DEVELOPING: Police investigating apparent death in McNamara Hall -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Protect Our Breasts runs Breast Cancer Awareness campaign -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Underclassmen lead UMass hockey to first victory of the season -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS: A classic revitalized -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Improve the FAC -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students at UMass rally to show support for Hong Kong -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Duolingo makes learning a language easier -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s swimming and diving falls to Army; women’s team gets revenge -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass field hockey gets back to .500 with win over BU Sunday -

Monday, October 20, 2014

‘Columbus Day’ demonstrates ignorant view of the past -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer drops 5-0 decision to Saint Louis -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students for Justice in Palestine aims to spread awareness, not argue -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Mending fences: SGA and Amherst officials work together to improve town/gown relations -

Monday, October 20, 2014

The Phablet continues to grow and maintain popularity -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dayton Flyers soar at Rudd Field, 4-1 over the Minutemen -

Sunday, October 19, 2014

UMass football’s Sharpe continues his banner season in 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Shadrach Abrokwah has career day in UMass football’s 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan. -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

UMass tops Eastern Michigan 36-14, puts together first FBS winning streak -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Minutemen fall to Dayton 4-1 due to sloppy start -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

How to maximize your party with the right drink-song combination

benzpics63/Flickr

Certain music calls for certain drinks. Knowing what to mix to certain songs to fit the mood of the night is an art form in itself. While there are some websites, such as Drinkify.org, designed to create the perfect cocktail for any music selection. These websites often offer suggestions that are too classy or too expensive for the “college student budget” and fail to generate a flawlessly trashy beverage for the likes of modern musical marvels like Ke$ha. College isn’t about the expensive liquors and perfectly bar-tended cocktails, but about originality and experimentation with your drink choices.

The following list of songs is arbitrary, to say the least, but should cover a wide range of emotions, party themes and social (or antisocial) occasions. So crank up the speakers to the max, set your iPod to one track repeat and enjoy these harmonious drink pairings.

Die Young by Ke$ha:

Seniors will understand that one of the only things that has remained standard in the past four years at college is their fearless party leader: Ke$ha. She brings yet another party anthem to masses with her new song, “Die Young.” Though the recommended drink for any Ke$ha song is an array of Rubinoff shots, the freshman days of “Tik Tok” and vodka in water bottles are supposedly long over. Instead, pour yourself a glass of Mountain Dew on the rocks—the caffeine in this alone will have you partying all night long—add two shots of Watermelon Schnapps and one shot of Jack Daniels. Cover yourself in glitter and have a night hitting the city and hopefully you’ll wake up in the morning feeling like P.Diddy.

Someone Like You by Adele:

It’s a Saturday night and you’re curled up on your couch, wiping the tears you’ve been crying over your latest ex onto the scarf you’re still knitting him. Instead of trying to cheer yourself up, you add insult to injury and put on your “Good Cry Playlist” which starts with Adele’s “Someone Like You.” Now would be an appropriate time to open that double bottle of red wine you were saving for your anniversary dinner. Don’t even bother with a glass, just enjoy.

Pontoon by Little Big Town:

Country songs are predominantly about three things: women, small towns and drinking. This song encompasses all of that, but on a boat. Watch this music video, laugh until you need to drink homemade moonshine or classic Coors to cope with what you’ve just heard. Drink to the country spirit you know you have hidden deep inside.

Diamonds by Rihanna:

Payday has finally come around and for the next 24 hours, you feel like you’re Mr. Money Bags. After listening to “Make It Rain” and throwing a wad of George Washington’s into the air, put on a classy tuxedo or a little black dress and listen to Rihanna’s “Diamonds.” In an ode to this fancy stone and your newfound riches, buy a bottle of Ouzo and freeze it. Ouzo, a traditional Greek liquor that tastes like black licorice, crystalizes when frozen and looks like sparkly diamonds. Pour the liquid gems into shot glasses and toast to feeling rich for a day.

We Are Never Getting Back Together by Taylor Swift:

Although Swift may say that she and her ex are never getting back together about a 100 times in her new song, actions speak louder than words. Take one part cheap vodka, one part cheap beer, one part bitterness, one part utter disdain, find the person you never want to get back together with and hurl that beverage at him or her. That’ll be sure put the ever, ever in your never ever, ever.

The key to pairing songs with cocktails is to never let the cocktail get too strong so that you can’t enjoy the music. Whether you find yourself on a Pontoon boat with a cooler full of Coors, on your couch with a tissue box and a bottle of wine or brushing your teeth with a bottle of Jack and then hitting the city, our fearless party leader, Ke$ha, implores us to “make the most of this night like we’re going to die young.”

Allie Connell can be reached at aconn0@student.umass.edu