Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Town of Amherst crime log

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

The Amherst Police responded to about 20 noise complaint calls this past weekend.

A noise complaint for a loud party of between 50 and 60 college-aged individuals at 858 East Pleasant St. at 12:14 a.m. Saturday, in which residents were cooperative, resulted in a verbal warning and the arrest of one guest.

Police said Harrison Reed, 20, of Northborough, was told by officers to leave the residence several times and allegedly refused to cooperate with their requests. Reed was arrested on a charge of failing to disperse.

About 15 minutes later, police responded to another noise complaint for a loud party at an apartment at 219 Amity St. Upon arrival, police observed around 20 guests and loud music playing. Police said the four residents were uncooperative and were then placed under arrest

Thuong Tran,of Brockton; Barbara Line, of Amherst; Sonya Belgacem, of Tyngsboro; and Jessica Jorge, of Oxford; all 21 years old, were arrested on charges of violating the town’s noise bylaw.

At 1:51 a.m., police responded to a noise complaint call for a loud party with loud music and voices at Apartment A at 35 North Whitney St. Police say the residents were uncooperative.

Joseph Gervasi and Joshua Ledin, both 22 years old and from Weymouth, were arrested on the charge of unlawful noise.

Chuong Ly, 25, of Sunderland, was arrested when police responded to a noise complaint call at 4:37 p.m. at Cathedral Apartment 9 at 308 North Pleasant St., in which police say residents were cooperative with officers.

Ly was arrested on the charge of a warrant initiated by another agency – a charge Detective David Foster of the Amherst Police Department said was most likely due to Ly missing a previous court date.

At 11:07 p.m., police responded to a noise complaint call at 202 College St. Upon arrival, police observed between 400 and 500 guests. Detective Jamie Reardon of the Amherst Police Department said traffic was paused briefly as the crowd dispersed.

Residents Colin O’Neil, of East Longmeadow, and Jeffrey Stowell, of North Attleboro,, both 21, were arrested on the charge of unlawful noise and issued a nuisance house violation. Lydia Basque, 17, of Newton, was arrested on the charge of being a minor in possession of alcohol.

Sean McClorey, 22, of Melrose, was arrested around 1 a.m. Sunday at an East Pleasant Street business on the charge of disorderly conduct for allegedly urinating in public.

At 1:42 a.m., Jacob Bell, 23, of Athol, was arrested on the charges of operating a black 2010 Ford Fusion under the influence of liquor as well as a marked lanes violation after he “almost struck an officer conducting a different motor vehicle stop on the same street,” according to Reardon.

Peter Goddard, 21, of Wayland was arrested at 2:56 a.m. at Puffton Village, located at 1040 North Pleasant St., on the charges of disorderly conduct and indecent exposure after “exposing his body to passing motorists, one of which happened to be a police officer,” Reardon said.

For the upcoming weekend, Foster said the department is expecting a relatively quiet one due to the Thanksgiving break.

Foster said it is “not unusual” for there to be an increase in apartment break-ins over the holiday break ,and that students are especially targeted because most go home for the holiday.

The Amherst police department advised that students follow the “STOP” initiative to prevent student burglary over the holiday break, according to a press release.

STOP is an acronym that outlines steps that students should take to deter theft.

The Amherst Police Department advises that students “secure” all doors and windows with locks and close their blinds or window coverings.

Students should “take” all valuable items with them, especially electronics which are a common target. If students do not or cannot take valuables with them, they are advised to keep them “out” of sight, because items in plain view are some of the most commonly stolen.

The final step is police “patrols,” Amherst Police will send out officers in plain clothes to patrol common residence areas for burglary. They also advise students to report any suspicious activity because “if it doesn’t look right, it probably isn’t,” according to the release. .

Chelsie Field can be reached at cfield@student.umass.edu.