U.S. schools react to protect students as the trend of mass shootings at colleges continues -

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

UMass fails to pay an estimated 400 graduate students on first payday -

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

UMass women’s rowing repeats success of opening weekend in back-to-back meets -

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Men’s and women’s swim and dive teams dominate Colgate Fall Classic -

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Mark Morris provides instant impact in return to UMass lineup -

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Week six sees fireworks of offense for MAC football -

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Men’s XC earns top five finish at New England Championships -

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

UMass selected to host largest student entrepreneur competition, with a million dollar prize -

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The many ice cream flavors of Flayvors -

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

No legitimacy in pop music -

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Guns are here to stay -

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Harp, a North Amherst landmark, blends change with tradition -

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

REPORT: UMass football expected to announce scheduling agreements with BC, UConn, FIU -

Monday, October 12, 2015

UMass field hockey loses third consecutive game Sunday in Pennsylvania -

Sunday, October 11, 2015

UMass women’s soccer’s road struggles continue in loss to George Washington -

Sunday, October 11, 2015

UMass men’s soccer fights to scoreless tie against Saint Louis Saturday -

Sunday, October 11, 2015

UMass football overpowered in MAC opener against Bowling Green -

Saturday, October 10, 2015

UMass football fails to answer challenge in shootout loss against defending MAC East champion Bowling Green -

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Zachary Simeone placed under house arrest after allegedly threatening ex-girlfriend, UMass campus -

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Austin Plevy’s hat trick leads UMass hockey to season-opening win over Colorado College -

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Blue Wall to have Thanksgiving buffet for students who stay on campus

Justin Surgent/Collegian

The Vietnamese Pho Noodle Bowls, Banh Mi and Thai Curries will be put away at the University of Massachusetts’ Blue Wall Café on Thursday, as the Ginger Star Asian Grill’s counter space will transform into a Thanksgiving buffet for students who cannot make it home for the break to dine with their families.

Retail Dining Manager for UMass Dining Van Sullivan said that the idea to have Thanksgiving dinner at Blue Wall this year started as a way to feed the UMass Marching Band, which is planning to stay on campus in preparation for the Friday’s football game against Central Michigan University at Gillette Stadium.

The idea soon spawned to include other groups on campus such as international students, service workers and those who will stay on campus over Thanksgiving break, Sullivan said.

“These students who don’t go home, they need a place to eat,” Sullivan said.

The decision to host a Thanksgiving dinner was made over the weekend, said Sullivan, who credits Director of Auxiliary Services Ken Toong with the idea for the meal.

While the Blue Wall has the facilities to prepare a Thanksgiving meal, UMass catering, which is located on the eighth floor of the campus center, will be cooking the meal.

The buffet will include locally grown sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, pilgrim sandwiches and turkey, Sullivan said.

But it won’t be just any turkey.

“It is going to be badass turkey,” Sullivan said.

The turkey will have sage stuffing, roasted sweet potatoes and roasted root vegetables, he said.

Vegetarians won’t miss out, Sullivan said, as there will also be pumpkin ravioli with sage.

This will be the first time the Blue Wall serves a Thanksgiving meal, Sullivan said. Last year, Auxiliary Services decided to open French Meadows for the holiday.

It was a little surprise when 35 hungry people showed up.

“We just kind of stuck food out,” Sullivan said.

Encouraged by that success, Toong and Sullivan decided to up the ante this year and expand the meal.

Sullivan said that other factors went into the decision, including a shift in how he thinks about the Campus Center. After last year’s October snowstorm, he realized how integral to the community the Campus Center is and why it is a good fit for Thanksgiving.

“Everybody was here so we really had this sort of homey feeling about this building that we learned about this year,” he said.

Banners will be posted in the Dining Commons today, informing people about the event, and flyers will be posted around the University.

The meal will be available for a meal or YCMP swipe. It will cost $9.50 for those without a meal plan.

Sullivan, along with Toong, will be at the Thanksgiving festivities for at least part of the day.

While Sullivan said he doesn’t think his family is “all that pleased” with the turn of events, he believes the turkey will be better at the Blue Wall.

“I come from a long standing New England family that cooks turkey for a long time and tends to make old fashioned food,” he said. “I think the food will probably be better here.”

Katie Landeck can be reached at Sam Hayes can be reached at