UMass men’s basketball drops first game of season to Creighton in MGM Grand Main Event finals -

UMass football prepares for final regular season game against Buffalo Friday -

UMass men’s basketball continues hot shooting in rout of Clemson Monday night -

SGA votes down letter opposing Baker’s statements on refugees -

IPO reaches out to local families to host international students for Thanksgiving -

Amherst Police Log: Nov. 20-22 -

Local Pioneer Valley food banks aim to fight hunger -

UMass club sports present petition alleging lack of resources, communication from athletic department -

UMass women’s basketball looks to get back on track in Omni Hotels Classic -

An inside look at the UMass club baseball team -

UMass men’s swimming proves victorious in Terrier Invitational, Minutewomen finish fourth -

The benefits of meditation -

In wake of Paris attacks, US should not ditch compassion -

Letter to the editor: Students for Justice in Palestine respond to a previous op-ed -

Student makes UMass history as first to perform mainstage production in wheelchair -

Graduate Employee Organization and UMass administrators meet to talk about late pay issues -

UMass Dining encourages different programs to prevent hunger in Amherst -

FBI agents explain cyber security at UMass talk -

Students present demands and tap administrators for answers, additional information at ‘answering session’ -

UMass Dining works to reduce amount of food waste created with weight measurement -

Top 10 of 2012: Albums

The end of every year means one thing: LISTS. Everyone is listing their favorite movies, TV shows, books, albums, etc. So I figured why not do the same? Every week until the end of 2012 I’ll be bring you my top 10 in a different category. Who knows, you might find something new to love! This week I’m counting down my top 10 albums of the year.

10. Gossamer – Passion Pit: Electronic and synthesized music with actual substance. Compelling lyrics and beats that just make you want to dance – what more can you ask for?

Highlights: Take a Walk, Hideaway

9. Based On A T.R.U Story – 2 Chainz: 2 Chainz is my biggest guilty pleasure, I am so completely obsessed with his absurdity. This is just a super fun rap album with some of the funniest rap lines in years (I’m in the kitchen, hams everywhere!).

Highlights: Dope Peddler, Yuck!

8. Neck of the Woods – Silversun Pickups: Haunting indie rock with some of the most unique vocals on the scene right now courtesy of Brian Aubert. Their sound isn’t typical in any way, which may make it harder to get into, but I promise it’s worth a try.

Highlights: Here We Are, Bloody Mary.

7. Walk the Moon – Walk the Moon: Some of the absolute catchiest music released all year. It’s the type of album you throw on in the car and just drive around blasting it and singing along. I’m sure most people have heard their single “Anna Sun” on the radio and if you like that you will love this album.

Highlights: Jenny, Tightrope

6. Handwritten – The Gaslight Anthem: Truly great rock music in the vein of Bruce Springsteen and Frank Turner. Brian Fallon’s strong vocals and the bands superior lyrics create a combination of old school rock music with a new-wave kick.

Highlights: “45”, Mulholland Drive

5. Some Nights – fun.: Nate Ruess (ex-The Format) is a genius and I couldn’t be happier that he’s finally getting the love he deserves from a mainstream audience. Combining one of the most versatile vocalists of our time with catchy as hell beats has created an album I haven’t stopped spinning since it was released.

Highlights: Why Am I the One, Stars

4. Blunderbuss – Jack White: Do I even need to explain why a Jack White album would be great?

Highlights: Love Interruption, Sixteen Saltines

3. Born to Die – Lana Del Rey: I might get some flak for this, but I’m a total sucker for Lana’s old school style. Ignore her horrific SNL performance; her album is actually pretty great.

Highlights: Summertime Sadness, Off to the Races

2. Speak in Code – Eve 6: This is the band’s first release since 2004 and it proved they still got it. The band best known for “Here’s to the Night” a.k.a the song played in all ‘90’s movies about high school is so much more than just that song. This is perfect pop-punk to jam out to.

Highlights: Victoria, Curtain

1. Halcyon – Ellie Goulding: “Lights” and “Starry Eyed” were in my freshman year of college party mix so needless to say I’ve been waiting for new Ellie music for quite a while and she did not disappoint. If possible her sophomore effort is even catchier than her debut and so much more polished. Just check it out, seriously.

Highlights: Only You, Halcyon

Alexa Hoyle can be reached at

One Response to “Top 10 of 2012: Albums”
  1. UMatt says:

Springsteen’s Wrecking Ball #1 hands down. Gaslight is great too.