UMass men’s lacrosse’s win streak snapped in battle with No. 18 Towson -

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Closing arguments presented, jury deliberations begin Friday in first of four 2012 gang rape trials -

Friday, March 27, 2015

UMass library opens groundbreaking 3D printing lab -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Defendant in 2012 gang rape case says accuser consented to sex -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

For the love of the craft: UMass Juggling Club -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass lacrosse looks for fourth straight victory versus Towson -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The dark, twisty special on Robert Durst proves that, yet again, humanity’s biggest “Jinx” is hubris -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Law and order, UMass style -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hillel fails to represent all Jewish students -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse aims another perfect conference record against Duquesne -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass heads home to take on Albany -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Coming off weekend victory, UMass softball prepares for series against St. Josephs -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

‘The Last Man on Earth?’ more like, ‘The Worst Show on Earth’ -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A new face for money -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass hopes to carry momentum into weekend series against VCU -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass Theatre Guild to present “Seussical” this weekend -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

UMass eyes the future of its athletics with the hiring of Athletic Director Ryan Bamford -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Derrick Gordon to transfer from UMass in search of more prominent role -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Local author and activist Don Ogden writes to make environmental change -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Chiarelli: Football the center of attention Tuesday at Bamford’s hiring -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Once Upon a Time Recap: The Doctor

This week we got treated to a new character that ventures outside of fairytales and into the literary realm. We also got some Lana Parrilla perfection, as per usual.  It was just a great episode that I wasn’t expecting to love this much! Let’s get into it!

Storybrooke

We start the episode with Regina in therapy as she tries to kick the habit of using magic for everything. Maybe Storybrooke should start a rehab center for that because it seems like a common addiction. Anyway, during her therapy session, Dr. Whale barges in demanding Regina send him back to the fairytale world after learning from David that the whole world was not destroyed. Regina says she can’t do it, something that seems obvious by the fact that she herself is still in Storybrooke.

Regina leaves her therapy session and appears to see Daniel, her departed true love, just chilling in the rain. Obviously startled by this, she runs to her crypt real quick to see if his preserved corpse is where she left it – right next to her magical artifacts and ripped out hearts. Oh, Regina, you’re such a hoarder. He’s gone and we learn Whale brought him back – but he’s a monster (is this starting to sound familiar?).

Undead Daniel ends up at the stables looking for Regina but finds Henry instead – and basically tries to kill him thinking its Cora a.k.a the crazy lady who tore his heart out. Regina and David come just in time to save him and an incredibly emotional Regina refrains from using magic to stop him and tries to talk him down. She does this to no avail though and he attempts to kill her twice before she finally must stop him and say goodbye forever. I cried like a baby, guys.

The Fairytale Land that Was

We see Regina learning magic with Rumple this week as she does her best to resist her dark side. She reveals she really wants to learn magic to bring Daniel back and The Mad Hatter leads her to her best shot at that: Dr. Whale a.k.a his other persona of… DR. FRANKENSTEIN. (Weird coincidence that this episode coincided with “Frankenstorm” right?) He tries to bring Daniel back for her but ends up failing. By the end of the episode a distraught Regina has a new sleek wardrobe and the makings of her evil queen persona.

We also flash to Dr. Frankenstein in his lab bringing someone to life after acquiring a magical heart. This is probably going to be relevant later, huh?

The Fairytale Land of Today

Emma, Snow, Aurora, and Mulan return to their camp to find everyone there killed by Cora – except their new visitor, Captain Hook. After some manipulation and a threat to let the ogres have him, he finally reveals to them his scheme with Cora: to infiltrate their group to help her get to Storybrooke. Hook agrees to help the women, though, and leads them to a magical compass that Cora is seeking. The only problem is that it’s up a giant beanstalk and guarded by a giant. The major strength of this show: making fairytale situations seem plausible and not hokey.

Questions for next week

Anyone else notice The Mad Hatter’s allusions that he just came from Oz? I’d be all to excites for a Wizard of Oz themed episode…

Is Hook really going to help them or this is all still part of Cora’s plan?

Who is Dr. Whale’s brother?

Alexa Hoyle can be reached at ahoyle@student.umass.edu