UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

UNH takes down Denver, BC defeats Dartmouth

Jeff Bernstein / Collegian archives

After trailing 3-0 in the first period, No. 3 New Hampshire rallied to defeated No. 2 Denver, 6-4, on Saturday night in Denver, Colo.

The Wildcats’ (9-1-2, 6-1-1 Hockey East Association) offense stepped it up in the second and third periods, with sophomore Grayson Downing and junior Kevin Goumas each recording hat tricks in the victory. Goumas also had two assists in the game, leading his team with five points and his game-winner came with three minutes, 20 seconds left in the game.

Despite jumping out to the three-goal lead, the Pioneers (9-3, 7-1 Western Collegiate Hockey Association) were unable to contain the UNH offense, with Goumas scoring all three of his goals in the third period to give UNH the lead and, ultimately, the win.

Denver was unable to cash in on the power play in the contest, going 0-for-5 on the man advantage.

Wildcat goalkeeper Jeff Wyer made 18 saves in the win after replacing sophomore Casey DeSmith in the first period.

UNH is back in action Friday when it hosts UMass Lowell, while Denver’s next opponent is Wisconsin on Friday night at home.

Boston College defeats Dartmouth

A three-goal outburst in the third period gave No. 1 Boston College a 6-3 victory over No. 11 Dartmouth in a non-conference matchup Saturday night.

Two goal efforts from senior Pat Mullane and sophomore phenom Johnny Gaudreau led the Eagles (10-1, 6-1 HEA) to their 10th victory of the season, extending their winning streak to 10 games. For the Big Green (5-2-2, 4-1-1 Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference), the loss pushes their winless streak to three games.

Heading into the third period tied at three, BC wasted no time regaining the lead, with Mullane scoring his second goal of the game 18 seconds into the period. Goals by Gaudreau and senior Steven Whitney put the game out of reach, making it 6-3 in the end.

Gaudreau and Mullane combined for nine total points, tallying four goals and five assists.

Eagles goalkeeper Parker Milner made 29 saves in the game, while Big Green goalkeeper Charles Grant produced 25 saves in the loss.

BC looks to win its tenth straight when it takes on rival No. 10 Boston University Friday night on the road. Dartmouth tries to get back on track Saturday night when it hosts Bentley.

Providence routs Brown

Seven different players scored for Providence College in a convincing 7-0 victory over cross-town rival Brown in the 27th Annual Mayor’s Cup.

Junior defender Kevin Hart led the Friars (6-5-1, 4-3 HEA) offensively, contributing a goal and three assists in the game. Despite only holding a 1-0 lead after the first period, the Providence offense erupted for six more goals in the next two periods, scoring three of them on the power play.

Senior Chris Rooney provided two assists for the Friars, while freshman Kevin Rooney was credited with two assists as well. The Bears (2-4-2, 0-2-2 ECAC) had many chances to get back into the game, forcing Providence goalkeeper Jon Gillies to make a career-high 35 saves, including 21 in the final period. This marked Gillies’ second shutout of the season, while Brown goalkeeper Marco DeFilipo was credited with his fourth loss of the year.

The Friars’ next game is Friday night when they travel to North Andover to take on Merrimack. Brown, who defeated Holy Cross this past Sunday, faces Yale on the road Saturday night.

Jason Kates can be reached at jkates@student.umass.edu.