UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

“Wreck-It Ralph” Wins Moviegoers over with Cuteness

The film “Wreck-It Ralph” hit theaters on Nov. 2.

The movie’s credits contain some big names: John C. Riley plays the protagonist of the story, Ralph, alongside Sarah Silverman as Vanellope, Jack McBrayer as Felix and Jane Lynch as Calhoun. Thanks to this team of comedians, the movie provides a bunch of laughs.

Facebook

The PG-rated film’s plot is standard and easy to follow. Ralph works as a demolisher in his video game, “Wreck-It Ralph,” one of the games inside of a town’s arcade. At the end of the day when the arcade closes, the characters inside of the games come to life – similar to “Toy Story,” where Andy’s toys come to life whenever he isn’t around.

Some of Ralph’s coworkers and fellow townies within the game treat him poorly. This sparks Ralph to become a better person, while meeting several influential people along the way.

Although this movie may seem like a nerd paradise, it is quite friendly to less knowledgeable viewers in that almost all video game references are explained.

Like many films these days, the movie is offered in 3D. Although there aren’t too many pop outs, the video game graphics are fairly advanced and impressive. It appears that the creators put a great deal of effort into making the in-story video games look real.

The video game layouts are very well done. Each video game had different setups and every gamer would easily be able to recognize their favorite games. The producers made sure to select games that all types of audiences would be able to recognize. For example, the racing cart game used in this movie is called “Sugar Rush,” an original game made by Disney. Audiences, however, could say that the game is very similar to “Mario Kart,” a popular racing game first developed for Super Nintendo.

In addition to the “Mario Kart” reference, “Wreck-It Ralph” makes some more direct ones: Clyde, played by Kevin Deters, is the same Clyde (the orange ghost) from “Pac-Man.”

What really makes this movie work well is the chemistry. Reilly and Silverman work well together as Ralph and Vanellope, keeping the audience engaged and in their seats.

Although many of the characters and games are references to real-life ones, the storyline of “Wreck-It Ralph” is original, making this film stand out from other Disney films.

Even though the film is rated PG, this should not discourage older audiences from seeing it. The film appeals to all kinds of video gamers and viewers. Families will fall head-over-heels for this movie along with all kinds of crowds who can appreciate a cute and fun flick.

Rachel Arlin can be reached at rarlin@student.umass.edu.