Three thefts in Fine Arts Center over past week -

Talk on women’s resistance to Brazilian military dictatorship held at the Old Chapel -

Engstrom and MacLean lead UMass cross country at Battle in Beantown -

The anti-Semitism of the Suarez talk is not the way to discuss the Israeli-/Palestinian conflict -

No, fascists are not the same as those who oppose them -

Political factions oppose each other like passionate sports fans -

Buzz starting to build for UMass hockey -

UMass Tennis starts season strong at Brown Invitational -

Foo Fighters’ ‘Concrete and Gold’ misses the mark -

Emmy’s 2017 Red Carpet fashion recap: who, what, WEAR -

We all scream for vegan ice cream -

UMass women’s soccer takes complete control in 3-1 win vs. Davidson -

Shaughnessy Naughton speaks on STEM professionals in politics -

ESPN author and journalist talks sports and mental health at UMass -

UMass men’s soccer remains unbeaten at home -

Minutewomen split Pennsylvania trip -

Kozlowski’s minutes limited for second straight game in loss versus Fordham -

Late penalty-kick goal not enough vs. Rams -

UMass football nearly upends Tennessee Saturday in 17-13 loss -

A conversation with the Pixies’ Joey Santiago -

Kent State, Central Michigan prevail

The Kent State football team continued its successful season on Saturday after defeating Mid-American Conference opponent, Miami (Ohio), 48-12, in Oxford, Ohio.

The Golden Flashes (9-1, 6-0 MAC) haven’t lost a game since week two, while the RedHawks (4-6, 3-3 MAC) continue their fight to get to a .500 record.

From the start of the game, the Kent State running backs dominated a shaky Miami defense. Dri Archer, Trayion Durham and quarterback Spencer Keith paved the way to a season-high 399 rushing yards to go along with five rushing touchdowns.

Durham contributed one of his two touchdowns in the first quarter on a 10-yard dash to give the Golden Flashes a 7-0 lead. Following that score, Archer scored his two touchdown runs in the first quarter, as well, coming from 35 and 43 yards out, respectively, to expand the lead to 21-0.

After another Durham touchdown, the RedHawks finally responded with a Zac Dysert 14-yard touchdown pass to Nick Harwell, slightly narrowing the lead at 28-7.  Less than two minutes later however, Keith found the end zone on the ground on a 28-yard run, giving Kent State a comfortable 35-7 advantage.

Miami picked things up in the second half, outscoring the Flashes 22-13. Dysert led the charge as he threw three touchdowns, totaling 455 yards on the day, but it didn’t prove to be enough.

The Golden Flashes try to make it nine wins in a row on Saturday when they travel to Bowling Green. Meanwhile, the RedHawks travel to Central Michigan on Saturday.

Central Michigan edges Eastern Michigan

Despite an Eastern Michigan offensive effort that outscored Central Michigan in touchdowns and gained more total yards, the Eagles (1-9, 0-6 MAC) fell to the Chippewas (4-6, 2-4 MAC), 34-31.

Eastern Michigan scored four offensive touchdowns compared to Central Michigan’s three and gained more yards, 414-403, but an interception return for a touchdown proved to be the difference and two field goals proved to be the difference for the Chippewas.

Alex Gillett hit Jay Jones on a 25-yard strike with 1:37 left to cut the Chippewas’ lead to three, but it proved to be too little too late.

After leading 14-10 going into the second half, Eastern Michigan had no answer for the Central Michigan offense, as well as defense.

At first, the game looked to belong to the Eagles once Gillett found the end zone for the second time in the game on a 53-yard touchdown run to take a 21-10 lead early in the third quarter. But the Chippewas battled back, scoring three touchdowns in the third quarter to build a 31-21 advantage.

Central Michigan looks to continue its success next Saturday against Miami (Ohio), as Eastern Michigan tries to bounce back next Saturday as well, facing another inter-state opponent, Western Michigan.

Tom Mulherin can be reached at tmulheri@student.umass.edu.