Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Minutewomen excel despite injuries, Minutemen gain experience -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

SGA election reforms address some, but not all concerns -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Emily O’Neil hopes to increase diversity and improve Title IX training as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The next journalist under fire -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Letter: A call for action and cooperation -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Student trustee candidate Kabir Thatte looks to create his own path as a UMass legacy student within SGA -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Police Log: Friday, Feb. 27 to Sunday, March 1, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kelly, Gay to focus on transparency, accessibility and sexual assault training -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Easy breathing tricks to de-stress during midterms -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Lack of transparency from Elections Commission endangers spring ballot -

Monday, March 2, 2015

“Seven Psychopaths” more disorienting than psychotic

With a moniker like “Seven Psychopaths” dripping with demented possibilities, it seems impossible to go wrong. But sadly, Martin McDonagh’s latest flick evokes more head-scratching bemusement than anything else.

Facebook

Struggling screenwriter Marty (Colin Farrell) is stumped on his latest project, an opus he calls “Seven Psychopaths” for which he only has a title and a few distinct characters, including a dynamite-toting Buddhist and an Amish throat-slasher. Beyond that, Marty is stumped and his screwball best friend, Billy (Sam Rockwell), is desperate to help him by any means necessary. Billy and his partner in crime, Hans (Christopher Walken), unintentionally get themselves and Marty wrapped up in the seedy underbelly of the L.A. crime circuit when they abduct an innocent ShihTzu belonging to unstable Hollywood gangster Charlie (Woody Harrelson).

When Charlie and his goons come looking for blood is when the zany hijinks ensue and the trio of Marty, Billy and Hans go to extreme lengths to dodge the mobsters and give Marty the inspiration he needs to finish his screenplay. That is, if any of them make it out alive.

What starts out as a promising take on Hollywood noir somehow mutates into a schizophrenic romp through a bevy of different storylines, each more erratic than the last. Director McDonagh seemed to have some lofty ambitions for this film as a meditation on philosophical comedy, but sadly “Seven Psychopaths” fails to impress as much as his 2008 tour de force “In Bruges.”

While the fragmented narrative formula has been successfully executed in a few films over the years (Tarantino’s “Pulp Fiction,” for instance) the haphazard wandering of “Seven Psychopaths” goes beyond artistic into the esoteric. The manic jumble of interconnected storylines is difficult to follow at its best and arbitrarily complex at its worst. Though each of the minor plot lines are amusing in their own right, it is hard to fully appreciate them when they are laid out in such a confusing context.

The humor of this movie lies primarily in the dialogue as the characters swap sharp wisecracks with the frenzy of deranged hummingbirds, the most laughable quips coming frequently from Walken as quirky Hans. Preening in a caricature of dementia, Walken’s performance is so hilariously deadpan that he frankly steals the show from the likes of Farrell and Harrelson, who themselves give admirable (but by no means great) performances. Farrell, who has so often played the suave pretty boy in his career, is in an entirely new role as a disheveled writer struggling with an alcohol problem that he refuses to accept no matter how much the other characters snidely comment on it. The most commonly used gags in the movie are jabs at Farrell for being both Irish and a writer, and therefore inevitably a drunk, but the charm gets old quickly despite the hilarity of Farrell’s staunch denial.

With numerous cameos from the dregs of Hollywood including Michael Pitt, Gabourey Sidibe and Abbie Cornish, this movie is certainly at no shortage for star power. The most notable guest appearance comes from the indelible Tom Waits who is delightfully unsettling as a serial killer very attached to his pet rabbit. However, the humorous advantages these bit roles provide sadly do very little to save the movie from the realm of forgettable comedies.

Though there are some genuine belly laughs in this movie, “Seven Psychopaths” is ultimately overwhelmed by its own craziness. Special effects aficionados will appreciate the more gratuitous scenes of violence, including graphic recreation of an exploding head and numerous gunshot wounds, but otherwise there is nothing particularly special about this flick. The intricate spiderweb of storylines overpowers the movie’s intent and sadly proves to be misleading in terms of the provocative title. Playing out like a nightmarish fever dream of deranged attempts at ingenuity, “Seven Psychopaths” is good for a few hearty laughs but is otherwise too bewildering to be taken seriously.

Emily A. Brightman can be reached at ebrightman@student.umass.edu.