Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Hampshire Dining Commons: Two weeks until closing

Cade Belisle/Collegian

The Hampshire Dining Commons will shut down for renovations at the end of the semester and will reopen in mid-August of next year.

According to Ken Toong, the executive director of Auxiliary Enterprises, Hampshire’s current facilities are outdated, energy inefficient and poorly designed.  Parts of the facility, including the conveyor belt used in the dish return area, are so outdated, he noted, that finding parts for repair is becoming difficult.

“With the upcoming honors college (complex) for 1,500 students, we need a new facility to accommodate the influx,” Toong said, referring to the new Commonwealth Honors College Residential Complex, which is slated to open next fall.

Hampshire, which was built in 1965, will be updated to include a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification, which is an “internationally recognized green building program,” according to the program’s website.

As a future LEED-certified building, Hampshire’s renovations must adhere to certain conditions imposed by the U.S Green Building Council, which aims to promote the construction of buildings that are ecologically friendly.

Toong described the new dining commons as a “state-of-the-art dining facility,” but one that “will retain a New England theme.”

The facility will be built with an open view and an oval-shaped layout. According to Toong, Hampshire “will be the first dining common in the nation with this type of design for efficiency.”

Toong also said that a “retail market or bistro” will be installed in the downstairs portion of the facility.

According to Toong, the renovation will cost about $15 million and the workers at Hampshire will be dispersed to other dining facilities to “minimize any inconveniences.”

The news of the impending closure, though, has concerned some students, who worry that the other dining facilities might become overcrowded.

“(Berkshire Dining Commons) is already a mad house and now it’s going to be a zoo,” said sophomore Matt Martel.

But Toong said that UMass Dining will “monitor the dining need of [its] customers during the renovation process” and that a plan has already been created.

The Berkshire Dining Commons, he said, will open each day at 7 a.m. and close at midnight – a move that will allow students access to food at the facility at an earlier time. The Southwest Café, located in the Hampden building, will transition into a “Grab n’ Go” station as well as a buffet during lunch and dinner times, Toong said.

And the “Grab n’ Go” at Berkshire will have extended hours to accommodate students’ needs, he said.

Two food trucks will also be placed outside the Southwest Café during traditional lunch and dinner hours, Toong said.

Mitchell Scuzzarella can be reached at mscuzzar@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Hampshire Dining Commons: Two weeks until closing”
  1. Dr. Ed Cutting says:

The last line is the most relevant — two food trucks will be outside SELLING food to kids who have already paid for food.

Welcome to UMass where students are a fungible resource….