Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

How to maximize your party with the right drink-song combination

benzpics63/Flickr

Certain music calls for certain drinks. Knowing what to mix to certain songs to fit the mood of the night is an art form in itself. While there are some websites, such as Drinkify.org, designed to create the perfect cocktail for any music selection. These websites often offer suggestions that are too classy or too expensive for the “college student budget” and fail to generate a flawlessly trashy beverage for the likes of modern musical marvels like Ke$ha. College isn’t about the expensive liquors and perfectly bar-tended cocktails, but about originality and experimentation with your drink choices.

The following list of songs is arbitrary, to say the least, but should cover a wide range of emotions, party themes and social (or antisocial) occasions. So crank up the speakers to the max, set your iPod to one track repeat and enjoy these harmonious drink pairings.

Die Young by Ke$ha:

Seniors will understand that one of the only things that has remained standard in the past four years at college is their fearless party leader: Ke$ha. She brings yet another party anthem to masses with her new song, “Die Young.” Though the recommended drink for any Ke$ha song is an array of Rubinoff shots, the freshman days of “Tik Tok” and vodka in water bottles are supposedly long over. Instead, pour yourself a glass of Mountain Dew on the rocks—the caffeine in this alone will have you partying all night long—add two shots of Watermelon Schnapps and one shot of Jack Daniels. Cover yourself in glitter and have a night hitting the city and hopefully you’ll wake up in the morning feeling like P.Diddy.

Someone Like You by Adele:

It’s a Saturday night and you’re curled up on your couch, wiping the tears you’ve been crying over your latest ex onto the scarf you’re still knitting him. Instead of trying to cheer yourself up, you add insult to injury and put on your “Good Cry Playlist” which starts with Adele’s “Someone Like You.” Now would be an appropriate time to open that double bottle of red wine you were saving for your anniversary dinner. Don’t even bother with a glass, just enjoy.

Pontoon by Little Big Town:

Country songs are predominantly about three things: women, small towns and drinking. This song encompasses all of that, but on a boat. Watch this music video, laugh until you need to drink homemade moonshine or classic Coors to cope with what you’ve just heard. Drink to the country spirit you know you have hidden deep inside.

Diamonds by Rihanna:

Payday has finally come around and for the next 24 hours, you feel like you’re Mr. Money Bags. After listening to “Make It Rain” and throwing a wad of George Washington’s into the air, put on a classy tuxedo or a little black dress and listen to Rihanna’s “Diamonds.” In an ode to this fancy stone and your newfound riches, buy a bottle of Ouzo and freeze it. Ouzo, a traditional Greek liquor that tastes like black licorice, crystalizes when frozen and looks like sparkly diamonds. Pour the liquid gems into shot glasses and toast to feeling rich for a day.

We Are Never Getting Back Together by Taylor Swift:

Although Swift may say that she and her ex are never getting back together about a 100 times in her new song, actions speak louder than words. Take one part cheap vodka, one part cheap beer, one part bitterness, one part utter disdain, find the person you never want to get back together with and hurl that beverage at him or her. That’ll be sure put the ever, ever in your never ever, ever.

The key to pairing songs with cocktails is to never let the cocktail get too strong so that you can’t enjoy the music. Whether you find yourself on a Pontoon boat with a cooler full of Coors, on your couch with a tissue box and a bottle of wine or brushing your teeth with a bottle of Jack and then hitting the city, our fearless party leader, Ke$ha, implores us to “make the most of this night like we’re going to die young.”

Allie Connell can be reached at aconn0@student.umass.edu

You must be logged in to post a comment.