UMass men’s basketball shows improvement in 3-point shooting. -

UMass men’s basketball cruises to a victory over Pacific behind a strong second half -

UMass Divest and proponents of sanctuary campus will not be allowed to speak at Board of Trustees meeting -

Former political prisoner to speak on human rights and prison experience -

UMass men’s basketball using late-game situations as learning opportunities for remainder of season -

UMass men’s basketball kicks off Gotham Classic at home against Pacific -

UMass hockey looks to continue recent improvements against Connecticut -

UMass hockey team confident in game plan despite UConn’s constant change in net -

UMass women’s basketball falls apart in the fourth quarter in 71-55 loss to Hofstra -

It’s been a long year -

A return to the collapse of 2008 -

Mindfulness in, and in spite of, a technological age -

Beer, bets and pool: a High Horse unofficial review -

Don’t let winter stop you from running outside -

BREAKING: Train allegedly strikes pedestrian in Amherst -

Campus Climate survey shows strong response -

Jennifer Carlson gives talk on race and gun law enforcement -

Labor Center to receive increased funding from University -

Verdi enforces playing a full 40 minutes as UMass takes on Hofstra -

Mulligan looks to continue seven game double-double streak at Hofstra -

“Wreck-It Ralph” Wins Moviegoers over with Cuteness

The film “Wreck-It Ralph” hit theaters on Nov. 2.

The movie’s credits contain some big names: John C. Riley plays the protagonist of the story, Ralph, alongside Sarah Silverman as Vanellope, Jack McBrayer as Felix and Jane Lynch as Calhoun. Thanks to this team of comedians, the movie provides a bunch of laughs.

Facebook

The PG-rated film’s plot is standard and easy to follow. Ralph works as a demolisher in his video game, “Wreck-It Ralph,” one of the games inside of a town’s arcade. At the end of the day when the arcade closes, the characters inside of the games come to life – similar to “Toy Story,” where Andy’s toys come to life whenever he isn’t around.

Some of Ralph’s coworkers and fellow townies within the game treat him poorly. This sparks Ralph to become a better person, while meeting several influential people along the way.

Although this movie may seem like a nerd paradise, it is quite friendly to less knowledgeable viewers in that almost all video game references are explained.

Like many films these days, the movie is offered in 3D. Although there aren’t too many pop outs, the video game graphics are fairly advanced and impressive. It appears that the creators put a great deal of effort into making the in-story video games look real.

The video game layouts are very well done. Each video game had different setups and every gamer would easily be able to recognize their favorite games. The producers made sure to select games that all types of audiences would be able to recognize. For example, the racing cart game used in this movie is called “Sugar Rush,” an original game made by Disney. Audiences, however, could say that the game is very similar to “Mario Kart,” a popular racing game first developed for Super Nintendo.

In addition to the “Mario Kart” reference, “Wreck-It Ralph” makes some more direct ones: Clyde, played by Kevin Deters, is the same Clyde (the orange ghost) from “Pac-Man.”

What really makes this movie work well is the chemistry. Reilly and Silverman work well together as Ralph and Vanellope, keeping the audience engaged and in their seats.

Although many of the characters and games are references to real-life ones, the storyline of “Wreck-It Ralph” is original, making this film stand out from other Disney films.

Even though the film is rated PG, this should not discourage older audiences from seeing it. The film appeals to all kinds of video gamers and viewers. Families will fall head-over-heels for this movie along with all kinds of crowds who can appreciate a cute and fun flick.

Rachel Arlin can be reached at rarlin@student.umass.edu.