UMass looks ahead to 2015, for better or for worse -

Friday, November 28, 2014

UMass football falls 41-21 in season finale against Buffalo -

Friday, November 28, 2014

Minutemen defense comes up short in 41-21 loss to Buffalo -

Friday, November 28, 2014

UMass formally cuts ties with alumnus Bill Cosby -

Friday, November 28, 2014

Stanley Andre reflects on his career as Senior Day approaches -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin mulls future, potential NFL career -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

“Wreck-It Ralph” Wins Moviegoers over with Cuteness

The film “Wreck-It Ralph” hit theaters on Nov. 2.

The movie’s credits contain some big names: John C. Riley plays the protagonist of the story, Ralph, alongside Sarah Silverman as Vanellope, Jack McBrayer as Felix and Jane Lynch as Calhoun. Thanks to this team of comedians, the movie provides a bunch of laughs.

Facebook

The PG-rated film’s plot is standard and easy to follow. Ralph works as a demolisher in his video game, “Wreck-It Ralph,” one of the games inside of a town’s arcade. At the end of the day when the arcade closes, the characters inside of the games come to life – similar to “Toy Story,” where Andy’s toys come to life whenever he isn’t around.

Some of Ralph’s coworkers and fellow townies within the game treat him poorly. This sparks Ralph to become a better person, while meeting several influential people along the way.

Although this movie may seem like a nerd paradise, it is quite friendly to less knowledgeable viewers in that almost all video game references are explained.

Like many films these days, the movie is offered in 3D. Although there aren’t too many pop outs, the video game graphics are fairly advanced and impressive. It appears that the creators put a great deal of effort into making the in-story video games look real.

The video game layouts are very well done. Each video game had different setups and every gamer would easily be able to recognize their favorite games. The producers made sure to select games that all types of audiences would be able to recognize. For example, the racing cart game used in this movie is called “Sugar Rush,” an original game made by Disney. Audiences, however, could say that the game is very similar to “Mario Kart,” a popular racing game first developed for Super Nintendo.

In addition to the “Mario Kart” reference, “Wreck-It Ralph” makes some more direct ones: Clyde, played by Kevin Deters, is the same Clyde (the orange ghost) from “Pac-Man.”

What really makes this movie work well is the chemistry. Reilly and Silverman work well together as Ralph and Vanellope, keeping the audience engaged and in their seats.

Although many of the characters and games are references to real-life ones, the storyline of “Wreck-It Ralph” is original, making this film stand out from other Disney films.

Even though the film is rated PG, this should not discourage older audiences from seeing it. The film appeals to all kinds of video gamers and viewers. Families will fall head-over-heels for this movie along with all kinds of crowds who can appreciate a cute and fun flick.

Rachel Arlin can be reached at rarlin@student.umass.edu.