UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Club hockey defeats Central Connecticut 2-0

The Massachusetts club hockey team was able to snap a four-game winless streak on Friday night, beating Central Connecticut State, 2-0, in Amherst.

Goals from senior Mark Joyce and junior Liam Gately led the attack for the Minutemen (6-5-1), both scoring their goals in the first period of the game. This was Joyce’s team-leading eighth goal of the season, while Gately tallied his second goal of the season, giving him five points on the year. Through 12 games, Joyce is now tied for the lead in points (11) with fellow senior Kevin Joyce.

The game also marked the first shutout of the season for UMass, with sophomore goaltender Tom Knox picking up his first win of the season. Also contributing to the victory was freshman Brian Collins and juniors Mike Shea and Mike Spunt, who each provided an assist.

Joyce opened up the scoring three minutes, 48 seconds into the game after receiving a pass from Shea to give the Minutemen a 1-0 lead. The score stayed this way until Gately doubled the lead for UMass with 2:43 left in the opening period on assists from Collins and Spunt.

Both teams were unable to cash in on power play opportunities, with a total of 38 penalty minutes coming in the game – 22 coming from the Minutemen.

The win marks UMass’ first since Oct. 19 when it defeated Providence, 6-3, at home.

The Minutemen continue to show their offensive fire power, scoring two or more goals in all but two games.

UMass returns to action on Sunday when it travels to Springfield to take on Springfield College at 4 p.m.

Jason Kates can be reached at jkates@student.umass.edu.