Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The ten things I wish someone told me before I went to college

Courtesy of photozou.jp

1.)  As much as I’m happy to have “UMass award ranked dining,” your college diet will most likely consist of tons of caffeine and a lot of ramen/your choice of midnight snack (that you should probably shouldn’t be eating in the first place). No matter how many different things I eat at the infamous Berkshire, the food eventually does get old. There is nothing like a home cooked meal, so cherish it while you can!

2.)  College actually is different! Creating a schedule and sticking to it isn’t as easy as it seems, but you should try to do it anyway; it’ll only benefit you in the long run. REALLY get accustomed to studying a couple of hours a day/week where you finish your homework or review class material. You’ll save yourself from pulling an all-nighter, not to mention saving the money you’d spend on carbonated caffeine drinks to help you cram.

3.)  Get to know people, but you don’t have to rush to meet everyone all at once. Let’s face it- you are away from home and are looking to make all the friends you can. But truth be told, those groups of 40 kids that you used to go out with during Freshman Orientation won’t last all year (let alone semester). You might as well give yourself some time to find true friends that will last.

4.)  It is a sad but true reality that you (or someone else) are now paying for school: go to class.

5.)  It is okay to eat alone. After orientation weekend, you will probably need some down time anyway.  This is not high school where your social standing depends on where you sit in the dining hall.

6.)  I know it may seem like you have to go out Thursday-Saturday, and at first, you might even go out all three nights and go crazy. Just remember that it is okay to kick back and relax once in a while. This might sound cheesy, but you want to give yourself time to relax and do other things besides trying to piece together the night before.

7.)  Call your parents. Enough said.

8.)  Your friends at the beginning of the semester might not be your friends at the end of the semester.

9.)  Don’t be the annoying person that leaves his/her clothes in the washing machine or dryer even when they are done being washed or dried. Pick up your laundry on time. Other people will throw your now clean clothes on the floor so they can use the facilities.

10.) Play hard, work harder. But do both. Going out night after night can get just as boring as studying for hours straight. Remember, life doesn’t happen in your dorm room, it happens in someone else’s!

Purti Pareek can be reached at ppareek@student.umass.edu.