Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

A-10 men’s soccer notebook: Charlotte clinches top seed

The Charlotte men’s soccer team defeated George Washington, 2-1, on Saturday en route to winning its second Atlantic 10 regular season title in three years.

Wikimedia Commons

Charlotte struck first, scoring in the fifth minute of play when Thomas Allen chipped in a rebound on a 25 yard free kick from Tyler Gibson.

However, the lead was short-lived, as Colonials forward Seth Rudolph scored on a penalty kick at the 18:23 mark to even things up at one apiece.

The 49ers went ahead for good in the 85th minute of play when forward Giuseppe Gentile scored his eighth goal of the season on a goal set up by Aidan Kirkbride and Isaac Caughran.

The 49ers seem to be heating up at the perfect moment, having won six consecutive contests. They have done so in what can only be described as dominant fashion, outscoring their opponents by a 17-2 margin.   Charlotte will now look forward to the A-10 tournament, which will be held in Charlotte at Transamerica Field. The 49ers will take on Duquesne on Thursday 8 p.m.

SLU trounces Butler, claims second spot

After a convincing victory over Butler, Saint Louis will head into this weekend’s conference tournament as the second seed.

The first part of the first half was very competitive, with neither team conceding much, but the Billikens would eventually gain the upper hand, exploding for two goals in the span of a mere 44 seconds just before the conclusion of the half.      The game’s first goal came in the 42nd minute when Kingsley Bryce deflected a David Graydon corner kick into the back of the goal, marking the fourth time he has scored this season.

Shortly thereafter, Billikens forward Robbie Kristo put SLU ahead, 2-0, scoring on a goal assisted by Bryce and Michael Robson.

The second half was more of the same as the Billikens doubled their lead thanks to goals scored by Alex Sweetin and Adnan Gabelgic.

With the win, SLU locked up the second seed in the A-10 tournament and have earned themselves a date against seventh-seeded La Salle in the quarterfinals.

Michael Downs can be reached at mdowns@student.umass.edu.