VIDEO: UMass United Ralley in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

Town of Amherst receives a $300,000 grant

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

The Town of Amherst received a $300,000 grant from the Department of Justice’s Office on Violence Against Women last week to expand services to aid survivors of sexual and domestic violence in the community.

The Amherst Police Department, University of Massachusetts Police Department, the University of Massachusetts Center for Women & Community (CWC) and the Northampton Police Department collaborated to obtain the grant and will all take part in the services that it will fund, according to a press release.

“We are really excited about receiving the grant,” CWC Associate Director Rebecca Lockwood said in a telephone interview. “It is a testament to the effectiveness of collaboration.”

The funding will create a new position at the Amherst Police Department for an officer exclusively assigned to sexual and domestic violence cases.  A new civilian advocate will also be hired to work two days a week at the Northampton Police Department.

In addition, the grant will continue to fund University of Massachusetts and Amherst Police Civilian Advocate Ilana Gerjuoy, who has directly aided 200 survivors since the program began in 2010, according to the release.

Training related to the mental health of sexual and domestic violence survivors will be increased for police officers in Amherst and Northampton.  The grant also funds the collaboration with the countywide Sexual Assault Response Team, SART, which involves police and members of health care and law enforcement agencies, according to the press release.

Since the program began, it has helped train 260 University and community members as well as 200 police officers in survivor aid services.  It also increased training for stalking detection and helping disabled survivors.

Lockwood explained that the grant does not just allow for more services, but it also gives survivors immediate help by providing a person to help them directly in the police station.

So far the program has “helped to build a really respectful relationship between advocates and police … [which is] really good for the survivor,” Lockwood said.

The grant specifically helps UMass students. Lockwood and the CWC work with the dean of students’ office to try to give student survivors help.  The grant also allows for increased ability for legal help.

“The collaborative program with the CWC and the University Police Department has made a positive impact on the Amherst community by filling a void with survivor advocacy,” said Amherst Police Chief Scott Livingstone in the release.  “We are very fortunate to have received additional funding from the US Department of Justice to expand this program with the City of Northampton.   With this funding we hope to have more regional and collaborative approach to impact and reduce the cycle of violence against women,” he said.

Lockwood said that the most important thing about this grant is getting survivors accurate information. Any student wanting more information can talk to the dean’s office, residence life, AMPD, UMPD or call the free CWC hotline at 413-545-0800.

Sam Hayes can be reached sdhayes@student.umass.edu.