UMass Board of Trustees votes 11-2 to raise tuition and fees an average of 5.8 percent -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season -

‘Warcraft’ delivers a likeable mess -

Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

UMass baseball falls in first-ever Division I matchup with UMass Lowell 7-3 -

A-10 men’s soccer notebook: Charlotte clinches top seed

The Charlotte men’s soccer team defeated George Washington, 2-1, on Saturday en route to winning its second Atlantic 10 regular season title in three years.

Wikimedia Commons

Charlotte struck first, scoring in the fifth minute of play when Thomas Allen chipped in a rebound on a 25 yard free kick from Tyler Gibson.

However, the lead was short-lived, as Colonials forward Seth Rudolph scored on a penalty kick at the 18:23 mark to even things up at one apiece.

The 49ers went ahead for good in the 85th minute of play when forward Giuseppe Gentile scored his eighth goal of the season on a goal set up by Aidan Kirkbride and Isaac Caughran.

The 49ers seem to be heating up at the perfect moment, having won six consecutive contests. They have done so in what can only be described as dominant fashion, outscoring their opponents by a 17-2 margin.   Charlotte will now look forward to the A-10 tournament, which will be held in Charlotte at Transamerica Field. The 49ers will take on Duquesne on Thursday 8 p.m.

SLU trounces Butler, claims second spot

After a convincing victory over Butler, Saint Louis will head into this weekend’s conference tournament as the second seed.

The first part of the first half was very competitive, with neither team conceding much, but the Billikens would eventually gain the upper hand, exploding for two goals in the span of a mere 44 seconds just before the conclusion of the half.      The game’s first goal came in the 42nd minute when Kingsley Bryce deflected a David Graydon corner kick into the back of the goal, marking the fourth time he has scored this season.

Shortly thereafter, Billikens forward Robbie Kristo put SLU ahead, 2-0, scoring on a goal assisted by Bryce and Michael Robson.

The second half was more of the same as the Billikens doubled their lead thanks to goals scored by Alex Sweetin and Adnan Gabelgic.

With the win, SLU locked up the second seed in the A-10 tournament and have earned themselves a date against seventh-seeded La Salle in the quarterfinals.

Michael Downs can be reached at mdowns@student.umass.edu.