Sloppy second half plagues UMass in 65-53 loss to Richmond on Senior Night -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

RSO brings concepts to life through dance -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Underwoods deal with a dwindling hand of “Cards” in an exciting, topical season -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Chris Kyle: An American hero -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Ballot question asks for increased student health fee to hire new CCPH staff -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

“Parks and Recreation” goes out on a good, if familiar, note -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Why opinion journalism matters -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

UMass to retire Calipari jersey -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

“Hot Tub Time Machine 2” a disappointing comedy sequel -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

UMass opens season against Kentucky -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Opportunity knocks for UMass hockey -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Ludacris finalized as third performer at “Bring the Spring!” concert -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Minutewomen advance to A-10 second round -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Offensive woes frustrate UMass in loss to Richmond -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Minutewomen enter tough weekend schedule -

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Video monitoring equipment installed throughout Amherst in preparation for ‘Blarney’ -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Professor Neil Forbes receives $1.56 million grant to develop cancer-killing Salmonella -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

UMass, Trey Davis ready for Richmond and Kendall Anthony -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Milan Fashion Week mixes the old with the new -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Smartphone surge following historic net neutrality decision shows relationship between technology and consumers -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Mount Holyoke coach squashed

Mount Holyoke College’s head squash coach was fired by the college yesterday after pleading no contest to a reckless endangerment charge earlier in the day in a Connecticut court, according to a Mt. Holyoke press release.

Head Squash Coach Allen Fitzsimmons, 31, has been suspended by Mount Holyoke since March, when the school first learned about the sexual assault charges brought against Fitzsimmons stemming from events prior to his employment, said the release.

Fitzsimmons was arrested by Middlebury, Conn. police on Feb. 23 for an event that reportedly occurred on Sept. 1, 2006, according to the Springfield Republican.

According to a Waterbury, Conn. newspaper, The Republican American, Fitzsimmons was initially charged with a misdemeanor, fourth-degree sexual assault, after a former student of his from Westover School in Middlebury, Conn. told police that Fitzsimmons had sexual contact with her at least twice while she was at the school between 2003 and 2007. Fitzsimmons taught at Westover, an all-girls school, for four years as the head varsity squash coach before being hired at Mount Holyoke in 2008.

Mount Holyoke said, in the release, that it “takes the prevention of sexual assault and sexual harassment very seriously. Upon learning of the charges against Mr. Fitzsimmons, the College immediately took steps to safeguard its students, faculty, staff, and visitors.”

The college also said that it would “launch a thorough review of the hiring process, using outside experts to insure that our hiring practices protect the safety of our College community.”

In May, Fitzsimmons was denied application for an “accelerated rehabilitation” that would have dismissed the misdemeanor sexual assault charge after the woman, now in her 20s, objected, according to the Associated Press.

Sam Hayes can be reached at sdhayes@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Mount Holyoke coach squashed”
  1. Joe says:

The MHC Athletic Director knew about the allegations at Westover School before she hired the coach. There are emails to prove that, unless they have already been destroyed.

2. Lary Bloom says:

Joe: How did you learn that MHC knew before it hired him? Any idea on how to track that info down?