Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

DJ walks 26 miles to raise money for food bank

Chris “Monte” Belmonte was stirring up a scene on the sidewalks of Amherst yesterday morning.

Dressed in a blue jumpsuit with a sequined fur trapper hat, it was hard to miss the radio host as he walked down North Pleasant Street at 10 a.m. with a crowd of approximately 30 people following him.

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

Cars slowed down as they drove by, some honking, others pulling over, while a trail of photographers and videographers followed the walkers.

But it wasn’t the outfit or the crowd following him that was attracting all the attention, it was the shopping cart.

A tricked-out version of an average grocery store cart, the shopping cart Belmonte was pushing down the sidewalk featured rugged wheels and a blue flame decal. On the front, a white sign labeled the spectacle, “Monte’s March.”

For the past three years, Belmonte has walked from Northampton to Greenfield — a 26 mile trip — to raise money for the Food Bank of Western Massachusetts. People are invited to raise money to join him for a portion of the walk.

While he walks, Belmonte — a talk show host on Northampton’s 93.9 The River — constantly checks in with the radio station to solicit people to phone in donations or contribute online.

“Hunger doesn’t have a face in the Valley,” he reminded people on air.

This year, Belmonte raised $31,000 for the Food Bank of Western Massachusetts , surpassing his goal to raise $30,000, according to a 7 p.m. broadcast on The River.

Last year, Belmonte had set a goal of raising $20,000 and ended up raising about $30,000 — a number that set the goal for this year.

“You can’t not raise more than you raised the year before,” he said.

Belmonte came up with the idea for the march three years ago, when brainstorming a “ridiculous publicity stunt” with officials at the food bank. During the brainstorming session, one of the food bank employees suggested Belmonte take a shopping cart to every organization in Northampton asking for donations.

Belmonte countered by suggesting that he push a shopping cart from Northampton to Greenfield.

“It was a eureka moment,” he said.

The idea stuck, and Belmonte has done it every year since.

He doesn’t train for the march, besides taking a couple of “long” walks in the weeks leading up to it. Instead, he relies on adrenaline, stating that it is “surprising” how far you can walk when you have a goal.

Different organizations, like the University of Massachusetts Marching Band, joined Monte throughout the march. As he walked through Amherst, HEC Academy and The Hartsbrook School joined him in addition to the UMass Marching Band.

“It’s awesome,” said Ani Coron, a 16-year-old student at Hec Academy, who was wearing a Monte’s March t-shirt he had made.

The Academy raised $1,234.56 by holding a penny drive.
About half an hour ahead of his anticipated schedule, Monte walked through downtown Amherst at about 9:30 a.m on his way to Sunderland.

Belmonte was joined by Andrew Morehouse, the executive director of Food Bank of Western Massachusetts , for the first time this year.

“Monte’s got a good pace,” quipped Morehouse.

Morehouse decided to participate in the walk because it was “the right thing to do.” Working for the food bank, the organization that distributes food to places such as the Amherst Survival Center, Morehouse sees the effects of hunger first hand.

According to Morehouse, about 135,000 people in Western Massachusetts rely on emergency food.

“It’s a sobering stat,” he said. “These are real people.”

For every $1 raised by the march, the food bank will be able to serve three meals, a fact that makes the walk worthwhile to Morehouse.

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

“Even if my feet hurt, it wouldn’t matter,” said Morehouse about 11 miles into the walk. “It’s nothing compared to what families have to go through.”

When the march reached the Amherst Survival Center at 10 a.m., the workers were outside to express their gratitude and offer encouragement to Monte.

“It’s really exciting,” said Shelly Beck, the pantry coordinator. “It’s great to see the community support hunger.”

Katie Landeck can be reached at klandeck@student.umass.edu.