Students react to new fence around Townehouses -

‘Do You Have The Right To Do Drugs?’ debate held in Bowker Auditorium -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to build on three-game winning streak against Brown -

UMass softball riding five-game win streak into first Atlantic 10 showdown -

Sanzo: Inability to win close games has hurt UMass baseball -

Hannah Murphy scores 100th career goal in UMass women’s lacrosse 16-9 win over Harvard -

Old age does no harm to indie rock legends The Feelies -

A track-by-track breakdown of Drake’s new project -

When a president lies -

Let them eat steak, and other gender norms I hate -

Dissecting Science: Episode Two -

Holy Cross 10-run eighth inning sinks UMass baseball -

UMass students react to Spring Concert lineup -

Letter: Vote yes for Amherst -

You don’t have to walk alone -

Tyler Bogart and D.J. Smith lead UMass men’s lacrosse during three game win streak -

UMass women’s lacrosse emphasizes defense in approaching games as its key to gaining momentum for conference play -

Not much is new in ‘Beauty and the Beast,’ though it might not be a bad thing -

‘Get Out’ is a satirical horror for the post-Obama generation -

UPC releases spring concert lineup -

“Wreck-It Ralph” Wins Moviegoers over with Cuteness

The film “Wreck-It Ralph” hit theaters on Nov. 2.

The movie’s credits contain some big names: John C. Riley plays the protagonist of the story, Ralph, alongside Sarah Silverman as Vanellope, Jack McBrayer as Felix and Jane Lynch as Calhoun. Thanks to this team of comedians, the movie provides a bunch of laughs.

Facebook

The PG-rated film’s plot is standard and easy to follow. Ralph works as a demolisher in his video game, “Wreck-It Ralph,” one of the games inside of a town’s arcade. At the end of the day when the arcade closes, the characters inside of the games come to life – similar to “Toy Story,” where Andy’s toys come to life whenever he isn’t around.

Some of Ralph’s coworkers and fellow townies within the game treat him poorly. This sparks Ralph to become a better person, while meeting several influential people along the way.

Although this movie may seem like a nerd paradise, it is quite friendly to less knowledgeable viewers in that almost all video game references are explained.

Like many films these days, the movie is offered in 3D. Although there aren’t too many pop outs, the video game graphics are fairly advanced and impressive. It appears that the creators put a great deal of effort into making the in-story video games look real.

The video game layouts are very well done. Each video game had different setups and every gamer would easily be able to recognize their favorite games. The producers made sure to select games that all types of audiences would be able to recognize. For example, the racing cart game used in this movie is called “Sugar Rush,” an original game made by Disney. Audiences, however, could say that the game is very similar to “Mario Kart,” a popular racing game first developed for Super Nintendo.

In addition to the “Mario Kart” reference, “Wreck-It Ralph” makes some more direct ones: Clyde, played by Kevin Deters, is the same Clyde (the orange ghost) from “Pac-Man.”

What really makes this movie work well is the chemistry. Reilly and Silverman work well together as Ralph and Vanellope, keeping the audience engaged and in their seats.

Although many of the characters and games are references to real-life ones, the storyline of “Wreck-It Ralph” is original, making this film stand out from other Disney films.

Even though the film is rated PG, this should not discourage older audiences from seeing it. The film appeals to all kinds of video gamers and viewers. Families will fall head-over-heels for this movie along with all kinds of crowds who can appreciate a cute and fun flick.

Rachel Arlin can be reached at rarlin@student.umass.edu.