Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Former BC commit Vatrano joins UMass

Former Boston College recruit Frank Vatrano has committed to the Massachusetts hockey team Tuesday, according to his Twitter account.

“Committed to play my college hockey at Umass Amherst,” Vatrano said via his Twitter account (@Frank_Vatrano).

While it has not been officially confirmed, it is expected that Vatrano will join the Minutemen as a freshman next season.

UMass coach John Micheletto was not available for comment due to NCAA regulations.

Vatrano, 18, is a 5-foot-10, 206 lbs forward who last played for the United States National Team Development Program and was considered one of the Top 40 prospects in the country, according to juniorhockey.com. He appeared in 60 games and collected 35 points on 16 goals and 19 assists in two seasons.

Vatrano played for the U.S. Under-18 team in last winter’s International Ice Hockey Federation World U18 Championship and registered two goals and two assists in six games.

Vatrano was considered one of the Eagles’ top incoming players this season, according to bcinterruption.com, and was projected to play on the third or fourth line for the defending national champions this season.

A report by the Eagle-Tribune back in September said that Vatrano did not leave on his own terms. It was believed he was dismissed from the team for academic reasons on Sept. 25, two weeks before the BC’s season-opener.

A report by juniorhockey.com stated just three days later that Vatrano failed to get through the NCAA Clearinghouse, which is a way of verifying the eligibility of a student-athlete by determining that they meet certain requirements in educational performance and background, meaning he would’ve been ineligible to play had he remained at Boston College.

As a result, Vatrano withdrew and joined the Boston Junior Bruins of the Eastern Junior Hockey League. By leaving, Vatrano regained his eligibility and opted to join UMass, according to Tuesday’s reports.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.

You must be logged in to post a comment.