UMass Dining places Super Bowl food bet with University of Washington -

Friday, January 30, 2015

Super Bowl XLIX Preview: New England Patriots vs. Seattle Seahawks -

Friday, January 30, 2015

John McCutcheon reflects on his time at UMass, admits it’s time for change -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass downs Dayton in bounce-back win -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass athletic director John McCutcheon to take job at UCSB -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass encourages responsible celebrating, modifies guest policy ahead of Super Bowl -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball returns home to Mullins Center with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Microsoft introduces Windows 10, Codename Spartan and the HoloLens -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cheap gas, a speed bump for the planet -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Friday night a chance at redemption for UMass hockey -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Beautiful focuses on body image and loving oneself -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Minutewomen set to redeem themselves against the Bonnies -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball seeks more consistency out of its veterans -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass hockey hopes to ride momentum into Friday’s matchup against Boston University -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tips for maintain and transitioning to a healthier lifestyle -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

MASSPIRG urges McDonalds to stop purchasing meat raised with antibiotics -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How to avoid, treat and prevent Computer Vision Syndrome as a college student -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Obama and Modi strengthen ties between U.S. and India -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass receives research honor from the Carnegie Foundation -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Islamophobia is a form of racism that needs to be stopped -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Skyfall does not disappoint

Flickr/soylentgreen23

James Bond is back just in time to celebrate 50 years in action in the new film Skyfall. Skyfall does not follow the typical 007 formula precisely, which is what makes it such a great addition to the franchise.

The action starts right away, and pulls you in with Bond’s pursuit of a computer hard drive through an intense motorcycle chase on the rooftop of the Grand Bazaar. The chase turns into one of the best train fighting scenes I’ve ever seen (although I can’t say I’ve seen too many). After an unfortunate mistake in the mission, Bond seeks recluse, until he hears of terrorist attacks on MI6, prompting his return to London. We see an aged, beaten down Bond when he returns to London, but he refuses to quit his work as a field agent.

This 007 film has a much more personal aspect to it. We don’t just see the smooth Bond on a mission against a psycho trying to conquer the world, but we see him defending MI6, the closest thing he has to home and M, his family. Bond is shown to be weak in parts of the film, where substance abuse and aspects of his childhood and family life are revealed. But rest assured, the cliché Bond, who takes his martini shaken not stirred, still exists.

The new Q is worth mentioning and is a fun addition to the film. He is young and somewhat nerdy, but witty and a computer genius. The technology in this film is toned down a bit from the past. The only gadgets Bond is given are a handgun that will only shoot based on his palm print, and a radio that sends out a distress signal. The computer tracking and hacking would have seemed incredible years ago, but the technology we have available to us today makes it seem much more realistic, rather than fantasy.

M takes on a much greater role in Skyfall. She is an integral part of the terrorist attacks, as the villain is one of her former 00-agents whom she betrayed in the past. He, by consequence, has a severe mom complex and seeks retribution against M. He was once one of her best agents, but now he wants her dead. He is one of the best villains because he has a personal relationship to the target of his mission. He is manipulative and brilliant in his strategies to wreak havoc on MI6.

M’s fondness of 007 and his loyalty to her is proved in many instances throughout the film. Much of the film’s action revolves around them, and Bond’s attempts to keep M safe. Their relationship takes a greater presence, which is necessary as Bond audiences bid farewell to M, who has been so fundamental to the franchise

Daniel Craig is argued to be one of the best Bonds since Sean Connery, and I don’t disagree. He is more human in Skyfall than his other movies, but he does 007 justice once again. Skyfall is intense, but fun, without veering into absurdity. It is a perfect balance, and a perfect way to celebrate 50 years of James Bond.

Taylor Gilmore can be reached  at tgilmore@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Skyfall does not disappoint”
  1. Alex Culver says:

Nice to see a girl reviewing James Bond, and on that note its a damn good review. =)