UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Top 10 of 2012: Albums

The end of every year means one thing: LISTS. Everyone is listing their favorite movies, TV shows, books, albums, etc. So I figured why not do the same? Every week until the end of 2012 I’ll be bring you my top 10 in a different category. Who knows, you might find something new to love! This week I’m counting down my top 10 albums of the year.

10. Gossamer – Passion Pit: Electronic and synthesized music with actual substance. Compelling lyrics and beats that just make you want to dance – what more can you ask for?

Highlights: Take a Walk, Hideaway

9. Based On A T.R.U Story – 2 Chainz: 2 Chainz is my biggest guilty pleasure, I am so completely obsessed with his absurdity. This is just a super fun rap album with some of the funniest rap lines in years (I’m in the kitchen, hams everywhere!).

Highlights: Dope Peddler, Yuck!

8. Neck of the Woods – Silversun Pickups: Haunting indie rock with some of the most unique vocals on the scene right now courtesy of Brian Aubert. Their sound isn’t typical in any way, which may make it harder to get into, but I promise it’s worth a try.

Highlights: Here We Are, Bloody Mary.

7. Walk the Moon – Walk the Moon: Some of the absolute catchiest music released all year. It’s the type of album you throw on in the car and just drive around blasting it and singing along. I’m sure most people have heard their single “Anna Sun” on the radio and if you like that you will love this album.

Highlights: Jenny, Tightrope

6. Handwritten – The Gaslight Anthem: Truly great rock music in the vein of Bruce Springsteen and Frank Turner. Brian Fallon’s strong vocals and the bands superior lyrics create a combination of old school rock music with a new-wave kick.

Highlights: “45”, Mulholland Drive

5. Some Nights – fun.: Nate Ruess (ex-The Format) is a genius and I couldn’t be happier that he’s finally getting the love he deserves from a mainstream audience. Combining one of the most versatile vocalists of our time with catchy as hell beats has created an album I haven’t stopped spinning since it was released.

Highlights: Why Am I the One, Stars

4. Blunderbuss – Jack White: Do I even need to explain why a Jack White album would be great?

Highlights: Love Interruption, Sixteen Saltines

3. Born to Die – Lana Del Rey: I might get some flak for this, but I’m a total sucker for Lana’s old school style. Ignore her horrific SNL performance; her album is actually pretty great.

Highlights: Summertime Sadness, Off to the Races

2. Speak in Code – Eve 6: This is the band’s first release since 2004 and it proved they still got it. The band best known for “Here’s to the Night” a.k.a the song played in all ‘90’s movies about high school is so much more than just that song. This is perfect pop-punk to jam out to.

Highlights: Victoria, Curtain

1. Halcyon – Ellie Goulding: “Lights” and “Starry Eyed” were in my freshman year of college party mix so needless to say I’ve been waiting for new Ellie music for quite a while and she did not disappoint. If possible her sophomore effort is even catchier than her debut and so much more polished. Just check it out, seriously.

Highlights: Only You, Halcyon

Alexa Hoyle can be reached at ahoyle@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Top 10 of 2012: Albums”
  1. UMatt says:

Springsteen’s Wrecking Ball #1 hands down. Gaslight is great too.