Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Miguel Rojas’ hat trick powers men’s club hockey past Springfield

Freshman forward Miguel Rojas led the offensive attack for the Massachusetts men’s club hockey team in a 7-1 road victory over Springfield on Sunday.

A heavy dose of underclassmen scoring led the Minutemen (7-5-1) past the Pride (3-2-1) with freshmen Rojas, Ryan Daigle and Craig Wargo  all scoring goals in the victory. Also scoring for UMass were senior forwards Marc Marin and Dan Cusano, who netted a goal apiece.

The win was the second in a row for UMass, which defeated Central Connecticut, 2-0, on Nov. 9.

“These past two games have been some of our most solid of the season,” UMass coach Steve Mackay said. “We put in a very good week of practice and the results showed up on the ice.  We played for a full 60 minutes, as opposed to some 40 minute efforts that cost us games earlier in the season.”

While the offense may have stolen the show in Sunday’s victory, a strong defensive effort from the Minutemen helped contain the explosive Pride attack, which scored 13 goals in a game earlier in the season.

Mackay praised his team’s defensive effort in the win.

“Our defenders played very well, but I was very pleased with our defense and our physical presence as a team,” Mackay said. “We were able to keep a good team off of the board for almost all of the game.  Our defense created a few key turnovers that put us in a good position on the offensive end as well.”

Freshman goalkeeper Joe Iadarola made his first start of the season and recorded his first career victory. The freshman net-minder played strongly for all 60 minutes, only allowing one puck by him late in the contest.

“Joe played a great game,” Mackay said. “He stood on his head and showed poise the whole game. We called on him and he was ready.”

Following the victory, the team is off for almost two weeks before facing rival UMass Lowell at the Mullins Center on Nov. 30.  Mackay said the team will use the extra time to work out some kinks at practice and as an opportunity to heal injured players.

Mackay said he wants to make sure his team is 100 percent healthy heading into  important upcoming matchups.

“We play UMass Lowell and the University of Vermont on back to back nights and those are always close, hard fought, gritty and physical rivalry games,” he said. “We want to make sure we have all hands on deck for those nights.”

Cody Prudhomme can be reached at cprudhom@student.umass.edu.