No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass forward Zach Coleman excels in increased role against Florida State -

Monday, November 24, 2014

SLIDESHOW: Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament -

Monday, November 24, 2014

CMASS holds ‘Half Empty or Half Full?: What is Sustainability?’ meeting -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UMass women’s basketball splits weekend series in Hospitality Hill Challenge -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UNH takes down Denver, BC defeats Dartmouth

Jeff Bernstein / Collegian archives

After trailing 3-0 in the first period, No. 3 New Hampshire rallied to defeated No. 2 Denver, 6-4, on Saturday night in Denver, Colo.

The Wildcats’ (9-1-2, 6-1-1 Hockey East Association) offense stepped it up in the second and third periods, with sophomore Grayson Downing and junior Kevin Goumas each recording hat tricks in the victory. Goumas also had two assists in the game, leading his team with five points and his game-winner came with three minutes, 20 seconds left in the game.

Despite jumping out to the three-goal lead, the Pioneers (9-3, 7-1 Western Collegiate Hockey Association) were unable to contain the UNH offense, with Goumas scoring all three of his goals in the third period to give UNH the lead and, ultimately, the win.

Denver was unable to cash in on the power play in the contest, going 0-for-5 on the man advantage.

Wildcat goalkeeper Jeff Wyer made 18 saves in the win after replacing sophomore Casey DeSmith in the first period.

UNH is back in action Friday when it hosts UMass Lowell, while Denver’s next opponent is Wisconsin on Friday night at home.

Boston College defeats Dartmouth

A three-goal outburst in the third period gave No. 1 Boston College a 6-3 victory over No. 11 Dartmouth in a non-conference matchup Saturday night.

Two goal efforts from senior Pat Mullane and sophomore phenom Johnny Gaudreau led the Eagles (10-1, 6-1 HEA) to their 10th victory of the season, extending their winning streak to 10 games. For the Big Green (5-2-2, 4-1-1 Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference), the loss pushes their winless streak to three games.

Heading into the third period tied at three, BC wasted no time regaining the lead, with Mullane scoring his second goal of the game 18 seconds into the period. Goals by Gaudreau and senior Steven Whitney put the game out of reach, making it 6-3 in the end.

Gaudreau and Mullane combined for nine total points, tallying four goals and five assists.

Eagles goalkeeper Parker Milner made 29 saves in the game, while Big Green goalkeeper Charles Grant produced 25 saves in the loss.

BC looks to win its tenth straight when it takes on rival No. 10 Boston University Friday night on the road. Dartmouth tries to get back on track Saturday night when it hosts Bentley.

Providence routs Brown

Seven different players scored for Providence College in a convincing 7-0 victory over cross-town rival Brown in the 27th Annual Mayor’s Cup.

Junior defender Kevin Hart led the Friars (6-5-1, 4-3 HEA) offensively, contributing a goal and three assists in the game. Despite only holding a 1-0 lead after the first period, the Providence offense erupted for six more goals in the next two periods, scoring three of them on the power play.

Senior Chris Rooney provided two assists for the Friars, while freshman Kevin Rooney was credited with two assists as well. The Bears (2-4-2, 0-2-2 ECAC) had many chances to get back into the game, forcing Providence goalkeeper Jon Gillies to make a career-high 35 saves, including 21 in the final period. This marked Gillies’ second shutout of the season, while Brown goalkeeper Marco DeFilipo was credited with his fourth loss of the year.

The Friars’ next game is Friday night when they travel to North Andover to take on Merrimack. Brown, who defeated Holy Cross this past Sunday, faces Yale on the road Saturday night.

Jason Kates can be reached at jkates@student.umass.edu.