Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

Former BC commit Vatrano joins UMass

Former Boston College recruit Frank Vatrano has committed to the Massachusetts hockey team Tuesday, according to his Twitter account.

“Committed to play my college hockey at Umass Amherst,” Vatrano said via his Twitter account (@Frank_Vatrano).

While it has not been officially confirmed, it is expected that Vatrano will join the Minutemen as a freshman next season.

UMass coach John Micheletto was not available for comment due to NCAA regulations.

Vatrano, 18, is a 5-foot-10, 206 lbs forward who last played for the United States National Team Development Program and was considered one of the Top 40 prospects in the country, according to juniorhockey.com. He appeared in 60 games and collected 35 points on 16 goals and 19 assists in two seasons.

Vatrano played for the U.S. Under-18 team in last winter’s International Ice Hockey Federation World U18 Championship and registered two goals and two assists in six games.

Vatrano was considered one of the Eagles’ top incoming players this season, according to bcinterruption.com, and was projected to play on the third or fourth line for the defending national champions this season.

A report by the Eagle-Tribune back in September said that Vatrano did not leave on his own terms. It was believed he was dismissed from the team for academic reasons on Sept. 25, two weeks before the BC’s season-opener.

A report by juniorhockey.com stated just three days later that Vatrano failed to get through the NCAA Clearinghouse, which is a way of verifying the eligibility of a student-athlete by determining that they meet certain requirements in educational performance and background, meaning he would’ve been ineligible to play had he remained at Boston College.

As a result, Vatrano withdrew and joined the Boston Junior Bruins of the Eastern Junior Hockey League. By leaving, Vatrano regained his eligibility and opted to join UMass, according to Tuesday’s reports.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.

You must be logged in to post a comment.