly without you” from the track “One Heart Missing.” Each song brings something different to the table and has a powerful ability to conjure an emotional response in listeners without being overwhelmingly “heartbreak-y” or mopey.

This album is perfect for fans of bands like Florence and the Machine, Coldplay, Ray LaMontagne and Adele. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals approach this album with a much stronger sound and have a badass heartbreak vibe that will appeal to anyone’s troubles which is the power behind great music. Check out the album on iTunes or pick up a copy today!

Maggie Cornelius can be reached at mcorneli@student.umass.edu.