UMass field hockey pulls off thrilling overtime victory against Northeastern -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Kicking competition between Blake Lucas, Mike Caggiano nearing decision -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

Top 10 of 2012: Albums

The end of every year means one thing: LISTS. Everyone is listing their favorite movies, TV shows, books, albums, etc. So I figured why not do the same? Every week until the end of 2012 I’ll be bring you my top 10 in a different category. Who knows, you might find something new to love! This week I’m counting down my top 10 albums of the year.

10. Gossamer – Passion Pit: Electronic and synthesized music with actual substance. Compelling lyrics and beats that just make you want to dance – what more can you ask for?

Highlights: Take a Walk, Hideaway

9. Based On A T.R.U Story – 2 Chainz: 2 Chainz is my biggest guilty pleasure, I am so completely obsessed with his absurdity. This is just a super fun rap album with some of the funniest rap lines in years (I’m in the kitchen, hams everywhere!).

Highlights: Dope Peddler, Yuck!

8. Neck of the Woods – Silversun Pickups: Haunting indie rock with some of the most unique vocals on the scene right now courtesy of Brian Aubert. Their sound isn’t typical in any way, which may make it harder to get into, but I promise it’s worth a try.

Highlights: Here We Are, Bloody Mary.

7. Walk the Moon – Walk the Moon: Some of the absolute catchiest music released all year. It’s the type of album you throw on in the car and just drive around blasting it and singing along. I’m sure most people have heard their single “Anna Sun” on the radio and if you like that you will love this album.

Highlights: Jenny, Tightrope

6. Handwritten – The Gaslight Anthem: Truly great rock music in the vein of Bruce Springsteen and Frank Turner. Brian Fallon’s strong vocals and the bands superior lyrics create a combination of old school rock music with a new-wave kick.

Highlights: “45”, Mulholland Drive

5. Some Nights – fun.: Nate Ruess (ex-The Format) is a genius and I couldn’t be happier that he’s finally getting the love he deserves from a mainstream audience. Combining one of the most versatile vocalists of our time with catchy as hell beats has created an album I haven’t stopped spinning since it was released.

Highlights: Why Am I the One, Stars

4. Blunderbuss – Jack White: Do I even need to explain why a Jack White album would be great?

Highlights: Love Interruption, Sixteen Saltines

3. Born to Die – Lana Del Rey: I might get some flak for this, but I’m a total sucker for Lana’s old school style. Ignore her horrific SNL performance; her album is actually pretty great.

Highlights: Summertime Sadness, Off to the Races

2. Speak in Code – Eve 6: This is the band’s first release since 2004 and it proved they still got it. The band best known for “Here’s to the Night” a.k.a the song played in all ‘90’s movies about high school is so much more than just that song. This is perfect pop-punk to jam out to.

Highlights: Victoria, Curtain

1. Halcyon – Ellie Goulding: “Lights” and “Starry Eyed” were in my freshman year of college party mix so needless to say I’ve been waiting for new Ellie music for quite a while and she did not disappoint. If possible her sophomore effort is even catchier than her debut and so much more polished. Just check it out, seriously.

Highlights: Only You, Halcyon

Alexa Hoyle can be reached at ahoyle@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Top 10 of 2012: Albums”
  1. UMatt says:

Springsteen’s Wrecking Ball #1 hands down. Gaslight is great too.