UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

UNH takes down Denver, BC defeats Dartmouth

Jeff Bernstein / Collegian archives

After trailing 3-0 in the first period, No. 3 New Hampshire rallied to defeated No. 2 Denver, 6-4, on Saturday night in Denver, Colo.

The Wildcats’ (9-1-2, 6-1-1 Hockey East Association) offense stepped it up in the second and third periods, with sophomore Grayson Downing and junior Kevin Goumas each recording hat tricks in the victory. Goumas also had two assists in the game, leading his team with five points and his game-winner came with three minutes, 20 seconds left in the game.

Despite jumping out to the three-goal lead, the Pioneers (9-3, 7-1 Western Collegiate Hockey Association) were unable to contain the UNH offense, with Goumas scoring all three of his goals in the third period to give UNH the lead and, ultimately, the win.

Denver was unable to cash in on the power play in the contest, going 0-for-5 on the man advantage.

Wildcat goalkeeper Jeff Wyer made 18 saves in the win after replacing sophomore Casey DeSmith in the first period.

UNH is back in action Friday when it hosts UMass Lowell, while Denver’s next opponent is Wisconsin on Friday night at home.

Boston College defeats Dartmouth

A three-goal outburst in the third period gave No. 1 Boston College a 6-3 victory over No. 11 Dartmouth in a non-conference matchup Saturday night.

Two goal efforts from senior Pat Mullane and sophomore phenom Johnny Gaudreau led the Eagles (10-1, 6-1 HEA) to their 10th victory of the season, extending their winning streak to 10 games. For the Big Green (5-2-2, 4-1-1 Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference), the loss pushes their winless streak to three games.

Heading into the third period tied at three, BC wasted no time regaining the lead, with Mullane scoring his second goal of the game 18 seconds into the period. Goals by Gaudreau and senior Steven Whitney put the game out of reach, making it 6-3 in the end.

Gaudreau and Mullane combined for nine total points, tallying four goals and five assists.

Eagles goalkeeper Parker Milner made 29 saves in the game, while Big Green goalkeeper Charles Grant produced 25 saves in the loss.

BC looks to win its tenth straight when it takes on rival No. 10 Boston University Friday night on the road. Dartmouth tries to get back on track Saturday night when it hosts Bentley.

Providence routs Brown

Seven different players scored for Providence College in a convincing 7-0 victory over cross-town rival Brown in the 27th Annual Mayor’s Cup.

Junior defender Kevin Hart led the Friars (6-5-1, 4-3 HEA) offensively, contributing a goal and three assists in the game. Despite only holding a 1-0 lead after the first period, the Providence offense erupted for six more goals in the next two periods, scoring three of them on the power play.

Senior Chris Rooney provided two assists for the Friars, while freshman Kevin Rooney was credited with two assists as well. The Bears (2-4-2, 0-2-2 ECAC) had many chances to get back into the game, forcing Providence goalkeeper Jon Gillies to make a career-high 35 saves, including 21 in the final period. This marked Gillies’ second shutout of the season, while Brown goalkeeper Marco DeFilipo was credited with his fourth loss of the year.

The Friars’ next game is Friday night when they travel to North Andover to take on Merrimack. Brown, who defeated Holy Cross this past Sunday, faces Yale on the road Saturday night.

Jason Kates can be reached at jkates@student.umass.edu.