Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

Mount Holyoke coach squashed

Mount Holyoke College’s head squash coach was fired by the college yesterday after pleading no contest to a reckless endangerment charge earlier in the day in a Connecticut court, according to a Mt. Holyoke press release.

Head Squash Coach Allen Fitzsimmons, 31, has been suspended by Mount Holyoke since March, when the school first learned about the sexual assault charges brought against Fitzsimmons stemming from events prior to his employment, said the release.

Fitzsimmons was arrested by Middlebury, Conn. police on Feb. 23 for an event that reportedly occurred on Sept. 1, 2006, according to the Springfield Republican.

According to a Waterbury, Conn. newspaper, The Republican American, Fitzsimmons was initially charged with a misdemeanor, fourth-degree sexual assault, after a former student of his from Westover School in Middlebury, Conn. told police that Fitzsimmons had sexual contact with her at least twice while she was at the school between 2003 and 2007. Fitzsimmons taught at Westover, an all-girls school, for four years as the head varsity squash coach before being hired at Mount Holyoke in 2008.

Mount Holyoke said, in the release, that it “takes the prevention of sexual assault and sexual harassment very seriously. Upon learning of the charges against Mr. Fitzsimmons, the College immediately took steps to safeguard its students, faculty, staff, and visitors.”

The college also said that it would “launch a thorough review of the hiring process, using outside experts to insure that our hiring practices protect the safety of our College community.”

In May, Fitzsimmons was denied application for an “accelerated rehabilitation” that would have dismissed the misdemeanor sexual assault charge after the woman, now in her 20s, objected, according to the Associated Press.

Sam Hayes can be reached at sdhayes@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Mount Holyoke coach squashed”
  1. Joe says:

The MHC Athletic Director knew about the allegations at Westover School before she hired the coach. There are emails to prove that, unless they have already been destroyed.

2. Lary Bloom says:

Joe: How did you learn that MHC knew before it hired him? Any idea on how to track that info down?

You must be logged in to post a comment.