Defendant in 2012 gang rape case says accuser consented to sex -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

For the love of the craft: UMass Juggling Club -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass lacrosse looks for fourth straight victory versus Towson -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The dark, twisty special on Robert Durst proves that, yet again, humanity’s biggest “Jinx” is hubris -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Law and order, UMass style -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hillel fails to represent all Jewish students -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse aims another perfect conference record against Duquesne -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass heads home to take on Albany -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Coming off weekend victory, UMass softball prepares for series against St. Josephs -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

‘The Last Man on Earth?’ more like, ‘The Worst Show on Earth’ -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A new face for money -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass hopes to carry momentum into weekend series against VCU -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass Theatre Guild to present “Seussical” this weekend -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

UMass eyes the future of its athletics with the hiring of Athletic Director Ryan Bamford -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Derrick Gordon to transfer from UMass in search of more prominent role -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Local author and activist Don Ogden writes to make environmental change -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Chiarelli: Football the center of attention Tuesday at Bamford’s hiring -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

MANNA soup kitchen continues to feed the local hungry in Northampton -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Dash & Dine race raises funds for Amherst Survival Center -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Letter: SGA to the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor, and Auxiliary Services -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

APD reports handful of weekend break-ins

Shaina Mishkin / Collegian

The Thanksgiving break brought no noise complaint calls for the Amherst police department this weekend, but there were a handful of break-ins.

Amherst Police Detective David Foster was not surprised by the burgalaries.

“It happens every year,” he said. “With the house break-ins, I mean, we expected that. Thanksgiving, for whatever reason, is busier than others in terms of the number of break ins, because many people do not secure valuables and electronics when travelling for the holidays,” he said.

Around 8:45 p.m. Friday, police responded to a call for a group of individuals climbing the fence at Cowls Building Supply located at 125 Sunderland Road. The group allegedly took wood pallets from the property. A 27-year-old Amherst man received a summons for breaking and entering in the nighttime.

Christopher Shippa, 29, of Hatfield, was arrested on the charges of violating marked lanes, speeding and a second operating under the influence of alcohol offense after allegedly displaying impairment when operating a black 2010 Nissan Rogue at 739 North Pleasant St. around 1:03 a.m. Saturday.

Aiden Barrett, 18, of Ashfield, was stopped by police around 1:42 a.m. near 562 Montague Road in a grey 1998 Honda Civic and was arrested on the charge of operating under the influence of alcohol.

Police received a call for an assault on the Amherst town common around 4:25 p.m. in which Tracey Loy-Richter, 59, of Northampton, was arrested on charges of larceny from a person, assault and battery as well as attempting to commit a crime after allegedly trying to steal a purse off a woman’s shoulder, according to Foster.

A breaking and entering incident was reported at a Smith St. residence around 5:27 p.m. in which an iPad was reported as stolen. Police noted forced entry through the basement door.

Around 4 p.m. Sunday, a motor vehicle crash was reported at 32 College St. A black 2007 Toyota Prius was allegedly rear ended by a 16-year-old junior operator driving a black 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette. The junior operator had a permit but no licensed passenger in the vehicle and received a summons for unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.

Police received a call for a fight at Kendrick Park around 9:22 p.m. The scene was cleared about 20 minutes later.

A breaking and entering incident was reported at 9:36 p.m. for a Chestnut Street residence in which electronics, including an iPod, speakers and a laptop, were reported as stolen. Police noted forced entry through a window.

Joseph Mason, 25, of Amherst, was arrested in the vicinity of Hagis Mall 12:54 a.m. Monday for allegedly driving a 2000 Cadillac Seville with a suspended license.

Chelsie Field can be reached at cfield@student.umass.edu.