Front to Back: Week of Oct. 27, 2014 -

Friday, October 31, 2014

Blog Post: What the FAC -

Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Blue Wall to have Thanksgiving buffet for students who stay on campus

Justin Surgent/Collegian

The Vietnamese Pho Noodle Bowls, Banh Mi and Thai Curries will be put away at the University of Massachusetts’ Blue Wall Café on Thursday, as the Ginger Star Asian Grill’s counter space will transform into a Thanksgiving buffet for students who cannot make it home for the break to dine with their families.

Retail Dining Manager for UMass Dining Van Sullivan said that the idea to have Thanksgiving dinner at Blue Wall this year started as a way to feed the UMass Marching Band, which is planning to stay on campus in preparation for the Friday’s football game against Central Michigan University at Gillette Stadium.

The idea soon spawned to include other groups on campus such as international students, service workers and those who will stay on campus over Thanksgiving break, Sullivan said.

“These students who don’t go home, they need a place to eat,” Sullivan said.

The decision to host a Thanksgiving dinner was made over the weekend, said Sullivan, who credits Director of Auxiliary Services Ken Toong with the idea for the meal.

While the Blue Wall has the facilities to prepare a Thanksgiving meal, UMass catering, which is located on the eighth floor of the campus center, will be cooking the meal.

The buffet will include locally grown sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, pilgrim sandwiches and turkey, Sullivan said.

But it won’t be just any turkey.

“It is going to be badass turkey,” Sullivan said.

The turkey will have sage stuffing, roasted sweet potatoes and roasted root vegetables, he said.

Vegetarians won’t miss out, Sullivan said, as there will also be pumpkin ravioli with sage.

This will be the first time the Blue Wall serves a Thanksgiving meal, Sullivan said. Last year, Auxiliary Services decided to open French Meadows for the holiday.

It was a little surprise when 35 hungry people showed up.

“We just kind of stuck food out,” Sullivan said.

Encouraged by that success, Toong and Sullivan decided to up the ante this year and expand the meal.

Sullivan said that other factors went into the decision, including a shift in how he thinks about the Campus Center. After last year’s October snowstorm, he realized how integral to the community the Campus Center is and why it is a good fit for Thanksgiving.

“Everybody was here so we really had this sort of homey feeling about this building that we learned about this year,” he said.

Banners will be posted in the Dining Commons today, informing people about the event, and flyers will be posted around the University.

The meal will be available for a meal or YCMP swipe. It will cost $9.50 for those without a meal plan.

Sullivan, along with Toong, will be at the Thanksgiving festivities for at least part of the day.

While Sullivan said he doesn’t think his family is “all that pleased” with the turn of events, he believes the turkey will be better at the Blue Wall.

“I come from a long standing New England family that cooks turkey for a long time and tends to make old fashioned food,” he said. “I think the food will probably be better here.”

Katie Landeck can be reached at klandeck@umass.edu. Sam Hayes can be reached at sdhayes@student.edu.