Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The ten things I wish someone told me before I went to college

Courtesy of photozou.jp

1.)  As much as I’m happy to have “UMass award ranked dining,” your college diet will most likely consist of tons of caffeine and a lot of ramen/your choice of midnight snack (that you should probably shouldn’t be eating in the first place). No matter how many different things I eat at the infamous Berkshire, the food eventually does get old. There is nothing like a home cooked meal, so cherish it while you can!

2.)  College actually is different! Creating a schedule and sticking to it isn’t as easy as it seems, but you should try to do it anyway; it’ll only benefit you in the long run. REALLY get accustomed to studying a couple of hours a day/week where you finish your homework or review class material. You’ll save yourself from pulling an all-nighter, not to mention saving the money you’d spend on carbonated caffeine drinks to help you cram.

3.)  Get to know people, but you don’t have to rush to meet everyone all at once. Let’s face it- you are away from home and are looking to make all the friends you can. But truth be told, those groups of 40 kids that you used to go out with during Freshman Orientation won’t last all year (let alone semester). You might as well give yourself some time to find true friends that will last.

4.)  It is a sad but true reality that you (or someone else) are now paying for school: go to class.

5.)  It is okay to eat alone. After orientation weekend, you will probably need some down time anyway.  This is not high school where your social standing depends on where you sit in the dining hall.

6.)  I know it may seem like you have to go out Thursday-Saturday, and at first, you might even go out all three nights and go crazy. Just remember that it is okay to kick back and relax once in a while. This might sound cheesy, but you want to give yourself time to relax and do other things besides trying to piece together the night before.

7.)  Call your parents. Enough said.

8.)  Your friends at the beginning of the semester might not be your friends at the end of the semester.

9.)  Don’t be the annoying person that leaves his/her clothes in the washing machine or dryer even when they are done being washed or dried. Pick up your laundry on time. Other people will throw your now clean clothes on the floor so they can use the facilities.

10.) Play hard, work harder. But do both. Going out night after night can get just as boring as studying for hours straight. Remember, life doesn’t happen in your dorm room, it happens in someone else’s!

Purti Pareek can be reached at ppareek@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.