UMass student charged in connection with alleged involvement in racist vandalisms -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass student found dead in McNamara Hall -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Protect Our Breasts runs Breast Cancer Awareness campaign -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Underclassmen lead UMass hockey to first victory of the season -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS: A classic revitalized -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Improve the FAC -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students at UMass rally to show support for Hong Kong -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Duolingo makes learning a language easier -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s swimming and diving falls to Army; women’s team gets revenge -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass field hockey gets back to .500 with win over BU Sunday -

Monday, October 20, 2014

‘Columbus Day’ demonstrates ignorant view of the past -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students for Justice in Palestine aims to spread awareness, not argue -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Mending fences: SGA and Amherst officials work together to improve town/gown relations -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer drops 5-0 decision to Saint Louis -

Monday, October 20, 2014

The Phablet continues to grow and maintain popularity -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dayton Flyers soar at Rudd Field, 4-1 over the Minutemen -

Sunday, October 19, 2014

UMass football’s Sharpe continues his banner season in 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Shadrach Abrokwah has career day in UMass football’s 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan. -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

UMass tops Eastern Michigan 36-14, puts together first FBS winning streak -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

A.J. Doyle gets starting nod for UMass football season finale

The first time something like this happened, A.J. Doyle couldn’t hold in his nerves.

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

Four years ago, then a high school freshman at Catholic Memorial, Doyle was getting a ride to school from his father before his first varsity start at quarterback. Suddenly, Doyle asked his father to pull the car over.

“He pulled over and I immediately opened the door and threw up,” Doyle said.

Now, four years later, Doyle will make his first collegiate start as a member of the Massachusetts football team when it takes on Central Michigan on Friday afternoon at Gillette Stadium.

He hopes, this time, he can hold in the butterflies.

“People were asking me the other day when they saw me getting reps with the (first team), ‘Oh you’re going to be the starter, how are you feeling, how are you feeling?’” Doyle said. “I said, ‘Ask me on Friday morning when I’m throwing up.’

“I hope I’m not like that, but there’s always a possibility.”

The choice to start Doyle comes after redshirt freshman Mike Wegzyn started the first 11 games under center. UMass coach Charley Molnar said on Wednesday that a decision was made during the team’s bye week that Wegzyn would start the Akron game and continue to start as long as the Minutemen kept winning.

After UMass beat the Zips, Wegzyn was given another shot. But after the team’s loss to Buffalo last Saturday, Molnar wanted to see what his true freshman signal-caller – who has appeared in seven games this season in strictly mop-up duty when the game was out of reach – could do when given a start.

“It’s not as much of an indictment on Mike as it’s just an indication that A.J.’s performance in practice has improved,” Molnar said. “And he’s a viable candidate to compete for the starting quarterback job at UMass not only for the last week of the season but going forward into the future.”

Standing in Doyle’s and the Minutemen’s (1-10, 1-6 Mid-American Conference) way in Friday’s finale will be a Chippewas (5-6, 3-4 MAC) team that is just one win away from becoming bowl-eligible.

After a four-game losing streak earlier this season dropped CMU to 2-5, bowl aspirations seemed bleak, but since then, the Chippewas have won three out of their last four games, including their last two against Eastern Michigan and most recently Miami (Ohio).

CMU features an explosive and balanced offensive attack led by quarterback Ryan Radcliff and running back Zurlon Tipton. Radcliff has 2,823 passing yards with 19 touchdowns to eight interceptions this season while Tipton enters Friday’s contest with 1,206 rushing yards and 15 touchdowns.

“We have got to be able to stop the run game without committing so many men to stopping the run that we get shredded in the pass game,” Molnar said earlier this week. “That balance on defense is critical for the guys who are responsible for stopping the run and they need to play their gaps. Nobody needs to try to do too much, just do their job as well as they can.”

Friday’s game marks the last for a number of UMass players. Senior day ceremonies will take place prior to the game to honor the seniors, who include, most notably, Darren Thellen, Perry McIntyre, Quinton Sales and Alan Williams, among others.

“It’s an added incentive to send those seniors off with a win,” Doyle said.

Friday’s kickoff is set for 3 p.m.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @steve_hewitt.