UMass men’s soccer falls to No. 6 Syracuse in season opener -

UMass football boasts young, balanced rushing attack going into 2016 season -

UMass football looks to add more size, depth on defensive side heading into 2016 -

UMass football gets back in action with start of training camp -

UMass football coach Mark Whipple announces Ross Comis as starting quarterback, transfer Andrew Ford close behind -

Amherst PD to encourage registering off-campus parties with implementation of Party Smart Registration program -

UMass Board of Trustees votes 11-2 to raise tuition and fees an average of 5.8 percent -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season -

‘Warcraft’ delivers a likeable mess -

Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

APD reports handful of weekend break-ins

Shaina Mishkin / Collegian

The Thanksgiving break brought no noise complaint calls for the Amherst police department this weekend, but there were a handful of break-ins.

Amherst Police Detective David Foster was not surprised by the burgalaries.

“It happens every year,” he said. “With the house break-ins, I mean, we expected that. Thanksgiving, for whatever reason, is busier than others in terms of the number of break ins, because many people do not secure valuables and electronics when travelling for the holidays,” he said.

Around 8:45 p.m. Friday, police responded to a call for a group of individuals climbing the fence at Cowls Building Supply located at 125 Sunderland Road. The group allegedly took wood pallets from the property. A 27-year-old Amherst man received a summons for breaking and entering in the nighttime.

Christopher Shippa, 29, of Hatfield, was arrested on the charges of violating marked lanes, speeding and a second operating under the influence of alcohol offense after allegedly displaying impairment when operating a black 2010 Nissan Rogue at 739 North Pleasant St. around 1:03 a.m. Saturday.

Aiden Barrett, 18, of Ashfield, was stopped by police around 1:42 a.m. near 562 Montague Road in a grey 1998 Honda Civic and was arrested on the charge of operating under the influence of alcohol.

Police received a call for an assault on the Amherst town common around 4:25 p.m. in which Tracey Loy-Richter, 59, of Northampton, was arrested on charges of larceny from a person, assault and battery as well as attempting to commit a crime after allegedly trying to steal a purse off a woman’s shoulder, according to Foster.

A breaking and entering incident was reported at a Smith St. residence around 5:27 p.m. in which an iPad was reported as stolen. Police noted forced entry through the basement door.

Around 4 p.m. Sunday, a motor vehicle crash was reported at 32 College St. A black 2007 Toyota Prius was allegedly rear ended by a 16-year-old junior operator driving a black 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette. The junior operator had a permit but no licensed passenger in the vehicle and received a summons for unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.

Police received a call for a fight at Kendrick Park around 9:22 p.m. The scene was cleared about 20 minutes later.

A breaking and entering incident was reported at 9:36 p.m. for a Chestnut Street residence in which electronics, including an iPod, speakers and a laptop, were reported as stolen. Police noted forced entry through a window.

Joseph Mason, 25, of Amherst, was arrested in the vicinity of Hagis Mall 12:54 a.m. Monday for allegedly driving a 2000 Cadillac Seville with a suspended license.

Chelsie Field can be reached at cfield@student.umass.edu.