UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Trio of freshmen leading UMass hockey’s offense early in the season -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A guide to comic collecting in the Pioneer Valley -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Letter: What’s behind the curtains on Birthright trips? -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

FBI director’s fear-mongering view of data encryption is off the mark -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass Permaculture Initiative to add three new programs -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Gov. Deval Patrick visits Amherst, awards $1.5 million grant for downtown development -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UHS offers more accessible vaccination clinics as flu season nears -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Gamard: Is gluten really bad or just a fad? -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Three new students appointed as SGA special assistants -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Allymohamed scores game winner after suffering facial injury against Boston University -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Loaded weekend against Marist, Keene State challenges UMass club hockey -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

UMass football seeing improvement on both the offensive and defensive lines -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Remembering Derek Jeter: an appraisal -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Yellowcard switches things up on “Lift a Sail” -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Campus Sustainability Day to take place Wednesday -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Five achievable pre-apocalyptic activities

MCT

The end to end all the predictions of the end of the world is coming, and soon. Dec. 21 is supposed to be the actual end of the world, or so the Mayan calendar claims. This is only in a few weeks, so forget about your assignments, forget about classes and just do everything you’ve always dreamed of. But in case the world doesn’t end, don’t actually stop studying. Here’s a few things you can do that won’t be as dramatic as the end of the world as we know it.

Sky watch

It may be starting to get chilly, but if you have the chance, bundle up a little and sky watch. Sky watching is the epitome of relaxation and it seems that these days being relaxed is a rare occurrence. Have a super lazy day or finish doing everything that needs to be done so you can take the time to lay down and look up for a little while. Those fluffy cumulous clouds lolling across the sky are just asking to be creatures of your imaginations. Let the minutes slowly roll past, because before you know it, the world will be ending, and you’ll be wishing you had at least one more day to appreciate your precious minutes.

Watch an entire series

You haven’t really lived unless you’ve watched a whole series of a show. How else will you join conversation about pop culture? You won’t, that’s how. You’ll start to avoid conversations about TV, because you’ll be too embarrassed to show how unknowledgeable you really are. Don’t let this happen as Dec. 21 creeps closer. If you think that you’ll be taking time away from actual socializing while you’re watching “Gossip Girl” or “Breaking Bad,” be assured that you are not. With all the brand new topics that have opened up when you’ve finished your series of choice, you can talk until the Earth turns inside out.

Early morning gym class

It might (will) be cold, but there is nothing better than being up and about before most of the campus. The Recreation Center has group fitness classes early in the morning. I’m not saying you should do it every day, but the days are running short and in these last few weeks you can wake up once and go to a cardio kickboxing or yoga class. Exercise is a great way to wake up and invigorate the rest of your day. You’ll feel refreshed and also have bragging rights for being awake while everyone else was being lazy and sleeping. If going to the gym isn’t your thing, just wake up and walk around outside in the crisp air.

Go phoneless

Cell phones have become a staple accessory in our daily lives, but honestly they’re not a necessity. There is far too much dependence on this piece of technology that many times detracts from real-time interactions. I’m not going to list pros and cons here, because most everyone is aware where this reliance is heading. Before the world comes to its crashing end, take a day to unplug. You might find you feel disconnected, weird and maybe even a little scared: This is normal. It should also be liberating and empowering. You just navigated a whole day like someone would have almost a decade ago, and boy did it feel great!

Go hiking

Amherst is in an incredibly scenic area, and going out for a walk or a hike on a beautiful day is an opportunity that you shouldn’t miss out on before your untimely demises. There are walking and biking trails in Amherst, such as the Robert Frost Trail, Norwottock Rail Trail, or some of the literary trails, which are geared toward local culture seekers. There are mountains close by that you can go hiking on, and they have great views. Take a little picnic with your friends and watch the landscape around you and be in awe of this great big world we live in –  until Dec. 21, that is.

Araz Havan can be reached at ahavan@student.umass.edu.