Report: UMass men’s basketball set to hire Matt McCall as next head coach -

Community talks education, immigrants’ rights, climate change with state senators -

Q&A: Khalif Nunnally-Rivera, an advocate for access and affordability for underrepresented students -

Plant-Based Nutrition club promotes healthier, sustainable diets on campus -

Rolling tobacco and high profits for iRollie -

UMass softball to kickoff conference schedule on Thursday at Boston University -

UMass baseball coach Mike Stone trying not to dwell on 2017 being his final season -

Fresh off NCAA Championship appearance, UMass diver Emma Roush looks ahead -

Notebook: UMass men’s soccer adds junior college transfer to roster for next season -

Newly appointed UMass defensive line coach Dave Wissman has taken interesting road to Amherst -

Student Union Craft Center serves as an open space of expression for students -

An ode to Amherst’s American Legion -

Letter: The Graduate Employee Organization wants to empower those who are marginalized -

To counter and balance: A place for conversation in the opinion pages -

Activism can change the world -

Active Minds strives to start conversation about mental health, end stigma -

Native American Student Association plans for powwow after travelling to Native Nations Rise March in Washington D.C. -

Black Student Union aims to be a strong voice for the African-American community on UMass’ campus -

UMass Students for Reproductive Justice continue fighting for student rights -

UMass notebook: Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry reportedly interviewed for a second time Monday for men’s basketball head coaching vacancy -

A-10 men’s soccer notebook: Charlotte clinches top seed

The Charlotte men’s soccer team defeated George Washington, 2-1, on Saturday en route to winning its second Atlantic 10 regular season title in three years.

Wikimedia Commons

Charlotte struck first, scoring in the fifth minute of play when Thomas Allen chipped in a rebound on a 25 yard free kick from Tyler Gibson.

However, the lead was short-lived, as Colonials forward Seth Rudolph scored on a penalty kick at the 18:23 mark to even things up at one apiece.

The 49ers went ahead for good in the 85th minute of play when forward Giuseppe Gentile scored his eighth goal of the season on a goal set up by Aidan Kirkbride and Isaac Caughran.

The 49ers seem to be heating up at the perfect moment, having won six consecutive contests. They have done so in what can only be described as dominant fashion, outscoring their opponents by a 17-2 margin.   Charlotte will now look forward to the A-10 tournament, which will be held in Charlotte at Transamerica Field. The 49ers will take on Duquesne on Thursday 8 p.m.

SLU trounces Butler, claims second spot

After a convincing victory over Butler, Saint Louis will head into this weekend’s conference tournament as the second seed.

The first part of the first half was very competitive, with neither team conceding much, but the Billikens would eventually gain the upper hand, exploding for two goals in the span of a mere 44 seconds just before the conclusion of the half.      The game’s first goal came in the 42nd minute when Kingsley Bryce deflected a David Graydon corner kick into the back of the goal, marking the fourth time he has scored this season.

Shortly thereafter, Billikens forward Robbie Kristo put SLU ahead, 2-0, scoring on a goal assisted by Bryce and Michael Robson.

The second half was more of the same as the Billikens doubled their lead thanks to goals scored by Alex Sweetin and Adnan Gabelgic.

With the win, SLU locked up the second seed in the A-10 tournament and have earned themselves a date against seventh-seeded La Salle in the quarterfinals.

Michael Downs can be reached at mdowns@student.umass.edu.