Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass forward Zach Coleman excels in increased role against Florida State -

Monday, November 24, 2014

SLIDESHOW: Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament -

Monday, November 24, 2014

No. 19 UMass kicks off A-10 Tournament vs Temple

Cade Belisle/Collegian

The 19th-ranked Massachusetts field hockey team will get a little déjà vu when it takes on Temple in the Atlantic 10 semifinals Friday at Garber Field.

The two teams also met in last year’s semifinal in Philadelphia when the third-seeded Owls ended the second-seeded Minutewomen’s season with a 4-0 triumph.

However, UMass (12-8, 6-1 A-10) won the most recent meeting between the two teams on Oct. 26 at Garber Field by a 4-1 final.

The Minutewomen recorded the first goal of the game after senior scoring-leader, midfielder Kim Young, notched a goal after a scoreless half in the 39th minute of play.

Freshman midfielders Courtney Spleen and A-10 Rookie of the Week Noralie Weusthuis were the other Minutewomen to score goals in the win.

While the ultimate goal is to win the entire tournament, which includes Saturday’s championship game at 2 p.m. also at Garber Field, UMass coach Carla Tagliente has her team focused solely on taking care of business against the Owls.

“We’re pretty confident in playing them,” Tagliente said. “We’re taking it a game at a time. I think we’ve proven ourselves, we’re an outstanding team, but we need to focus on Temple first and then we’ll focus on who we play next.”

UMass is currently riding a seven-game winning-streak after a 4-0 win over Lock Haven in the regular season finale on Sunday, something that has Tagliente feeling good about her team’s chances in the tournament.

“I think we’re a very good offensive team,” Tagliente said. “Our goals per game is so much higher than last year and we’ve proven we can score goals, but we’ve just been outstanding on defense as well and kept it clean the past few games. The defense has been outstanding and they really start everything up front, but to be able to score goals and finish our opportunities, that’s something you can’t really quantify.”

The Owls come to Amherst with a win in their pocket, having beaten Saint Joseph’s 4-1 on Sunday. Temple’s attack has been powered by sophomore forward Amber Youtz with 52 points on the year, including 21 goals. Following Youtz is  Nicole Kroener with 25 points, while Lauren Hunt and Katie Briglia have totaled 23 points each.

The Minutewomen’s strongest tools in the match will be Young’s offensive touch, along with the prowess of senior forward Nicole Cordero and senior defender Thando Zono, who have recorded 25 and 18 points, respectively.

Cordero and Zono’s play have earned them a spot in the 2012 Division I Senior Game, held on Nov. 17 at Old Dominion, after being selected to participate by the National Field Hockey Coaches Association.

Following suit is Weusthuis, who posted 14 points this season, including three goals in the span of two games when UMass outscored its opposition 8-1.

Weusthuis, who is the only freshman in the top five in scoring for the Minutewomen, credited the seniors for their leadership and influence on her play along with the success of the team.

“They’re really good leaders on the field and they make the team (unified),” Weusthuis said. “Everyone is included, even the new freshman.”

With emotions and expectations running high before the semifinals, senior defender Elizabeth Karns believes the practice the team has put in all season will pay off in the end.

“We’ve been working in practice on getting in goal scoring positions, getting every ball on cage and feeding balls in so people can have a tip or just get (creative) with the ball,” Karns said. “(Temple is) always a very good team, they play well against us and they always give us a run, so we’re looking at it one game at a time, but we’re definitely ready.”

Peter Cappiello can be reached at pcappiel@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Cappiello.