UMass men’s lacrosse’s win streak snapped in battle with No. 18 Towson -

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Closing arguments presented, jury deliberations begin Friday in first of four 2012 gang rape trials -

Friday, March 27, 2015

UMass library opens groundbreaking 3D printing lab -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Defendant in 2012 gang rape case says accuser consented to sex -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

For the love of the craft: UMass Juggling Club -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass lacrosse looks for fourth straight victory versus Towson -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The dark, twisty special on Robert Durst proves that, yet again, humanity’s biggest “Jinx” is hubris -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Law and order, UMass style -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hillel fails to represent all Jewish students -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse aims another perfect conference record against Duquesne -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass heads home to take on Albany -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Coming off weekend victory, UMass softball prepares for series against St. Josephs -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

‘The Last Man on Earth?’ more like, ‘The Worst Show on Earth’ -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A new face for money -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass hopes to carry momentum into weekend series against VCU -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass Theatre Guild to present “Seussical” this weekend -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

UMass eyes the future of its athletics with the hiring of Athletic Director Ryan Bamford -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Derrick Gordon to transfer from UMass in search of more prominent role -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Local author and activist Don Ogden writes to make environmental change -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Chiarelli: Football the center of attention Tuesday at Bamford’s hiring -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Political Science department hosts an election results viewing party

Courtesy of suttonhoo.blogspot.com.

On Tuesday night, the Political Science department sponsored an Election Results Viewing Party in the Cape Cod lounge. While students and professors waited for the results to come in from the polls (some waiting more anxiously than others!) the Political Science department, and Google, sponsored a number of free raffles for attendees. Some of the prizes included Political Science coffee mugs, UMass polling t-shirts, a gift certificate to Amherst Books, and even a few highly coveted UMass sweatshirts. While I wasn’t one of the lucky winners, the results party was a great time. There were many food and drink options, and tables were set up around the room to encourage people to chat. Professors were mingling and talking to people about different issues and Mission Improvable performed early in the night, entertaining the crowd with a great improv show.

Once the polls closed and predictions started to trickle in, things began to heat up. There were two television screens and one big screen showing the different results. As Mitt Romney’s electoral vote count increased and Barack Obama’s remained low, I think it would be fair to say that a number of people in the room were nervous. However, the night was still young and there were lots of votes to be counted. When it was announced that Elizabeth Warren had been elected to represent Massachusetts in the Senate (making her the state’s first female senator!), the room erupted into cheers. People seemed to be far less anxious at that point, and even seemed to be jubilant.  As a Political Science major, it was great to be around people who cared as much as I did about this election.

As results continued to come in and CNN began to make predictions of which state would go which way, the number of people in attendance shrunk, but with raffles continuing, spirits remained high. None of the states that CNN was giving to either candidate were much of a surprise. People continued to talk and many people were live-tweeting the results. It’s amazing to think about how different this election was from the one in 2008, largely in part because of the rise of social media. From being able to find out election results and historical election facts on Facebook, to seeing pictures of Florida polling lines at 11 pm on Twitter, technology had an enormous influence this election. This was a good thing because it meant people were more informed, but I think it was also negative in that people could post something so quickly that they wouldn’t even think about. I saw so many negative posts about both parties on Twitter that it disgusted me. Even after the winner of a specific contest was clear, people online continued to badmouth the other candidate. People supporting both parties were guilty of this. It’s an inevitable result of social media, but I still found it frustrating, and from talking to people at the event, they did too.

Around 11:30, when CNN announced their prediction that Barack Obama had been elected for a second term, the energy in the room was palpable. People were screaming, jumping up and down, and hugging people they didn’t even know. It was probably one of the most electric things I have ever experienced. To be in a room with people who felt so passionately about his reelection, and were so happy to see that happen was amazing. It was definitely a moment that made me so proud to have voted for the first time and to play a role in making that happen. Thanks to the Political Science department for putting on this awesome event – it was so much fun!

Eleanor Harte can be reached for comment at eharte@student.umass.edu.