‘Stopping Genocide and Mass Atrocities by Stopping the War Profiteers’ talk at UMass -

UMass hockey falls to No. 6 UMass Lowell for third time this season -

UMass hockey breakdown in final minutes of the second period on route to 5-2 loss to UMass Lowell -

Notebook: Jack Gibbs stars as UMass men’s basketball team drops game to Davidson Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball drops another close game, falls to Davidson Saturday afternoon -

Local blogger Larry Kelley dies in car crash, remembered by community -

REPORT: UMass football to name Ed Pinkham as next defensive coordinator -

UMass students skip class to stand in solidarity with undocumented immigrants and refugees -

NPR Education Correspondent Eric Westervelt talks on future of education -

Faculty of journalism department discusses failures of journalism during Trump era -

UMass hockey prepares for third and final match-up against No. 6 UMass Lowell on Saturday -

Panelists hold discussion on embodying global coalitions -

Journalist speaks on criminalization of youth in the United States -

UMass women’s lacrosse heads to Florida in search of first win of 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to get offense back on track against Ohio State -

Duquesne stomps UMass men’s basketball 96-66 in Pittsburgh -

UMass softball focuses on mental approach ahead of Madeira Beach Invitational -

UMass women’s basketball drops eighth straight in loss at Richmond -

‘50 Shades Darker’ steams up all windows in the nation -

’20th Century Women’ is a love letter to women across generations -

Kent State, Central Michigan prevail

The Kent State football team continued its successful season on Saturday after defeating Mid-American Conference opponent, Miami (Ohio), 48-12, in Oxford, Ohio.

The Golden Flashes (9-1, 6-0 MAC) haven’t lost a game since week two, while the RedHawks (4-6, 3-3 MAC) continue their fight to get to a .500 record.

From the start of the game, the Kent State running backs dominated a shaky Miami defense. Dri Archer, Trayion Durham and quarterback Spencer Keith paved the way to a season-high 399 rushing yards to go along with five rushing touchdowns.

Durham contributed one of his two touchdowns in the first quarter on a 10-yard dash to give the Golden Flashes a 7-0 lead. Following that score, Archer scored his two touchdown runs in the first quarter, as well, coming from 35 and 43 yards out, respectively, to expand the lead to 21-0.

After another Durham touchdown, the RedHawks finally responded with a Zac Dysert 14-yard touchdown pass to Nick Harwell, slightly narrowing the lead at 28-7.  Less than two minutes later however, Keith found the end zone on the ground on a 28-yard run, giving Kent State a comfortable 35-7 advantage.

Miami picked things up in the second half, outscoring the Flashes 22-13. Dysert led the charge as he threw three touchdowns, totaling 455 yards on the day, but it didn’t prove to be enough.

The Golden Flashes try to make it nine wins in a row on Saturday when they travel to Bowling Green. Meanwhile, the RedHawks travel to Central Michigan on Saturday.

Central Michigan edges Eastern Michigan

Despite an Eastern Michigan offensive effort that outscored Central Michigan in touchdowns and gained more total yards, the Eagles (1-9, 0-6 MAC) fell to the Chippewas (4-6, 2-4 MAC), 34-31.

Eastern Michigan scored four offensive touchdowns compared to Central Michigan’s three and gained more yards, 414-403, but an interception return for a touchdown proved to be the difference and two field goals proved to be the difference for the Chippewas.

Alex Gillett hit Jay Jones on a 25-yard strike with 1:37 left to cut the Chippewas’ lead to three, but it proved to be too little too late.

After leading 14-10 going into the second half, Eastern Michigan had no answer for the Central Michigan offense, as well as defense.

At first, the game looked to belong to the Eagles once Gillett found the end zone for the second time in the game on a 53-yard touchdown run to take a 21-10 lead early in the third quarter. But the Chippewas battled back, scoring three touchdowns in the third quarter to build a 31-21 advantage.

Central Michigan looks to continue its success next Saturday against Miami (Ohio), as Eastern Michigan tries to bounce back next Saturday as well, facing another inter-state opponent, Western Michigan.

Tom Mulherin can be reached at tmulheri@student.umass.edu.