VIDEO: UMass United Ralley in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

Skyfall does not disappoint

Flickr/soylentgreen23

James Bond is back just in time to celebrate 50 years in action in the new film Skyfall. Skyfall does not follow the typical 007 formula precisely, which is what makes it such a great addition to the franchise.

The action starts right away, and pulls you in with Bond’s pursuit of a computer hard drive through an intense motorcycle chase on the rooftop of the Grand Bazaar. The chase turns into one of the best train fighting scenes I’ve ever seen (although I can’t say I’ve seen too many). After an unfortunate mistake in the mission, Bond seeks recluse, until he hears of terrorist attacks on MI6, prompting his return to London. We see an aged, beaten down Bond when he returns to London, but he refuses to quit his work as a field agent.

This 007 film has a much more personal aspect to it. We don’t just see the smooth Bond on a mission against a psycho trying to conquer the world, but we see him defending MI6, the closest thing he has to home and M, his family. Bond is shown to be weak in parts of the film, where substance abuse and aspects of his childhood and family life are revealed. But rest assured, the cliché Bond, who takes his martini shaken not stirred, still exists.

The new Q is worth mentioning and is a fun addition to the film. He is young and somewhat nerdy, but witty and a computer genius. The technology in this film is toned down a bit from the past. The only gadgets Bond is given are a handgun that will only shoot based on his palm print, and a radio that sends out a distress signal. The computer tracking and hacking would have seemed incredible years ago, but the technology we have available to us today makes it seem much more realistic, rather than fantasy.

M takes on a much greater role in Skyfall. She is an integral part of the terrorist attacks, as the villain is one of her former 00-agents whom she betrayed in the past. He, by consequence, has a severe mom complex and seeks retribution against M. He was once one of her best agents, but now he wants her dead. He is one of the best villains because he has a personal relationship to the target of his mission. He is manipulative and brilliant in his strategies to wreak havoc on MI6.

M’s fondness of 007 and his loyalty to her is proved in many instances throughout the film. Much of the film’s action revolves around them, and Bond’s attempts to keep M safe. Their relationship takes a greater presence, which is necessary as Bond audiences bid farewell to M, who has been so fundamental to the franchise

Daniel Craig is argued to be one of the best Bonds since Sean Connery, and I don’t disagree. He is more human in Skyfall than his other movies, but he does 007 justice once again. Skyfall is intense, but fun, without veering into absurdity. It is a perfect balance, and a perfect way to celebrate 50 years of James Bond.

Taylor Gilmore can be reached  at tgilmore@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Skyfall does not disappoint”
  1. Alex Culver says:

Nice to see a girl reviewing James Bond, and on that note its a damn good review. =)