Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

UMass gets embarrassed at home by in-state rival UMass Lowell

It was a tough Sunday night at the Mullins Center for the Massachusetts hockey team.

The Minutemen (3-5-1, 2-5-1 Hockey East Association) suffered an 8-2 blowout loss at the hands of UMass Lowell in front of 2,426 fans. Three of those goals came courtesy of a hat trick from River Hawks senior center Riley Wetmore and another two came from junior forward Joseph Pendenza.

Maria Uminski/Collegian

UMass coach John Micheletto was disappointed with the Minutemen’s performance after the game.

“(It was) not a good night for the Minutemen,” Micheletto said. “It’s certainly not indicative of our talent level nor our discipline. We have a much better team than we revealed tonight.”

Starting his first game of the season for UMass was junior goalie Jeff Teglia, who struggled from the get go.

Teglia played 16 minutes, 26 seconds before being pulled in favor of sophomore goalie Steve Mastalerz. Teglia finished with five saves and three goals allowed.

UMass Lowell (3-5-1, 2-4-1 HEA) got on the board first when Dmitry Sinitsyn put one past Teglia 8:16  into the game. Sinitsyn’s goal initially hit Teglia’s pad and then rolled past him.

Just over two minutes later, the River Hawks struck again, this time on a 4-on-4 goal from Wetmore off a Scott Wilson pass at the 10:42 mark.

Pendenza scored UMass Lowell’s third goal of the night on a power-play goal at the 16:26 mark of the first period.

UMass Lowell picked up right where it left off in the second period with three goals in a span of 1:24. Wetmore scored two of the goals, with the first coming at the 7:07 mark and the second at 8:31. Wilson scored the other goal at the 8:00 mark.

The Minutemen broke through for its first goal of the game 14:46 into the second period on a score from junior forward Michael Pereira. The goal, Pereira’s second of the season, came on a power play and temporarily cut the deficit to 6-1.

But the River Hawks struck back when Pendenza scored a short-handed goal at the 17:19 mark, which extended the lead back to six.

And for good measure, Holmstrom scored UMass Lowell’s eighth goal of the night 5:20 into the third period.

Senior captain Rocco Carzo added a late 5-on-3 power-play goal for UMass at the 10:12 mark withredshirt sophomore forward Steven Guzzo credited with the assist.

In Teglia’s place, Mastalerz made 10 saves and allowed five goals. River Hawks goalie Doug Carr made 24 saves.

UMass earns a 2-2 draw

UMass clawed its way back from a two-goal deficit Friday night in front of 4,231 fans at Alfond Arena, to earn a 2-2 draw with Maine (2-9-1, 1-5-1 HEA).

Conor Allen tied the game up for the Minutemen with only 1:08 left in regulation.Carzo and junior forward Sheary were each credited with an assist on the goal.

UMass’ first goal came courtesy of Guzzo on a power play at the 14:54 mark in the second period.

The Black Bears built their initial 2-0 lead in the first period with a pair of goals.

Mark Nemec scored the first goal at the 7:39 mark off a Devin Shore assist. Jake Rutt scored Maine’s second goal on a power play at the 9:21 mark.

Minutemen junior goalie Kevin Boyle made 27 saves in 64:57 minutes of ice time.

His counterpart in goal, Martin Ouellette, made 30 saves.

Next on the schedule for UMass is a home date with Vermont at 7 p.m. on Tuesday.

“Fortunately we have a game on Tuesday so that we can move forward as quickly as possible off of this one,” Micheletto said.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_McDonough.

You must be logged in to post a comment.