UMass accepts $1.4 million donation from Monsanto -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Ryan Buckingham impresses in net for UMass men’s soccer -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A journey into the magical cuisine of Morocco -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Apple, Google and the looming war over data security: whatever happens, we win -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Say hello to some fall beer selections -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Men’s cross country increasing their pace at second season invitational -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Recipe: Bacon-wrapped chicken breast with sage butter -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

UHS branches off with a center for women -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

After tearing his ACL a year ago, Andrew Libby is again making plays for UMass football -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

UMass polo club open to those of all skill types -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Return to McGuirk: Football’s return creates anticipated spike in local business -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Pita Pockets: Cooking from the heart -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Morality will not win the war on terror -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

College-aged male reportedly bites student, threatens others outside Fine Arts Center -

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

First SGA meeting begins with a new Senate -

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

People’s climate march: Student voices -

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Jenny Dell speaks to UMass students as part of Homecoming week -

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Return to McGuirk: Students anticipate a ‘hyped,’ intimate environment at Homecoming -

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Close games have doomed UMass field hockey, but Sam Carlino remains a bright spot in net -

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer recuperating at midway point of season -

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Former BC commit Vatrano joins UMass

Former Boston College recruit Frank Vatrano has committed to the Massachusetts hockey team Tuesday, according to his Twitter account.

“Committed to play my college hockey at Umass Amherst,” Vatrano said via his Twitter account (@Frank_Vatrano).

While it has not been officially confirmed, it is expected that Vatrano will join the Minutemen as a freshman next season.

UMass coach John Micheletto was not available for comment due to NCAA regulations.

Vatrano, 18, is a 5-foot-10, 206 lbs forward who last played for the United States National Team Development Program and was considered one of the Top 40 prospects in the country, according to juniorhockey.com. He appeared in 60 games and collected 35 points on 16 goals and 19 assists in two seasons.

Vatrano played for the U.S. Under-18 team in last winter’s International Ice Hockey Federation World U18 Championship and registered two goals and two assists in six games.

Vatrano was considered one of the Eagles’ top incoming players this season, according to bcinterruption.com, and was projected to play on the third or fourth line for the defending national champions this season.

A report by the Eagle-Tribune back in September said that Vatrano did not leave on his own terms. It was believed he was dismissed from the team for academic reasons on Sept. 25, two weeks before the BC’s season-opener.

A report by juniorhockey.com stated just three days later that Vatrano failed to get through the NCAA Clearinghouse, which is a way of verifying the eligibility of a student-athlete by determining that they meet certain requirements in educational performance and background, meaning he would’ve been ineligible to play had he remained at Boston College.

As a result, Vatrano withdrew and joined the Boston Junior Bruins of the Eastern Junior Hockey League. By leaving, Vatrano regained his eligibility and opted to join UMass, according to Tuesday’s reports.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.