Earth Day Yogathon to promote breast cancer awareness and prevention -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

UMass baseball’s winning streak ends in lost weekend in Saint Louis -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Spring Concert a huge success -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Hillary Clinton is representing an ‘exhausted volcano’ -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

UMass baseball set for UConn, Beanpot title vs. BC -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

UMass tennis falls in heartbreaking fashion to VCU in A-10 finals -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

UMass track and field sees strong showing at Holy Cross Invitational -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Police respond to large pig complaint over weekend -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

UMass hosts 34th annual Native American Powwow -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Fun, local ways to stay active and in shape this semester -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: April 20, 2015 -

Monday, April 20, 2015

Reports: UMass adds forward Antwan Space -

Monday, April 20, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse takes control in first half, hangs on against La Salle in Sunday win -

Sunday, April 19, 2015

UMass softball sweeps St. Bonaventure behind strong pitching from Caroline Raymond -

Sunday, April 19, 2015

UMass lacrosse proves triumphant in return to Garber Field -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse improves playoff chances with victory over Drexel -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

UMass notebook: Kitching shines, West Springfield’s Dan Jonah catches touchdown -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

A.J. Doyle looks forward to contributing in a tight end role -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Three up three down: Quarterback, defensive line play in focus for UMass -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Mark Whipple: UMass football’s spring game a successful night -

Friday, April 17, 2015

Kent State, Central Michigan prevail

The Kent State football team continued its successful season on Saturday after defeating Mid-American Conference opponent, Miami (Ohio), 48-12, in Oxford, Ohio.

The Golden Flashes (9-1, 6-0 MAC) haven’t lost a game since week two, while the RedHawks (4-6, 3-3 MAC) continue their fight to get to a .500 record.

From the start of the game, the Kent State running backs dominated a shaky Miami defense. Dri Archer, Trayion Durham and quarterback Spencer Keith paved the way to a season-high 399 rushing yards to go along with five rushing touchdowns.

Durham contributed one of his two touchdowns in the first quarter on a 10-yard dash to give the Golden Flashes a 7-0 lead. Following that score, Archer scored his two touchdown runs in the first quarter, as well, coming from 35 and 43 yards out, respectively, to expand the lead to 21-0.

After another Durham touchdown, the RedHawks finally responded with a Zac Dysert 14-yard touchdown pass to Nick Harwell, slightly narrowing the lead at 28-7.  Less than two minutes later however, Keith found the end zone on the ground on a 28-yard run, giving Kent State a comfortable 35-7 advantage.

Miami picked things up in the second half, outscoring the Flashes 22-13. Dysert led the charge as he threw three touchdowns, totaling 455 yards on the day, but it didn’t prove to be enough.

The Golden Flashes try to make it nine wins in a row on Saturday when they travel to Bowling Green. Meanwhile, the RedHawks travel to Central Michigan on Saturday.

Central Michigan edges Eastern Michigan

Despite an Eastern Michigan offensive effort that outscored Central Michigan in touchdowns and gained more total yards, the Eagles (1-9, 0-6 MAC) fell to the Chippewas (4-6, 2-4 MAC), 34-31.

Eastern Michigan scored four offensive touchdowns compared to Central Michigan’s three and gained more yards, 414-403, but an interception return for a touchdown proved to be the difference and two field goals proved to be the difference for the Chippewas.

Alex Gillett hit Jay Jones on a 25-yard strike with 1:37 left to cut the Chippewas’ lead to three, but it proved to be too little too late.

After leading 14-10 going into the second half, Eastern Michigan had no answer for the Central Michigan offense, as well as defense.

At first, the game looked to belong to the Eagles once Gillett found the end zone for the second time in the game on a 53-yard touchdown run to take a 21-10 lead early in the third quarter. But the Chippewas battled back, scoring three touchdowns in the third quarter to build a 31-21 advantage.

Central Michigan looks to continue its success next Saturday against Miami (Ohio), as Eastern Michigan tries to bounce back next Saturday as well, facing another inter-state opponent, Western Michigan.

Tom Mulherin can be reached at tmulheri@student.umass.edu.