UMass cross country teams ready for beginning of championship season Saturday -

Saturday, October 10, 2015

UMass women’s soccer falls to George Mason in overtime Thursday -

Friday, October 9, 2015

Kathy Forde’s Cole Lecture focuses on the role of journalism in racial justice -

Friday, October 9, 2015

UMPD reportedly requests assistance from DA concerning reported rape -

Friday, October 9, 2015

Mark Morris’ hat trick leads UMass men’s soccer to Wednesday victory -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

UMass men’s soccer stuns URI behind rebound off late penalty kick Wednesday -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

UMass loads up for shootout versus Bowling Green -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Former Middle Eastern foes advocate for peace -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Discussion of Tibet’s future to be held Tuesday night -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Student leader profile: National Society of Collegiate Scholars President Mike Franco -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Why you should be optimistic about UMass hockey this season -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

UMass looks to be more competitive in Hockey East behind youth -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Inexperience highlights questions surrounding UMass hockey entering 2015 -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Steven Iacobellis ready to assume captain role for UMass hockey -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

John Micheletto ready for a pivotal fourth season at the helm of UMass hockey -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Dynamic freshmen duo joins UMass defense with high expectations -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

It’s not what you know; it’s what you can pretend to know -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Perfect images: Online versions of ourselves can’t give true confidence -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Arguments of immigration hawks not based on pragmatism -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Stockbridge lecturer offers a permaculture perspective with ‘Inhabit’ screening -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

UMass gets embarrassed at home by in-state rival UMass Lowell

It was a tough Sunday night at the Mullins Center for the Massachusetts hockey team.

The Minutemen (3-5-1, 2-5-1 Hockey East Association) suffered an 8-2 blowout loss at the hands of UMass Lowell in front of 2,426 fans. Three of those goals came courtesy of a hat trick from River Hawks senior center Riley Wetmore and another two came from junior forward Joseph Pendenza.

Maria Uminski/Collegian

UMass coach John Micheletto was disappointed with the Minutemen’s performance after the game.

“(It was) not a good night for the Minutemen,” Micheletto said. “It’s certainly not indicative of our talent level nor our discipline. We have a much better team than we revealed tonight.”

Starting his first game of the season for UMass was junior goalie Jeff Teglia, who struggled from the get go.

Teglia played 16 minutes, 26 seconds before being pulled in favor of sophomore goalie Steve Mastalerz. Teglia finished with five saves and three goals allowed.

UMass Lowell (3-5-1, 2-4-1 HEA) got on the board first when Dmitry Sinitsyn put one past Teglia 8:16  into the game. Sinitsyn’s goal initially hit Teglia’s pad and then rolled past him.

Just over two minutes later, the River Hawks struck again, this time on a 4-on-4 goal from Wetmore off a Scott Wilson pass at the 10:42 mark.

Pendenza scored UMass Lowell’s third goal of the night on a power-play goal at the 16:26 mark of the first period.

UMass Lowell picked up right where it left off in the second period with three goals in a span of 1:24. Wetmore scored two of the goals, with the first coming at the 7:07 mark and the second at 8:31. Wilson scored the other goal at the 8:00 mark.

The Minutemen broke through for its first goal of the game 14:46 into the second period on a score from junior forward Michael Pereira. The goal, Pereira’s second of the season, came on a power play and temporarily cut the deficit to 6-1.

But the River Hawks struck back when Pendenza scored a short-handed goal at the 17:19 mark, which extended the lead back to six.

And for good measure, Holmstrom scored UMass Lowell’s eighth goal of the night 5:20 into the third period.

Senior captain Rocco Carzo added a late 5-on-3 power-play goal for UMass at the 10:12 mark withredshirt sophomore forward Steven Guzzo credited with the assist.

In Teglia’s place, Mastalerz made 10 saves and allowed five goals. River Hawks goalie Doug Carr made 24 saves.

UMass earns a 2-2 draw

UMass clawed its way back from a two-goal deficit Friday night in front of 4,231 fans at Alfond Arena, to earn a 2-2 draw with Maine (2-9-1, 1-5-1 HEA).

Conor Allen tied the game up for the Minutemen with only 1:08 left in regulation.Carzo and junior forward Sheary were each credited with an assist on the goal.

UMass’ first goal came courtesy of Guzzo on a power play at the 14:54 mark in the second period.

The Black Bears built their initial 2-0 lead in the first period with a pair of goals.

Mark Nemec scored the first goal at the 7:39 mark off a Devin Shore assist. Jake Rutt scored Maine’s second goal on a power play at the 9:21 mark.

Minutemen junior goalie Kevin Boyle made 27 saves in 64:57 minutes of ice time.

His counterpart in goal, Martin Ouellette, made 30 saves.

Next on the schedule for UMass is a home date with Vermont at 7 p.m. on Tuesday.

“Fortunately we have a game on Tuesday so that we can move forward as quickly as possible off of this one,” Micheletto said.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at and followed on Twitter @MDC_McDonough.