Minutemen search for answers following blowout loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

UMass dominated in 85-65 loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Town of Amherst crime log

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

The Amherst Police responded to about 20 noise complaint calls this past weekend.

A noise complaint for a loud party of between 50 and 60 college-aged individuals at 858 East Pleasant St. at 12:14 a.m. Saturday, in which residents were cooperative, resulted in a verbal warning and the arrest of one guest.

Police said Harrison Reed, 20, of Northborough, was told by officers to leave the residence several times and allegedly refused to cooperate with their requests. Reed was arrested on a charge of failing to disperse.

About 15 minutes later, police responded to another noise complaint for a loud party at an apartment at 219 Amity St. Upon arrival, police observed around 20 guests and loud music playing. Police said the four residents were uncooperative and were then placed under arrest

Thuong Tran,of Brockton; Barbara Line, of Amherst; Sonya Belgacem, of Tyngsboro; and Jessica Jorge, of Oxford; all 21 years old, were arrested on charges of violating the town’s noise bylaw.

At 1:51 a.m., police responded to a noise complaint call for a loud party with loud music and voices at Apartment A at 35 North Whitney St. Police say the residents were uncooperative.

Joseph Gervasi and Joshua Ledin, both 22 years old and from Weymouth, were arrested on the charge of unlawful noise.

Chuong Ly, 25, of Sunderland, was arrested when police responded to a noise complaint call at 4:37 p.m. at Cathedral Apartment 9 at 308 North Pleasant St., in which police say residents were cooperative with officers.

Ly was arrested on the charge of a warrant initiated by another agency – a charge Detective David Foster of the Amherst Police Department said was most likely due to Ly missing a previous court date.

At 11:07 p.m., police responded to a noise complaint call at 202 College St. Upon arrival, police observed between 400 and 500 guests. Detective Jamie Reardon of the Amherst Police Department said traffic was paused briefly as the crowd dispersed.

Residents Colin O’Neil, of East Longmeadow, and Jeffrey Stowell, of North Attleboro,, both 21, were arrested on the charge of unlawful noise and issued a nuisance house violation. Lydia Basque, 17, of Newton, was arrested on the charge of being a minor in possession of alcohol.

Sean McClorey, 22, of Melrose, was arrested around 1 a.m. Sunday at an East Pleasant Street business on the charge of disorderly conduct for allegedly urinating in public.

At 1:42 a.m., Jacob Bell, 23, of Athol, was arrested on the charges of operating a black 2010 Ford Fusion under the influence of liquor as well as a marked lanes violation after he “almost struck an officer conducting a different motor vehicle stop on the same street,” according to Reardon.

Peter Goddard, 21, of Wayland was arrested at 2:56 a.m. at Puffton Village, located at 1040 North Pleasant St., on the charges of disorderly conduct and indecent exposure after “exposing his body to passing motorists, one of which happened to be a police officer,” Reardon said.

For the upcoming weekend, Foster said the department is expecting a relatively quiet one due to the Thanksgiving break.

Foster said it is “not unusual” for there to be an increase in apartment break-ins over the holiday break ,and that students are especially targeted because most go home for the holiday.

The Amherst police department advised that students follow the “STOP” initiative to prevent student burglary over the holiday break, according to a press release.

STOP is an acronym that outlines steps that students should take to deter theft.

The Amherst Police Department advises that students “secure” all doors and windows with locks and close their blinds or window coverings.

Students should “take” all valuable items with them, especially electronics which are a common target. If students do not or cannot take valuables with them, they are advised to keep them “out” of sight, because items in plain view are some of the most commonly stolen.

The final step is police “patrols,” Amherst Police will send out officers in plain clothes to patrol common residence areas for burglary. They also advise students to report any suspicious activity because “if it doesn’t look right, it probably isn’t,” according to the release. .

Chelsie Field can be reached at cfield@student.umass.edu.