UMass Dining app wins prestigious award -

Notebook: UMass men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg ready to move on from Fordham loss, impressed with Rashaan Holloway’s improvement -

Creating realistic resolutions -

I love football, but injuries mar the game -

State funding restored for Amherst homeless shelter -

UMass swimming and diving pushing theme of intensity as regular season draws to a close -

UMass club hockey falls to NYU 3-2 in first game back from vacation -

The beauty of Birthright -

UMass women’s track and field victorious, men fifth at Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Seven fashion in film moments -

UMass professor wins big on ‘Jeopardy!’ -

SGA president selects new vice president -

UMass women’s basketball blows 15 point fourth quarter lead, loses in double overtime to George Washington -

Cyr: Expectations for UMass men’s basketball remain consistent throughout 2016-17 season -

The death penalty is not the answer -

Donald Trump is gutting journalism with his Twitter -

Winter break’s most overlooked releases -

Hardly anything in ‘Rogue One’ scores a direct hit -

Nineteen turnovers sink UMass men’s basketball in loss to Fordham Saturday -

Buffalo crawls past Miami (Ohio), Ohio dominates

MCT

The Buffalo football team defeated Mid-American Conference opponent Miami (Ohio) 27-24 on Saturday in the final seconds in what became an exciting matchup.

On their final drive, the Bulls (2-7, 1-4 MAC) went 52 yards down the field following a 47-yard kickoff return from Devin Campbell to open the drive, putting kicker Patrick Clarke in position for the game-winning, 47-yard field goal as time expired. The score came after the RedHawks (4-5, 3-2 MAC) tied the game on a 5-yard touchdown pass from Zac Dysert with just 23 seconds remaining in the game.

Defense dominated the game throughout the first half, as neither team scored in the first quarter. With 6 minutes, 43 seconds left in the half, Miami found its way onto the scoreboard on a 29-yard field goal from kicker Kaleb Patterson. Two minutes later, Clarke split the uprights with a 49-yard field goal of his own, tying the game at three going into the second half.

Despite the strong defense in the first half, both teams struggled to keep the other from scoring in the second half. Buffalo was first to strike,, as they scored on a 5-yard run from Branden Oliver.

Miami responded quickly as Dysert connected with Nick Harwell on a 10-yard touchdown pass. From there, the game went back-and-forth as each team kept responding with scores until time expired, but the Bulls got the last laugh.

The Bulls look to keep on winning Saturday as they face off against Western Michigan. Miami will attempt to get back on track next Saturday in a matchup against Kent State.

Bobcat beatdown

Coming off of its first loss of the season, Ohio came back Saturday and established its dominance with a 45-14 win over a struggling Eastern Michigan team.

The Bobcats (8-1, 4-1 MAC) took over the lead early, as Beau Blankenship fou

nd the end zone on a two-yard run, with nine minutes, 30 seconds left in the first quarter.

The Eagles (1-8, 0-5 MAC) didn’t go quietly, however, as they responded with a Tyler Benz 17-yard touchdown pass to Ryan Brumfield, to tie the game going into the second quarter.

Brumfield brought the Eagles back into the game again on a three-yard touchdown run after Ohio scored on a Matt Weller 25-yard field goal and a Tyler Tettleton 7-yard passing touchdown.

Despite Brumfield’s two first half scores, the Bobcats’ offense responded with four consecutive touchdowns. Ohio dominated in every aspect of the game, as Tettleton finished the game 19-of-27, with 255 yards and three scores. Seven of the completions belonged to receiver Donte Foster, who he collected 164 receiving yards, and touchdowns. Ryan Boykin also contributed in a large way, rushing for 128 yards and a touchdown.

Shootout at Kent State

Kent State and Akron combined to score eight touchdowns and accumulate 805 yards, but the Golden Flashes outlasted the Zips, 35-24.

Akron (1-9, 0-6 MAC) entered the game as underdogs, but they tallied first with a 13-yard touchdown connection to Jerrod Dillard, from quarterback Dalton Williams midway through the first quarter. After forcing a Golden Flashes (8-1, 5-0 MAC) missed field goal, Williams capped off a 70-yard drive with another touchdown completion to Dillard, this time for 21 yards, giving the Zips a 14-0 lead.

Kent State’s run game took over at the end of the first quarter, as it cut the Akron lead in half on a one-yard rushing touchdown from Trayion Durham.

In the Zips’ next possession, Jawon Chisholm ran over the Flashes’ defense with a 50-yard touchdown, and gave Akron another 14-point lead.

The Golden Flashes out-ran the Zips from there, however, as Durham rushed for two more touchdowns from six and 15 yards out. Spencer Keith (four yards) and Dri Archer (30 yards) also added rushing touchdowns.

Kent State ended with five rushing touchdowns.

Akron looks to end its struggles next Saturday against the Massachusetts.

Tom Mulherin can be reached at tmulheri@student.umass.edu