BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass women’s basketball handles American, 71-61 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass basketball downed by Florida Gulf Coast 84-75 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Letter to the Editor: 11/13/12

To the editor,

Last night I streamed into Southwest Residential Area with a thousand or so of my closest friends in absolute ecstasy over the election results. President Barack Obama was re-elected president, and the crowd was raucous: toilet paper rolls hurled across the crowd, American flags unfurled and were borne on the backs of screaming students, chants of “U-S-A, U-S-A!” echoed against the brick walls of Kennedy, JQA, Coolidge and the assorted dorms of Southwest.

Maria Uminski/Collegian

At first, I was proud, excited, rowdy with the rest of them. I smiled as toilet paper unfurled above me, laughed as a friend of mine screamed that he wouldn’t have to change his citizenship, and clapped along as we chanted in unison about the reelection of Obama.
But that did not last long – the gathering took only half an hour or so before it took a turn for the worse. The first, and perhaps expected outcome was that of the destruction of property: a window broken by a toilet paper roll hurled at a dormitory window, and a tree nearly set on fire as students draped toilet paper around a sapling maple tree and lit it alight with butane lighters. This was disappointing, but perhaps to be expected; there is always likely to be some collateral damage when thousands of well-lubricated students engage in drunken revelry with little to no apparent police presence.
What concerned me more, though, was the attitude of some students in the crowd, and what they began to chant. I was standing near the John Quincy Adams residence hall, near the center of the celebration, when some of the male students noticed a group of female residents looking out, observing. A group of students began to scream at the girls in the window, asking them to “show their tits.”

At first, it was an isolated cheer, but soon it was picked up by the crowd at large. I looked out at amazement as a group of people previously cheering for a liberal president, a man who champions women’s rights, easily picked up the sexist, misogynistic chant without realizing the hypocrisy. For the next half hour or so, the crowd would return to screaming about that window, the chants getting more and more vulgar as the girls in the window teased the crowd, but ultimately did not acquiesce to their demands.
I felt dirty standing there. I felt dirty standing with thousands of students who seemed to forget what brought them there – the communal feeling of democracy, the desire to feel relevant – and instead called for women to show them what they wanted, who allowed their lust and base desires to overshadow the importance of this moment.
This is an important moment for UMass. A woman was recently allegedly raped by four men in her dormitory at UMass, and Amherst College is embroiled in controversy over the administration’s handling of another woman’s sexual assault on campus.
You may say that these are so far removed in magnitude, that to compare rape to the chants of drunken college students is absurd. But the attitude is the same: the objectification of women, the idea that they are merely subjects of men’s desires, the idea that it’s not a serious problem is a common thread among all of these actions.
Obama is a democrat. Democrats are supposed to be the progressive party, the party that carries the women vote, the party that distances itself from Republican candidates who speak of “legitimate rape” and rape as a “blessing from God,” in the words of Senate Candidates Thomas Mourdock and Todd Akin. And yet those same supporters thought nothing of pressuring women, of acting like absolute buffoons, of burning, destroying, and harassing women who happened to appear in a window near them.
I know that tomorrow I will make up and smile because my candidate was elected, and because I believe the country is moving forward in the right direction. But there will be a sour taste in my mouth, and it is all of our faults.

James Fahey

jfahey@student.umass.edu

2 Responses to “Letter to the Editor: 11/13/12”
  1. hm says:

i am not quite sure you have got to the bottom of this phenomenon. you have been right to point out there is some persistent tendency toward ‘riots’ in SWRA, which has nothing to do with politics, and almost not any more to do with sports. misogyny may indeed be one thing that shows itself then, but i don’t think that’s its basis.

2. James Fahey says:

hm, I’m a little confused as to where you got the impression that I was implying that misogyny was the basis for the riot. I merely stated that though politics, or just a desire to witness something communal drove them to Southwest, that they easily picked up a hateful chant. Obviously it wasn’t the basis for a riot–I think people would be a little bit up in arms if someone based a riot/celebration on degrading women. It’s the subtle and easy way in which misogynistic chants and attitudes are incorporated into something completely unrelated that worries me.