Pittsfield man accused of rape has bail lowered

Bail was lowered yesterday for one of the four Pittsfield men accused of raping a University of Massachusetts student, according to a press release from the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office.

Adam Liccardi, 18, won an appeal to have his bail lowered from the $10,000 set by Eastern Hampshire District Court Judge Mary Hurley to $2,500 by Hampshire Superior Court Judge Mary-Lou Rup.

The $2,500 is the amount that Northwestern Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Suhl and three of the four defense attorneys advocated for at an Oct. 22 arraignment. Hurley quickly dismissed the number then, stating that “there is no way I will be part of an agreement of this sort. It’s just not going to happen.”

Liccardi has been charged with four counts of rape, after allegedly raping an 18-year-old UMass student repeatedly during the early morning hours of Oct. 13 in Pierpont Hall. Emmanuel Bile, 18, Justin King, 18, and Caleb Womack, 17, face three counts of rape related to the alleged sexual assault.

All have pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Both Bile – who had his bail reduced – and King have posted bail, according to published reports. A bail reduction request by an attorney representing Womack was denied on Oct. 26.

If Liccardi posts bail, he will have to wear a GPS monitor, observe an 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. curfew and meet twice a week with a probation officer, among other conditions, according to the release.

All four men are due back at court for a pre-trial hearing on Dec. 10.

Katie Landeck can be reached at [email protected].