Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

APD reports handful of weekend break-ins

Shaina Mishkin / Collegian

The Thanksgiving break brought no noise complaint calls for the Amherst police department this weekend, but there were a handful of break-ins.

Amherst Police Detective David Foster was not surprised by the burgalaries.

“It happens every year,” he said. “With the house break-ins, I mean, we expected that. Thanksgiving, for whatever reason, is busier than others in terms of the number of break ins, because many people do not secure valuables and electronics when travelling for the holidays,” he said.

Around 8:45 p.m. Friday, police responded to a call for a group of individuals climbing the fence at Cowls Building Supply located at 125 Sunderland Road. The group allegedly took wood pallets from the property. A 27-year-old Amherst man received a summons for breaking and entering in the nighttime.

Christopher Shippa, 29, of Hatfield, was arrested on the charges of violating marked lanes, speeding and a second operating under the influence of alcohol offense after allegedly displaying impairment when operating a black 2010 Nissan Rogue at 739 North Pleasant St. around 1:03 a.m. Saturday.

Aiden Barrett, 18, of Ashfield, was stopped by police around 1:42 a.m. near 562 Montague Road in a grey 1998 Honda Civic and was arrested on the charge of operating under the influence of alcohol.

Police received a call for an assault on the Amherst town common around 4:25 p.m. in which Tracey Loy-Richter, 59, of Northampton, was arrested on charges of larceny from a person, assault and battery as well as attempting to commit a crime after allegedly trying to steal a purse off a woman’s shoulder, according to Foster.

A breaking and entering incident was reported at a Smith St. residence around 5:27 p.m. in which an iPad was reported as stolen. Police noted forced entry through the basement door.

Around 4 p.m. Sunday, a motor vehicle crash was reported at 32 College St. A black 2007 Toyota Prius was allegedly rear ended by a 16-year-old junior operator driving a black 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette. The junior operator had a permit but no licensed passenger in the vehicle and received a summons for unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.

Police received a call for a fight at Kendrick Park around 9:22 p.m. The scene was cleared about 20 minutes later.

A breaking and entering incident was reported at 9:36 p.m. for a Chestnut Street residence in which electronics, including an iPod, speakers and a laptop, were reported as stolen. Police noted forced entry through a window.

Joseph Mason, 25, of Amherst, was arrested in the vicinity of Hagis Mall 12:54 a.m. Monday for allegedly driving a 2000 Cadillac Seville with a suspended license.

Chelsie Field can be reached at cfield@student.umass.edu.