Report: UMass continues search for new athletic director, DeFilippo not an option -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UPDATE: Police to charge UMass football player with two counts of aggravated assault and battery -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Students for Justice in Palestine, administration react to inflammatory posters -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass falls short, lacks energy in 82-71 loss to Saint Joseph’s -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Drake’s surprise mixtape yields few surprises -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Potential shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security offers chance for Republican legislature to learn from its mistakes -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Winless UMass faces Brown -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Jose Gonzalez returns with graceful “Vestiges & Claws” -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

SGA to host Women’s Leadership Symposium -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass women’s basketball finishes road schedule with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Keystone XL pipeline sparks pollution awareness -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dartmouth and Fordham to start stretch of key games for Minutewomen -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

DeAndre Bembry has career day in win over UMass -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Discussion on Palestine incorporates history as well as recent posters targeting SJP -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass set for season finale in Connecticut -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Imagine Dragons deliver nothing but “Smoke & Mirrors” on their second album. -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass student files federal civil rights lawsuit against Amherst police officers after ‘Blarney’ arrest -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

SGA spring elections campaigns kick off -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

UMass must contain Bembry in rematch with St. Joe’s -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Chaz Williams returns from his stint overseas, signs contract with Maine Red Claws -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

How to maximize your party with the right drink-song combination

benzpics63/Flickr

Certain music calls for certain drinks. Knowing what to mix to certain songs to fit the mood of the night is an art form in itself. While there are some websites, such as Drinkify.org, designed to create the perfect cocktail for any music selection. These websites often offer suggestions that are too classy or too expensive for the “college student budget” and fail to generate a flawlessly trashy beverage for the likes of modern musical marvels like Ke$ha. College isn’t about the expensive liquors and perfectly bar-tended cocktails, but about originality and experimentation with your drink choices.

The following list of songs is arbitrary, to say the least, but should cover a wide range of emotions, party themes and social (or antisocial) occasions. So crank up the speakers to the max, set your iPod to one track repeat and enjoy these harmonious drink pairings.

Die Young by Ke$ha:

Seniors will understand that one of the only things that has remained standard in the past four years at college is their fearless party leader: Ke$ha. She brings yet another party anthem to masses with her new song, “Die Young.” Though the recommended drink for any Ke$ha song is an array of Rubinoff shots, the freshman days of “Tik Tok” and vodka in water bottles are supposedly long over. Instead, pour yourself a glass of Mountain Dew on the rocks—the caffeine in this alone will have you partying all night long—add two shots of Watermelon Schnapps and one shot of Jack Daniels. Cover yourself in glitter and have a night hitting the city and hopefully you’ll wake up in the morning feeling like P.Diddy.

Someone Like You by Adele:

It’s a Saturday night and you’re curled up on your couch, wiping the tears you’ve been crying over your latest ex onto the scarf you’re still knitting him. Instead of trying to cheer yourself up, you add insult to injury and put on your “Good Cry Playlist” which starts with Adele’s “Someone Like You.” Now would be an appropriate time to open that double bottle of red wine you were saving for your anniversary dinner. Don’t even bother with a glass, just enjoy.

Pontoon by Little Big Town:

Country songs are predominantly about three things: women, small towns and drinking. This song encompasses all of that, but on a boat. Watch this music video, laugh until you need to drink homemade moonshine or classic Coors to cope with what you’ve just heard. Drink to the country spirit you know you have hidden deep inside.

Diamonds by Rihanna:

Payday has finally come around and for the next 24 hours, you feel like you’re Mr. Money Bags. After listening to “Make It Rain” and throwing a wad of George Washington’s into the air, put on a classy tuxedo or a little black dress and listen to Rihanna’s “Diamonds.” In an ode to this fancy stone and your newfound riches, buy a bottle of Ouzo and freeze it. Ouzo, a traditional Greek liquor that tastes like black licorice, crystalizes when frozen and looks like sparkly diamonds. Pour the liquid gems into shot glasses and toast to feeling rich for a day.

We Are Never Getting Back Together by Taylor Swift:

Although Swift may say that she and her ex are never getting back together about a 100 times in her new song, actions speak louder than words. Take one part cheap vodka, one part cheap beer, one part bitterness, one part utter disdain, find the person you never want to get back together with and hurl that beverage at him or her. That’ll be sure put the ever, ever in your never ever, ever.

The key to pairing songs with cocktails is to never let the cocktail get too strong so that you can’t enjoy the music. Whether you find yourself on a Pontoon boat with a cooler full of Coors, on your couch with a tissue box and a bottle of wine or brushing your teeth with a bottle of Jack and then hitting the city, our fearless party leader, Ke$ha, implores us to “make the most of this night like we’re going to die young.”

Allie Connell can be reached at aconn0@student.umass.edu