UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

APD reports handful of weekend break-ins

Shaina Mishkin / Collegian

The Thanksgiving break brought no noise complaint calls for the Amherst police department this weekend, but there were a handful of break-ins.

Amherst Police Detective David Foster was not surprised by the burgalaries.

“It happens every year,” he said. “With the house break-ins, I mean, we expected that. Thanksgiving, for whatever reason, is busier than others in terms of the number of break ins, because many people do not secure valuables and electronics when travelling for the holidays,” he said.

Around 8:45 p.m. Friday, police responded to a call for a group of individuals climbing the fence at Cowls Building Supply located at 125 Sunderland Road. The group allegedly took wood pallets from the property. A 27-year-old Amherst man received a summons for breaking and entering in the nighttime.

Christopher Shippa, 29, of Hatfield, was arrested on the charges of violating marked lanes, speeding and a second operating under the influence of alcohol offense after allegedly displaying impairment when operating a black 2010 Nissan Rogue at 739 North Pleasant St. around 1:03 a.m. Saturday.

Aiden Barrett, 18, of Ashfield, was stopped by police around 1:42 a.m. near 562 Montague Road in a grey 1998 Honda Civic and was arrested on the charge of operating under the influence of alcohol.

Police received a call for an assault on the Amherst town common around 4:25 p.m. in which Tracey Loy-Richter, 59, of Northampton, was arrested on charges of larceny from a person, assault and battery as well as attempting to commit a crime after allegedly trying to steal a purse off a woman’s shoulder, according to Foster.

A breaking and entering incident was reported at a Smith St. residence around 5:27 p.m. in which an iPad was reported as stolen. Police noted forced entry through the basement door.

Around 4 p.m. Sunday, a motor vehicle crash was reported at 32 College St. A black 2007 Toyota Prius was allegedly rear ended by a 16-year-old junior operator driving a black 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette. The junior operator had a permit but no licensed passenger in the vehicle and received a summons for unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.

Police received a call for a fight at Kendrick Park around 9:22 p.m. The scene was cleared about 20 minutes later.

A breaking and entering incident was reported at 9:36 p.m. for a Chestnut Street residence in which electronics, including an iPod, speakers and a laptop, were reported as stolen. Police noted forced entry through a window.

Joseph Mason, 25, of Amherst, was arrested in the vicinity of Hagis Mall 12:54 a.m. Monday for allegedly driving a 2000 Cadillac Seville with a suspended license.

Chelsie Field can be reached at cfield@student.umass.edu.