UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals turn up the heat with new album

Flickr/photosteve101

If you want a real heartbreak album put down the T. Swift and pick up Grace Potter and the Nocturnals new album, ‘The Lion, The Beast, The Beat.’ Sixteen tracks make up the deluxe edition of the album which is well worth the cost on either iTunes or the old school CD. The power anthem “Never Go Back” is an instant hit that you can’t help singing along to and if you’re going through a bad breakup or just a rough patch, this is your go to ‘get over it’ song. The album also features guest appearances by Kenny Chesney and Willie Nelson who fit perfectly with Potter’s crooning voice and lend a different sound to songs like “Ragged Company” and an alternate version of “Stars.”

If you are looking for an album full of songs that you can listen to over and over again this is the album for you, each song has its own unique sound while still retaining that popular vibe that Grace Potter has cultivated. This album is sure to be the band’s most successful endeavor yet; with hits like “Never Go Back”, “Stars”, “Parachute Heart”, and “The Divide”, there is no shortage of material.  For fans of the earlier works this album is a departure from the more raw lyrical songs of past albums. The band really turns up the ante on this album by creating heartbreak songs that you want to dance to as well as belt at the top of your lungs. There is no shortage of attention paid to the lyrics on this album with poetic lines like, “My lonely heart was made for two, it beats too slowly without you” from the track “One Heart Missing.” Each song brings something different to the table and has a powerful ability to conjure an emotional response in listeners without being overwhelmingly “heartbreak-y” or mopey.

This album is perfect for fans of bands like Florence and the Machine, Coldplay, Ray LaMontagne and Adele. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals approach this album with a much stronger sound and have a badass heartbreak vibe that will appeal to anyone’s troubles which is the power behind great music. Check out the album on iTunes or pick up a copy today!

Maggie Cornelius can be reached at mcorneli@student.umass.edu.