Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Club hockey defeats Central Connecticut 2-0

The Massachusetts club hockey team was able to snap a four-game winless streak on Friday night, beating Central Connecticut State, 2-0, in Amherst.

Goals from senior Mark Joyce and junior Liam Gately led the attack for the Minutemen (6-5-1), both scoring their goals in the first period of the game. This was Joyce’s team-leading eighth goal of the season, while Gately tallied his second goal of the season, giving him five points on the year. Through 12 games, Joyce is now tied for the lead in points (11) with fellow senior Kevin Joyce.

The game also marked the first shutout of the season for UMass, with sophomore goaltender Tom Knox picking up his first win of the season. Also contributing to the victory was freshman Brian Collins and juniors Mike Shea and Mike Spunt, who each provided an assist.

Joyce opened up the scoring three minutes, 48 seconds into the game after receiving a pass from Shea to give the Minutemen a 1-0 lead. The score stayed this way until Gately doubled the lead for UMass with 2:43 left in the opening period on assists from Collins and Spunt.

Both teams were unable to cash in on power play opportunities, with a total of 38 penalty minutes coming in the game – 22 coming from the Minutemen.

The win marks UMass’ first since Oct. 19 when it defeated Providence, 6-3, at home.

The Minutemen continue to show their offensive fire power, scoring two or more goals in all but two games.

UMass returns to action on Sunday when it travels to Springfield to take on Springfield College at 4 p.m.

Jason Kates can be reached at jkates@student.umass.edu.