BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass women’s basketball handles American, 71-61 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass basketball downed by Florida Gulf Coast 84-75 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Skyfall does not disappoint

Flickr/soylentgreen23

James Bond is back just in time to celebrate 50 years in action in the new film Skyfall. Skyfall does not follow the typical 007 formula precisely, which is what makes it such a great addition to the franchise.

The action starts right away, and pulls you in with Bond’s pursuit of a computer hard drive through an intense motorcycle chase on the rooftop of the Grand Bazaar. The chase turns into one of the best train fighting scenes I’ve ever seen (although I can’t say I’ve seen too many). After an unfortunate mistake in the mission, Bond seeks recluse, until he hears of terrorist attacks on MI6, prompting his return to London. We see an aged, beaten down Bond when he returns to London, but he refuses to quit his work as a field agent.

This 007 film has a much more personal aspect to it. We don’t just see the smooth Bond on a mission against a psycho trying to conquer the world, but we see him defending MI6, the closest thing he has to home and M, his family. Bond is shown to be weak in parts of the film, where substance abuse and aspects of his childhood and family life are revealed. But rest assured, the cliché Bond, who takes his martini shaken not stirred, still exists.

The new Q is worth mentioning and is a fun addition to the film. He is young and somewhat nerdy, but witty and a computer genius. The technology in this film is toned down a bit from the past. The only gadgets Bond is given are a handgun that will only shoot based on his palm print, and a radio that sends out a distress signal. The computer tracking and hacking would have seemed incredible years ago, but the technology we have available to us today makes it seem much more realistic, rather than fantasy.

M takes on a much greater role in Skyfall. She is an integral part of the terrorist attacks, as the villain is one of her former 00-agents whom she betrayed in the past. He, by consequence, has a severe mom complex and seeks retribution against M. He was once one of her best agents, but now he wants her dead. He is one of the best villains because he has a personal relationship to the target of his mission. He is manipulative and brilliant in his strategies to wreak havoc on MI6.

M’s fondness of 007 and his loyalty to her is proved in many instances throughout the film. Much of the film’s action revolves around them, and Bond’s attempts to keep M safe. Their relationship takes a greater presence, which is necessary as Bond audiences bid farewell to M, who has been so fundamental to the franchise

Daniel Craig is argued to be one of the best Bonds since Sean Connery, and I don’t disagree. He is more human in Skyfall than his other movies, but he does 007 justice once again. Skyfall is intense, but fun, without veering into absurdity. It is a perfect balance, and a perfect way to celebrate 50 years of James Bond.

Taylor Gilmore can be reached  at tgilmore@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Skyfall does not disappoint”
  1. Alex Culver says:

Nice to see a girl reviewing James Bond, and on that note its a damn good review. =)