UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Five achievable pre-apocalyptic activities

MCT

The end to end all the predictions of the end of the world is coming, and soon. Dec. 21 is supposed to be the actual end of the world, or so the Mayan calendar claims. This is only in a few weeks, so forget about your assignments, forget about classes and just do everything you’ve always dreamed of. But in case the world doesn’t end, don’t actually stop studying. Here’s a few things you can do that won’t be as dramatic as the end of the world as we know it.

Sky watch

It may be starting to get chilly, but if you have the chance, bundle up a little and sky watch. Sky watching is the epitome of relaxation and it seems that these days being relaxed is a rare occurrence. Have a super lazy day or finish doing everything that needs to be done so you can take the time to lay down and look up for a little while. Those fluffy cumulous clouds lolling across the sky are just asking to be creatures of your imaginations. Let the minutes slowly roll past, because before you know it, the world will be ending, and you’ll be wishing you had at least one more day to appreciate your precious minutes.

Watch an entire series

You haven’t really lived unless you’ve watched a whole series of a show. How else will you join conversation about pop culture? You won’t, that’s how. You’ll start to avoid conversations about TV, because you’ll be too embarrassed to show how unknowledgeable you really are. Don’t let this happen as Dec. 21 creeps closer. If you think that you’ll be taking time away from actual socializing while you’re watching “Gossip Girl” or “Breaking Bad,” be assured that you are not. With all the brand new topics that have opened up when you’ve finished your series of choice, you can talk until the Earth turns inside out.

Early morning gym class

It might (will) be cold, but there is nothing better than being up and about before most of the campus. The Recreation Center has group fitness classes early in the morning. I’m not saying you should do it every day, but the days are running short and in these last few weeks you can wake up once and go to a cardio kickboxing or yoga class. Exercise is a great way to wake up and invigorate the rest of your day. You’ll feel refreshed and also have bragging rights for being awake while everyone else was being lazy and sleeping. If going to the gym isn’t your thing, just wake up and walk around outside in the crisp air.

Go phoneless

Cell phones have become a staple accessory in our daily lives, but honestly they’re not a necessity. There is far too much dependence on this piece of technology that many times detracts from real-time interactions. I’m not going to list pros and cons here, because most everyone is aware where this reliance is heading. Before the world comes to its crashing end, take a day to unplug. You might find you feel disconnected, weird and maybe even a little scared: This is normal. It should also be liberating and empowering. You just navigated a whole day like someone would have almost a decade ago, and boy did it feel great!

Go hiking

Amherst is in an incredibly scenic area, and going out for a walk or a hike on a beautiful day is an opportunity that you shouldn’t miss out on before your untimely demises. There are walking and biking trails in Amherst, such as the Robert Frost Trail, Norwottock Rail Trail, or some of the literary trails, which are geared toward local culture seekers. There are mountains close by that you can go hiking on, and they have great views. Take a little picnic with your friends and watch the landscape around you and be in awe of this great big world we live in –  until Dec. 21, that is.

Araz Havan can be reached at ahavan@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.