UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Skyfall does not disappoint

Flickr/soylentgreen23

James Bond is back just in time to celebrate 50 years in action in the new film Skyfall. Skyfall does not follow the typical 007 formula precisely, which is what makes it such a great addition to the franchise.

The action starts right away, and pulls you in with Bond’s pursuit of a computer hard drive through an intense motorcycle chase on the rooftop of the Grand Bazaar. The chase turns into one of the best train fighting scenes I’ve ever seen (although I can’t say I’ve seen too many). After an unfortunate mistake in the mission, Bond seeks recluse, until he hears of terrorist attacks on MI6, prompting his return to London. We see an aged, beaten down Bond when he returns to London, but he refuses to quit his work as a field agent.

This 007 film has a much more personal aspect to it. We don’t just see the smooth Bond on a mission against a psycho trying to conquer the world, but we see him defending MI6, the closest thing he has to home and M, his family. Bond is shown to be weak in parts of the film, where substance abuse and aspects of his childhood and family life are revealed. But rest assured, the cliché Bond, who takes his martini shaken not stirred, still exists.

The new Q is worth mentioning and is a fun addition to the film. He is young and somewhat nerdy, but witty and a computer genius. The technology in this film is toned down a bit from the past. The only gadgets Bond is given are a handgun that will only shoot based on his palm print, and a radio that sends out a distress signal. The computer tracking and hacking would have seemed incredible years ago, but the technology we have available to us today makes it seem much more realistic, rather than fantasy.

M takes on a much greater role in Skyfall. She is an integral part of the terrorist attacks, as the villain is one of her former 00-agents whom she betrayed in the past. He, by consequence, has a severe mom complex and seeks retribution against M. He was once one of her best agents, but now he wants her dead. He is one of the best villains because he has a personal relationship to the target of his mission. He is manipulative and brilliant in his strategies to wreak havoc on MI6.

M’s fondness of 007 and his loyalty to her is proved in many instances throughout the film. Much of the film’s action revolves around them, and Bond’s attempts to keep M safe. Their relationship takes a greater presence, which is necessary as Bond audiences bid farewell to M, who has been so fundamental to the franchise

Daniel Craig is argued to be one of the best Bonds since Sean Connery, and I don’t disagree. He is more human in Skyfall than his other movies, but he does 007 justice once again. Skyfall is intense, but fun, without veering into absurdity. It is a perfect balance, and a perfect way to celebrate 50 years of James Bond.

Taylor Gilmore can be reached  at tgilmore@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Skyfall does not disappoint”
  1. Alex Culver says:

Nice to see a girl reviewing James Bond, and on that note its a damn good review. =)