Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Quiet beauty roars in ‘Lion’ -

‘Hidden Figures’ is warm and brilliantly inspirational -

APD reports handful of weekend break-ins

Shaina Mishkin / Collegian

The Thanksgiving break brought no noise complaint calls for the Amherst police department this weekend, but there were a handful of break-ins.

Amherst Police Detective David Foster was not surprised by the burgalaries.

“It happens every year,” he said. “With the house break-ins, I mean, we expected that. Thanksgiving, for whatever reason, is busier than others in terms of the number of break ins, because many people do not secure valuables and electronics when travelling for the holidays,” he said.

Around 8:45 p.m. Friday, police responded to a call for a group of individuals climbing the fence at Cowls Building Supply located at 125 Sunderland Road. The group allegedly took wood pallets from the property. A 27-year-old Amherst man received a summons for breaking and entering in the nighttime.

Christopher Shippa, 29, of Hatfield, was arrested on the charges of violating marked lanes, speeding and a second operating under the influence of alcohol offense after allegedly displaying impairment when operating a black 2010 Nissan Rogue at 739 North Pleasant St. around 1:03 a.m. Saturday.

Aiden Barrett, 18, of Ashfield, was stopped by police around 1:42 a.m. near 562 Montague Road in a grey 1998 Honda Civic and was arrested on the charge of operating under the influence of alcohol.

Police received a call for an assault on the Amherst town common around 4:25 p.m. in which Tracey Loy-Richter, 59, of Northampton, was arrested on charges of larceny from a person, assault and battery as well as attempting to commit a crime after allegedly trying to steal a purse off a woman’s shoulder, according to Foster.

A breaking and entering incident was reported at a Smith St. residence around 5:27 p.m. in which an iPad was reported as stolen. Police noted forced entry through the basement door.

Around 4 p.m. Sunday, a motor vehicle crash was reported at 32 College St. A black 2007 Toyota Prius was allegedly rear ended by a 16-year-old junior operator driving a black 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette. The junior operator had a permit but no licensed passenger in the vehicle and received a summons for unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.

Police received a call for a fight at Kendrick Park around 9:22 p.m. The scene was cleared about 20 minutes later.

A breaking and entering incident was reported at 9:36 p.m. for a Chestnut Street residence in which electronics, including an iPod, speakers and a laptop, were reported as stolen. Police noted forced entry through a window.

Joseph Mason, 25, of Amherst, was arrested in the vicinity of Hagis Mall 12:54 a.m. Monday for allegedly driving a 2000 Cadillac Seville with a suspended license.

Chelsie Field can be reached at cfield@student.umass.edu.