50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

UMass baseball falls in first-ever Division I matchup with UMass Lowell 7-3 -

UMass baseball gets shut out in nonconference matchup with UConn -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Richmond, wins eighth straight Atlantic 10 championship -

UMass baseball salvages last game of weekend series with Richmond behind strong eighth inning -

UMass women’s lacrosse beats St. Joe’s, advance to Atlantic 10 championship game -

“Wreck-It Ralph” Wins Moviegoers over with Cuteness

The film “Wreck-It Ralph” hit theaters on Nov. 2.

The movie’s credits contain some big names: John C. Riley plays the protagonist of the story, Ralph, alongside Sarah Silverman as Vanellope, Jack McBrayer as Felix and Jane Lynch as Calhoun. Thanks to this team of comedians, the movie provides a bunch of laughs.

Facebook

The PG-rated film’s plot is standard and easy to follow. Ralph works as a demolisher in his video game, “Wreck-It Ralph,” one of the games inside of a town’s arcade. At the end of the day when the arcade closes, the characters inside of the games come to life – similar to “Toy Story,” where Andy’s toys come to life whenever he isn’t around.

Some of Ralph’s coworkers and fellow townies within the game treat him poorly. This sparks Ralph to become a better person, while meeting several influential people along the way.

Although this movie may seem like a nerd paradise, it is quite friendly to less knowledgeable viewers in that almost all video game references are explained.

Like many films these days, the movie is offered in 3D. Although there aren’t too many pop outs, the video game graphics are fairly advanced and impressive. It appears that the creators put a great deal of effort into making the in-story video games look real.

The video game layouts are very well done. Each video game had different setups and every gamer would easily be able to recognize their favorite games. The producers made sure to select games that all types of audiences would be able to recognize. For example, the racing cart game used in this movie is called “Sugar Rush,” an original game made by Disney. Audiences, however, could say that the game is very similar to “Mario Kart,” a popular racing game first developed for Super Nintendo.

In addition to the “Mario Kart” reference, “Wreck-It Ralph” makes some more direct ones: Clyde, played by Kevin Deters, is the same Clyde (the orange ghost) from “Pac-Man.”

What really makes this movie work well is the chemistry. Reilly and Silverman work well together as Ralph and Vanellope, keeping the audience engaged and in their seats.

Although many of the characters and games are references to real-life ones, the storyline of “Wreck-It Ralph” is original, making this film stand out from other Disney films.

Even though the film is rated PG, this should not discourage older audiences from seeing it. The film appeals to all kinds of video gamers and viewers. Families will fall head-over-heels for this movie along with all kinds of crowds who can appreciate a cute and fun flick.

Rachel Arlin can be reached at rarlin@student.umass.edu.