UMass men’s basketball struggles offensively in 69-53 loss against Richmond -

UMass women’s basketball falls short against Fordham Saturday afternoon -

UMass hockey loses ninth straight, falls to No. 9 BU 6-3 -

UMass hockey can’t heed coach John Micheletto’s warning in 6-3 loss against BU -

Jury convicts Patrick Durocher of rape, assault and battery -

UMass student dies Friday morning -

Puck Talk: UMass prepares for the Terriers -

Third and 20: the Super Bowl -

UMass women’s basketball set to take on Fordham at Mullins -

UMass investigating alleged misuse of campus resources within Physical Plant -

Closing arguments delivered as Patrick Durocher trial moves toward resolution -

UMass football announces 30 members to its 2016 recruiting class -

Dean’s Beans founder speaks at first MassPIRG meeting of semester -

UMass revises guest policy for Super Bowl weekend -

UMass graduates are ‘attractive to employers’ -

IT to host open forum, discuss new acceptable use and confidentiality policies -

Herrell’s hosts event to support Whole Children -

UMass police chief hiring procedure involves input from across campus -

UMass men’s and women’s track and field set to perform this weekend in preparation for the Atlantic 10 championships -

Heather MacLean shines in junior season for UMass track and field -

Kent State, Central Michigan prevail

The Kent State football team continued its successful season on Saturday after defeating Mid-American Conference opponent, Miami (Ohio), 48-12, in Oxford, Ohio.

The Golden Flashes (9-1, 6-0 MAC) haven’t lost a game since week two, while the RedHawks (4-6, 3-3 MAC) continue their fight to get to a .500 record.

From the start of the game, the Kent State running backs dominated a shaky Miami defense. Dri Archer, Trayion Durham and quarterback Spencer Keith paved the way to a season-high 399 rushing yards to go along with five rushing touchdowns.

Durham contributed one of his two touchdowns in the first quarter on a 10-yard dash to give the Golden Flashes a 7-0 lead. Following that score, Archer scored his two touchdown runs in the first quarter, as well, coming from 35 and 43 yards out, respectively, to expand the lead to 21-0.

After another Durham touchdown, the RedHawks finally responded with a Zac Dysert 14-yard touchdown pass to Nick Harwell, slightly narrowing the lead at 28-7.  Less than two minutes later however, Keith found the end zone on the ground on a 28-yard run, giving Kent State a comfortable 35-7 advantage.

Miami picked things up in the second half, outscoring the Flashes 22-13. Dysert led the charge as he threw three touchdowns, totaling 455 yards on the day, but it didn’t prove to be enough.

The Golden Flashes try to make it nine wins in a row on Saturday when they travel to Bowling Green. Meanwhile, the RedHawks travel to Central Michigan on Saturday.

Central Michigan edges Eastern Michigan

Despite an Eastern Michigan offensive effort that outscored Central Michigan in touchdowns and gained more total yards, the Eagles (1-9, 0-6 MAC) fell to the Chippewas (4-6, 2-4 MAC), 34-31.

Eastern Michigan scored four offensive touchdowns compared to Central Michigan’s three and gained more yards, 414-403, but an interception return for a touchdown proved to be the difference and two field goals proved to be the difference for the Chippewas.

Alex Gillett hit Jay Jones on a 25-yard strike with 1:37 left to cut the Chippewas’ lead to three, but it proved to be too little too late.

After leading 14-10 going into the second half, Eastern Michigan had no answer for the Central Michigan offense, as well as defense.

At first, the game looked to belong to the Eagles once Gillett found the end zone for the second time in the game on a 53-yard touchdown run to take a 21-10 lead early in the third quarter. But the Chippewas battled back, scoring three touchdowns in the third quarter to build a 31-21 advantage.

Central Michigan looks to continue its success next Saturday against Miami (Ohio), as Eastern Michigan tries to bounce back next Saturday as well, facing another inter-state opponent, Western Michigan.

Tom Mulherin can be reached at tmulheri@student.umass.edu.