UMass student charged in connection with alleged involvement in racist vandalisms -

Monday, October 20, 2014

BREAKING: Police investigating death of 21-year-old female in McNamara Hall -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Protect Our Breasts runs Breast Cancer Awareness campaign -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Underclassmen lead UMass hockey to first victory of the season -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS: A classic revitalized -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Improve the FAC -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students at UMass rally to show support for Hong Kong -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Duolingo makes learning a language easier -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s swimming and diving falls to Army; women’s team gets revenge -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass field hockey gets back to .500 with win over BU Sunday -

Monday, October 20, 2014

‘Columbus Day’ demonstrates ignorant view of the past -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students for Justice in Palestine aims to spread awareness, not argue -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Mending fences: SGA and Amherst officials work together to improve town/gown relations -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer drops 5-0 decision to Saint Louis -

Monday, October 20, 2014

The Phablet continues to grow and maintain popularity -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dayton Flyers soar at Rudd Field, 4-1 over the Minutemen -

Sunday, October 19, 2014

UMass football’s Sharpe continues his banner season in 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Shadrach Abrokwah has career day in UMass football’s 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan. -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

UMass tops Eastern Michigan 36-14, puts together first FBS winning streak -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

UMass gets first look at rookie phenom Jankowski

Em Bhoo/Collegian

This weekend presents another tough test for the Massachusetts hockey team when it welcomes Providence to the Mullins Center.

Although the Friars lack the notoriety of the previous Minutemen (2-4-0, 1-4-0 HEA) opponents in New Hampshire, Boston University and Boston College, PC does have a secret weapon at its disposal: freshman center Mark Jankowski.

Jankowski was selected 21st overall by the Calgary Flames in the NHL draft this June. And so far, he’s lived up to the hype, putting together an impressive freshman campaign so far for the Friars (4-3-1, 3-2-0 Hockey East Association) with his three goals and four points.

Two of Jankowski’s goals came in his first ever collegiate game on Oct. 12 when the PC defeated Sacred Heart 8-2. On Nov. 2, he scored the game-winning goal at the 4:19 mark in the third period against Vermont, which helped propel his team to a 3-2 victory.

UMass coach John Micheletto has his hands full preparing for Jankowski, who Micheletto is impressed with as a player.

“He’s obviously a gifted playmaker,” he said. “He’s got a good feel for the game. He knows when he’s accepting pressure and he finds guys away and when he’s under pressure and when he doesn’t, he slows it down and is effective in the one-man game as well. So he’s a good player and we have to make sure that we are on honoring him.”

Despite Jankowski’s abilities, Micheletto also stressed the importance of not focusing on one player.

“We can’t just put all of our focus onto him,” Micheletto said. “He’s certainly a good prospect for them and has proven to be a good college player at this point, but we won’t specifically game plan anything against him.”

Not only is Jankowski a good prospect for the Friars, he may be one of their most highly regarded of all time. He’s the third PC player to be drafted in the first round since 1992.

Prior to being selected in the first round of the draft this June, Jankowski played prep hockey in Quebec for two years for Stanstead College Prep. When he was drafted, he became the highest player to be drafted out of a Canadian Prep School.

In his senior season with Stanstead, he scored 53 goals, 40 assists and 93 total points. As a junior, he scored 31 goals, 42 assists and 73 points. He was named Rookie of the Year as a junior, and team MVP during his senior season. Jankowski even had nine points in a game once for Stanstead, six of which came from goals.

It’s safe to say that playing hockey is in Jankowski’s blood. His father Len Jankowski played college hockey at Cornell from 1979 to 1982 and his great uncle Leonard Kelly played for the NHL’s Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs.

Jankowski comes to the Mullins Center Friday night with quite the pedigree, and UMass  junior defenseman Joel Hanley is happy to welcome him and the challenge he presents.

“I heard he’s a really good player,” he said. “We’re really excited to have him come in and help us move forward as a team.”

As for how Hanley intends to prepare for Jankowski and the Friar’s offense, he said it’s just like any other game.

“If they have a good offense we have to be prepared to be good defensively,” Hanley said. “We have to stick to our game plan, which is getting pucks deep and just playing fast. So no matter what they bring our way we are going to be prepared.”

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_McDonough.