Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Political Science department hosts an election results viewing party

Courtesy of suttonhoo.blogspot.com.

On Tuesday night, the Political Science department sponsored an Election Results Viewing Party in the Cape Cod lounge. While students and professors waited for the results to come in from the polls (some waiting more anxiously than others!) the Political Science department, and Google, sponsored a number of free raffles for attendees. Some of the prizes included Political Science coffee mugs, UMass polling t-shirts, a gift certificate to Amherst Books, and even a few highly coveted UMass sweatshirts. While I wasn’t one of the lucky winners, the results party was a great time. There were many food and drink options, and tables were set up around the room to encourage people to chat. Professors were mingling and talking to people about different issues and Mission Improvable performed early in the night, entertaining the crowd with a great improv show.

Once the polls closed and predictions started to trickle in, things began to heat up. There were two television screens and one big screen showing the different results. As Mitt Romney’s electoral vote count increased and Barack Obama’s remained low, I think it would be fair to say that a number of people in the room were nervous. However, the night was still young and there were lots of votes to be counted. When it was announced that Elizabeth Warren had been elected to represent Massachusetts in the Senate (making her the state’s first female senator!), the room erupted into cheers. People seemed to be far less anxious at that point, and even seemed to be jubilant.  As a Political Science major, it was great to be around people who cared as much as I did about this election.

As results continued to come in and CNN began to make predictions of which state would go which way, the number of people in attendance shrunk, but with raffles continuing, spirits remained high. None of the states that CNN was giving to either candidate were much of a surprise. People continued to talk and many people were live-tweeting the results. It’s amazing to think about how different this election was from the one in 2008, largely in part because of the rise of social media. From being able to find out election results and historical election facts on Facebook, to seeing pictures of Florida polling lines at 11 pm on Twitter, technology had an enormous influence this election. This was a good thing because it meant people were more informed, but I think it was also negative in that people could post something so quickly that they wouldn’t even think about. I saw so many negative posts about both parties on Twitter that it disgusted me. Even after the winner of a specific contest was clear, people online continued to badmouth the other candidate. People supporting both parties were guilty of this. It’s an inevitable result of social media, but I still found it frustrating, and from talking to people at the event, they did too.

Around 11:30, when CNN announced their prediction that Barack Obama had been elected for a second term, the energy in the room was palpable. People were screaming, jumping up and down, and hugging people they didn’t even know. It was probably one of the most electric things I have ever experienced. To be in a room with people who felt so passionately about his reelection, and were so happy to see that happen was amazing. It was definitely a moment that made me so proud to have voted for the first time and to play a role in making that happen. Thanks to the Political Science department for putting on this awesome event – it was so much fun!

Eleanor Harte can be reached for comment at eharte@student.umass.edu.