Ray Pigozzi shines in first game back for the UMass hockey team since November 4 -

UMass starts hot, finishes strong in upset win over No. 12 Notre Dame -

SGA vice president will resign at the end of the semester -

Raise the Flag protestors praise -

Dining and Housekeeping employees at Smith College seek new contract -

In response to election, immigration lawyer briefs students on potential changes -

Avinoam Patt discusses the role of displaced Jews in the creation of Israel -

UMass women’s basketball falls to Hartford, snaps three-game winning streak -

Brison Gresham makes long awaited debut for UMass men’s basketball -

UMass hockey hosts No. 12 Notre Dame in Hockey East doubleheader -

UMass men’s basketball picks up fourth straight win as it tops Wagner Wednesday night at Mullins Center -

UMass hockey gets chance to bond during trip to Belfast -

The true backbone of America -

Letter: Craig’s Place to fight against fatal budget cuts -

Enduring the 2016 Tower Run at Du Bois Library -

C.J. Anderson, Malik Hines each have career nights in UMass men’s basketball’s win over Wagner -

Panelists talk about their experiences with incarceration in the Feinberg Lecture Series -

Suzanne Fenton discusses the effects of early life chemical exposure -

Christmas tree farmers discuss effects of New England drought on their harvest -

UMass men’s basketball’s frontcourt looks to build on solid start to season -

UMass gets first look at rookie phenom Jankowski

Em Bhoo/Collegian

This weekend presents another tough test for the Massachusetts hockey team when it welcomes Providence to the Mullins Center.

Although the Friars lack the notoriety of the previous Minutemen (2-4-0, 1-4-0 HEA) opponents in New Hampshire, Boston University and Boston College, PC does have a secret weapon at its disposal: freshman center Mark Jankowski.

Jankowski was selected 21st overall by the Calgary Flames in the NHL draft this June. And so far, he’s lived up to the hype, putting together an impressive freshman campaign so far for the Friars (4-3-1, 3-2-0 Hockey East Association) with his three goals and four points.

Two of Jankowski’s goals came in his first ever collegiate game on Oct. 12 when the PC defeated Sacred Heart 8-2. On Nov. 2, he scored the game-winning goal at the 4:19 mark in the third period against Vermont, which helped propel his team to a 3-2 victory.

UMass coach John Micheletto has his hands full preparing for Jankowski, who Micheletto is impressed with as a player.

“He’s obviously a gifted playmaker,” he said. “He’s got a good feel for the game. He knows when he’s accepting pressure and he finds guys away and when he’s under pressure and when he doesn’t, he slows it down and is effective in the one-man game as well. So he’s a good player and we have to make sure that we are on honoring him.”

Despite Jankowski’s abilities, Micheletto also stressed the importance of not focusing on one player.

“We can’t just put all of our focus onto him,” Micheletto said. “He’s certainly a good prospect for them and has proven to be a good college player at this point, but we won’t specifically game plan anything against him.”

Not only is Jankowski a good prospect for the Friars, he may be one of their most highly regarded of all time. He’s the third PC player to be drafted in the first round since 1992.

Prior to being selected in the first round of the draft this June, Jankowski played prep hockey in Quebec for two years for Stanstead College Prep. When he was drafted, he became the highest player to be drafted out of a Canadian Prep School.

In his senior season with Stanstead, he scored 53 goals, 40 assists and 93 total points. As a junior, he scored 31 goals, 42 assists and 73 points. He was named Rookie of the Year as a junior, and team MVP during his senior season. Jankowski even had nine points in a game once for Stanstead, six of which came from goals.

It’s safe to say that playing hockey is in Jankowski’s blood. His father Len Jankowski played college hockey at Cornell from 1979 to 1982 and his great uncle Leonard Kelly played for the NHL’s Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs.

Jankowski comes to the Mullins Center Friday night with quite the pedigree, and UMass  junior defenseman Joel Hanley is happy to welcome him and the challenge he presents.

“I heard he’s a really good player,” he said. “We’re really excited to have him come in and help us move forward as a team.”

As for how Hanley intends to prepare for Jankowski and the Friar’s offense, he said it’s just like any other game.

“If they have a good offense we have to be prepared to be good defensively,” Hanley said. “We have to stick to our game plan, which is getting pucks deep and just playing fast. So no matter what they bring our way we are going to be prepared.”

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_McDonough.