UMass lacrosse proves triumphant in return to Garber Field -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse improves playoff chances with victory over Drexel -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

UMass notebook: Kitching shines, West Springfield’s Dan Jonah catches touchdown -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

A.J. Doyle looks forward to contributing in a tight end role -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Three up three down: Quarterback, defensive line play in focus for UMass -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Mark Whipple: UMass football’s spring game a successful night -

Friday, April 17, 2015

A fan’s guide to the UMass football spring game -

Friday, April 17, 2015

UMass softball splits doubleheader against Marist in walk-off win -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: April 16, 2015 -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse returns to Garber Field for crucial matchup with Drexel -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

New partnership to unite university students and town of Amherst -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass baseball wins fifth straight -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Why “Last Week Tonight” is the new champion of sanity in fake news -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Letter: Appalled at local police’s poor training on domestic violence -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Knitting, Crocheting and Needlework Club sparks motivation for crafty students -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Divest UMass makes strides at Board of Trustees meeting -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Do we need the Apple Watch? -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Jules Crittenden speaks on war correspondence to ROTC cadets -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass pitching staff lifts team -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass tennis begins its bid for the Atlantic 10 title -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Five achievable pre-apocalyptic activities

MCT

The end to end all the predictions of the end of the world is coming, and soon. Dec. 21 is supposed to be the actual end of the world, or so the Mayan calendar claims. This is only in a few weeks, so forget about your assignments, forget about classes and just do everything you’ve always dreamed of. But in case the world doesn’t end, don’t actually stop studying. Here’s a few things you can do that won’t be as dramatic as the end of the world as we know it.

Sky watch

It may be starting to get chilly, but if you have the chance, bundle up a little and sky watch. Sky watching is the epitome of relaxation and it seems that these days being relaxed is a rare occurrence. Have a super lazy day or finish doing everything that needs to be done so you can take the time to lay down and look up for a little while. Those fluffy cumulous clouds lolling across the sky are just asking to be creatures of your imaginations. Let the minutes slowly roll past, because before you know it, the world will be ending, and you’ll be wishing you had at least one more day to appreciate your precious minutes.

Watch an entire series

You haven’t really lived unless you’ve watched a whole series of a show. How else will you join conversation about pop culture? You won’t, that’s how. You’ll start to avoid conversations about TV, because you’ll be too embarrassed to show how unknowledgeable you really are. Don’t let this happen as Dec. 21 creeps closer. If you think that you’ll be taking time away from actual socializing while you’re watching “Gossip Girl” or “Breaking Bad,” be assured that you are not. With all the brand new topics that have opened up when you’ve finished your series of choice, you can talk until the Earth turns inside out.

Early morning gym class

It might (will) be cold, but there is nothing better than being up and about before most of the campus. The Recreation Center has group fitness classes early in the morning. I’m not saying you should do it every day, but the days are running short and in these last few weeks you can wake up once and go to a cardio kickboxing or yoga class. Exercise is a great way to wake up and invigorate the rest of your day. You’ll feel refreshed and also have bragging rights for being awake while everyone else was being lazy and sleeping. If going to the gym isn’t your thing, just wake up and walk around outside in the crisp air.

Go phoneless

Cell phones have become a staple accessory in our daily lives, but honestly they’re not a necessity. There is far too much dependence on this piece of technology that many times detracts from real-time interactions. I’m not going to list pros and cons here, because most everyone is aware where this reliance is heading. Before the world comes to its crashing end, take a day to unplug. You might find you feel disconnected, weird and maybe even a little scared: This is normal. It should also be liberating and empowering. You just navigated a whole day like someone would have almost a decade ago, and boy did it feel great!

Go hiking

Amherst is in an incredibly scenic area, and going out for a walk or a hike on a beautiful day is an opportunity that you shouldn’t miss out on before your untimely demises. There are walking and biking trails in Amherst, such as the Robert Frost Trail, Norwottock Rail Trail, or some of the literary trails, which are geared toward local culture seekers. There are mountains close by that you can go hiking on, and they have great views. Take a little picnic with your friends and watch the landscape around you and be in awe of this great big world we live in –  until Dec. 21, that is.

Araz Havan can be reached at ahavan@student.umass.edu.