UMass hockey drops 4-1 decision against No. 3 Quinnipiac Friday night -

UMass women’s basketball routed by Colorado 90-63 Friday night -

UMass football closes book on 2015 season with win over Buffalo -

UMass hockey to face off against No. 3 Quinnipiac this weekend -

UMass men’s basketball drops first game of season to Creighton in MGM Grand Main Event finals -

UMass football prepares for final regular season game against Buffalo Friday -

UMass men’s basketball continues hot shooting in rout of Clemson Monday night -

SGA votes down letter opposing Baker’s statements on refugees -

IPO reaches out to local families to host international students for Thanksgiving -

Amherst Police Log: Nov. 20-22 -

Local Pioneer Valley food banks aim to fight hunger -

UMass club sports present petition alleging lack of resources, communication from athletic department -

UMass women’s basketball looks to get back on track in Omni Hotels Classic -

An inside look at the UMass club baseball team -

UMass men’s swimming proves victorious in Terrier Invitational, Minutewomen finish fourth -

The benefits of meditation -

Letter to the editor: Students for Justice in Palestine respond to a previous op-ed -

In wake of Paris attacks, US should not ditch compassion -

Student makes UMass history as first to perform mainstage production in wheelchair -

Graduate Employee Organization and UMass administrators meet to talk about late pay issues -

Town of Amherst crime log

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

The Amherst Police responded to about 20 noise complaint calls this past weekend.

A noise complaint for a loud party of between 50 and 60 college-aged individuals at 858 East Pleasant St. at 12:14 a.m. Saturday, in which residents were cooperative, resulted in a verbal warning and the arrest of one guest.

Police said Harrison Reed, 20, of Northborough, was told by officers to leave the residence several times and allegedly refused to cooperate with their requests. Reed was arrested on a charge of failing to disperse.

About 15 minutes later, police responded to another noise complaint for a loud party at an apartment at 219 Amity St. Upon arrival, police observed around 20 guests and loud music playing. Police said the four residents were uncooperative and were then placed under arrest

Thuong Tran,of Brockton; Barbara Line, of Amherst; Sonya Belgacem, of Tyngsboro; and Jessica Jorge, of Oxford; all 21 years old, were arrested on charges of violating the town’s noise bylaw.

At 1:51 a.m., police responded to a noise complaint call for a loud party with loud music and voices at Apartment A at 35 North Whitney St. Police say the residents were uncooperative.

Joseph Gervasi and Joshua Ledin, both 22 years old and from Weymouth, were arrested on the charge of unlawful noise.

Chuong Ly, 25, of Sunderland, was arrested when police responded to a noise complaint call at 4:37 p.m. at Cathedral Apartment 9 at 308 North Pleasant St., in which police say residents were cooperative with officers.

Ly was arrested on the charge of a warrant initiated by another agency – a charge Detective David Foster of the Amherst Police Department said was most likely due to Ly missing a previous court date.

At 11:07 p.m., police responded to a noise complaint call at 202 College St. Upon arrival, police observed between 400 and 500 guests. Detective Jamie Reardon of the Amherst Police Department said traffic was paused briefly as the crowd dispersed.

Residents Colin O’Neil, of East Longmeadow, and Jeffrey Stowell, of North Attleboro,, both 21, were arrested on the charge of unlawful noise and issued a nuisance house violation. Lydia Basque, 17, of Newton, was arrested on the charge of being a minor in possession of alcohol.

Sean McClorey, 22, of Melrose, was arrested around 1 a.m. Sunday at an East Pleasant Street business on the charge of disorderly conduct for allegedly urinating in public.

At 1:42 a.m., Jacob Bell, 23, of Athol, was arrested on the charges of operating a black 2010 Ford Fusion under the influence of liquor as well as a marked lanes violation after he “almost struck an officer conducting a different motor vehicle stop on the same street,” according to Reardon.

Peter Goddard, 21, of Wayland was arrested at 2:56 a.m. at Puffton Village, located at 1040 North Pleasant St., on the charges of disorderly conduct and indecent exposure after “exposing his body to passing motorists, one of which happened to be a police officer,” Reardon said.

For the upcoming weekend, Foster said the department is expecting a relatively quiet one due to the Thanksgiving break.

Foster said it is “not unusual” for there to be an increase in apartment break-ins over the holiday break ,and that students are especially targeted because most go home for the holiday.

The Amherst police department advised that students follow the “STOP” initiative to prevent student burglary over the holiday break, according to a press release.

STOP is an acronym that outlines steps that students should take to deter theft.

The Amherst Police Department advises that students “secure” all doors and windows with locks and close their blinds or window coverings.

Students should “take” all valuable items with them, especially electronics which are a common target. If students do not or cannot take valuables with them, they are advised to keep them “out” of sight, because items in plain view are some of the most commonly stolen.

The final step is police “patrols,” Amherst Police will send out officers in plain clothes to patrol common residence areas for burglary. They also advise students to report any suspicious activity because “if it doesn’t look right, it probably isn’t,” according to the release. .

Chelsie Field can be reached at