Hair and make-up essentials for the college girl

kuuipo1207/Flickr

As a senior, I don’t always have that much time to ensure that I will look totally presentable for any given day’s events. When I wake up and get ready in the morning, I need to make sure that my make-up and hair will stay looking somewhat decent for the entire day. Over the past four years, I have tried and experimented with all different types of hair and make-up products to finally come up with my list of top 10 essential things that I use every day to look good on a budget and that will stay intact for the majority of the day.

Garnier Fructis Shampoo and Conditioner

Starting off the list is a product that I have used forever to make sure my naturally frizzy afro stays in check. Personally, I use the “sleek and smooth” type of shampoo and conditioner combination right now, but I like to switch it up depending on the time of year. At a low cost that usually ranges from about $2.99 a bottle up to $5.99 for a larger bottle, Garnier provides an inexpensive but still fabulous shampoo and conditioner.

Garnier Fructis Curl Construct Mousse

As previously mentioned, my hair tends to turn into a frizzy fluffball if I fail to use any type of product in it. On days that I don’t have time to flat-iron my hair or that I just don’t really care, I throw a few squirts of this mousse in my hair for a taming and long-lasting look.

Aussie Hairspray

Stolen right out of my grandmother’s handbook, this generational staple is a must-have for either wearing my hair straight or curly. This super-hold hairspray is sure to keep whatever style you’re going for stay in place for hours on end.

Fekkai Glossing Cream

As much as I love a good bargain, this smoothing cream is a miracle in a bottle and worth the splurge you’ll make to purchase it. This green gel takes the frizz right out of any hair, making it easy to straighten and it also gives the hair some simple waves for those weird hair days. Look for this product at hair stores like Sally’s or also on clearance and mark-down racks at Marshall’s and T.J. Maxx.

Revlon Photo Ready Foundation

This squirt bottle of liquid is sure to turn any face into a picture perfect one. This one ounce container squirts out the right amount of foundation you will need to ensure you don’t use it up too quickly. Providing full face coverage without looking too cakey, this product works really well for all skin types by not clogging pores and therefore not causing any breakouts. For a full coverage look, find this product at local drugstores.

Black Eye Shadow

My default go-to look is the smoky eye. A great look for any occasion, a casual or sexy smoky look is very easy to create. My go-to product to create this look is Wet n Wild Color Icon palette in “Don’t Steal My Thunder,” which comes with a white shadow, a gray shadow and a black shadow. With a little shimmer from each, these three colors go really well together to make your eyes pop. Since black is a color that works with any eye color, it is a safe bet to look good on anyone.

Sephora Black Eyeliner

For a mere $5 for this amazing eyeliner, this glides on your eyes smoothly. Available in all different colors, this generic brand is a must-have for any girl. Black eyeliner is something that completes any look or that can be worn alone when you’re in a rush. This compact product is something I frequently carry around with me to give myself a quick touchup.

Maybelline XXL Pro Volume Mascara

This waterproof mascara is a great match to compliment the smoky look and eyeliner. Though it is waterproof and therefore sometimes a huge pain to get off at the end of a day, it lengthens lashes to a point where it almost looks like they are fake. The dual-sided different kinds of primer and actual mascara help the product to stay on and stick through whatever the day throws at you.

E.L.F. Blush Stick

Traditionally worn as a powder, the blush stick was something I was very weary to try at first. After the first use, though, I fell in love. Easy to apply, just smear it on your face and rub it in to get a rosy glow. At a great price of only $3 at Target, this product is a steal.

Sugar Lip Treatment

This miniature lip balm is a refreshing and hydrating stick that is little enough to tote around and is great as the weather gets drier and colder, making chapped lips a problem for everyone. While this product is a little pricey at stores like Sephora, it is definitely something worth investing in to try out. This product comes in a few different colors that give your lips a nice hint of color while moisturizing them as well.

Ashley Berger can be reached at [email protected].