Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

Quiet beauty roars in ‘Lion’ -

‘Hidden Figures’ is warm and brilliantly inspirational -

Top 10 of 2012: Albums

The end of every year means one thing: LISTS. Everyone is listing their favorite movies, TV shows, books, albums, etc. So I figured why not do the same? Every week until the end of 2012 I’ll be bring you my top 10 in a different category. Who knows, you might find something new to love! This week I’m counting down my top 10 albums of the year.

10. Gossamer – Passion Pit: Electronic and synthesized music with actual substance. Compelling lyrics and beats that just make you want to dance – what more can you ask for?

Highlights: Take a Walk, Hideaway

9. Based On A T.R.U Story – 2 Chainz: 2 Chainz is my biggest guilty pleasure, I am so completely obsessed with his absurdity. This is just a super fun rap album with some of the funniest rap lines in years (I’m in the kitchen, hams everywhere!).

Highlights: Dope Peddler, Yuck!

8. Neck of the Woods – Silversun Pickups: Haunting indie rock with some of the most unique vocals on the scene right now courtesy of Brian Aubert. Their sound isn’t typical in any way, which may make it harder to get into, but I promise it’s worth a try.

Highlights: Here We Are, Bloody Mary.

7. Walk the Moon – Walk the Moon: Some of the absolute catchiest music released all year. It’s the type of album you throw on in the car and just drive around blasting it and singing along. I’m sure most people have heard their single “Anna Sun” on the radio and if you like that you will love this album.

Highlights: Jenny, Tightrope

6. Handwritten – The Gaslight Anthem: Truly great rock music in the vein of Bruce Springsteen and Frank Turner. Brian Fallon’s strong vocals and the bands superior lyrics create a combination of old school rock music with a new-wave kick.

Highlights: “45”, Mulholland Drive

5. Some Nights – fun.: Nate Ruess (ex-The Format) is a genius and I couldn’t be happier that he’s finally getting the love he deserves from a mainstream audience. Combining one of the most versatile vocalists of our time with catchy as hell beats has created an album I haven’t stopped spinning since it was released.

Highlights: Why Am I the One, Stars

4. Blunderbuss – Jack White: Do I even need to explain why a Jack White album would be great?

Highlights: Love Interruption, Sixteen Saltines

3. Born to Die – Lana Del Rey: I might get some flak for this, but I’m a total sucker for Lana’s old school style. Ignore her horrific SNL performance; her album is actually pretty great.

Highlights: Summertime Sadness, Off to the Races

2. Speak in Code – Eve 6: This is the band’s first release since 2004 and it proved they still got it. The band best known for “Here’s to the Night” a.k.a the song played in all ‘90’s movies about high school is so much more than just that song. This is perfect pop-punk to jam out to.

Highlights: Victoria, Curtain

1. Halcyon – Ellie Goulding: “Lights” and “Starry Eyed” were in my freshman year of college party mix so needless to say I’ve been waiting for new Ellie music for quite a while and she did not disappoint. If possible her sophomore effort is even catchier than her debut and so much more polished. Just check it out, seriously.

Highlights: Only You, Halcyon

Alexa Hoyle can be reached at ahoyle@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Top 10 of 2012: Albums”
  1. UMatt says:

Springsteen’s Wrecking Ball #1 hands down. Gaslight is great too.