Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

Quiet beauty roars in ‘Lion’ -

‘Hidden Figures’ is warm and brilliantly inspirational -

Five achievable pre-apocalyptic activities

MCT

The end to end all the predictions of the end of the world is coming, and soon. Dec. 21 is supposed to be the actual end of the world, or so the Mayan calendar claims. This is only in a few weeks, so forget about your assignments, forget about classes and just do everything you’ve always dreamed of. But in case the world doesn’t end, don’t actually stop studying. Here’s a few things you can do that won’t be as dramatic as the end of the world as we know it.

Sky watch

It may be starting to get chilly, but if you have the chance, bundle up a little and sky watch. Sky watching is the epitome of relaxation and it seems that these days being relaxed is a rare occurrence. Have a super lazy day or finish doing everything that needs to be done so you can take the time to lay down and look up for a little while. Those fluffy cumulous clouds lolling across the sky are just asking to be creatures of your imaginations. Let the minutes slowly roll past, because before you know it, the world will be ending, and you’ll be wishing you had at least one more day to appreciate your precious minutes.

Watch an entire series

You haven’t really lived unless you’ve watched a whole series of a show. How else will you join conversation about pop culture? You won’t, that’s how. You’ll start to avoid conversations about TV, because you’ll be too embarrassed to show how unknowledgeable you really are. Don’t let this happen as Dec. 21 creeps closer. If you think that you’ll be taking time away from actual socializing while you’re watching “Gossip Girl” or “Breaking Bad,” be assured that you are not. With all the brand new topics that have opened up when you’ve finished your series of choice, you can talk until the Earth turns inside out.

Early morning gym class

It might (will) be cold, but there is nothing better than being up and about before most of the campus. The Recreation Center has group fitness classes early in the morning. I’m not saying you should do it every day, but the days are running short and in these last few weeks you can wake up once and go to a cardio kickboxing or yoga class. Exercise is a great way to wake up and invigorate the rest of your day. You’ll feel refreshed and also have bragging rights for being awake while everyone else was being lazy and sleeping. If going to the gym isn’t your thing, just wake up and walk around outside in the crisp air.

Go phoneless

Cell phones have become a staple accessory in our daily lives, but honestly they’re not a necessity. There is far too much dependence on this piece of technology that many times detracts from real-time interactions. I’m not going to list pros and cons here, because most everyone is aware where this reliance is heading. Before the world comes to its crashing end, take a day to unplug. You might find you feel disconnected, weird and maybe even a little scared: This is normal. It should also be liberating and empowering. You just navigated a whole day like someone would have almost a decade ago, and boy did it feel great!

Go hiking

Amherst is in an incredibly scenic area, and going out for a walk or a hike on a beautiful day is an opportunity that you shouldn’t miss out on before your untimely demises. There are walking and biking trails in Amherst, such as the Robert Frost Trail, Norwottock Rail Trail, or some of the literary trails, which are geared toward local culture seekers. There are mountains close by that you can go hiking on, and they have great views. Take a little picnic with your friends and watch the landscape around you and be in awe of this great big world we live in –  until Dec. 21, that is.

Araz Havan can be reached at ahavan@student.umass.edu.