Chang’s fashions turn heads

It is hard not to notice Jeffrey Chang as he makes his way to class in his usual skinny jeans, fur and beloved 6-inch studded Jeffrey Campbell platform boots, adding a jolt of high fashion to the University of Massachusetts campus.

Conor Murphy/Collegian

It wasn’t always this way though.

When asked when he found his love of fashion, Jeffrey said it didn’t start until his junior year of high school.

Chang describes his personal style as “high-fashion grunge,” playing with blacks as well as neutrals for a dark color palette.

Chang finds inspiration for his varied looks on street-style blogs, as well as through magazines such as “Vogue,” he said. He also favors designers such as Marc Jacobs and Rick Owens.

One of Chang’s favorite ways to shop is through online stores. Although he will admittedly spend a lot of money on some purchases, if it’s not on sale, he usually won’t buy it, he said. One time of year he particularly enjoys is the end of season sale at All Saints, a Boston retailer. Some of Chang’s other favorite places to shop are Barney’s New York, Nordstrom, thrift stores and T.J. Maxx.

Chang cites a former co-worker at Nordstrom for his sense of style and being an inspiration to him when he first became interested in fashion.

“He was an assistant manager and he just wore whatever he wanted, he wore furs and crazy jewelry, and I thought ‘why can’t I do that?’” Chang said.

Chang began putting together looks that incorporated both men’s and women’s clothes for a unique style that is at once androgynous and ultra-glamorous.

When asked what his biggest piece of advice is for others on how to dress, he replied, “Wear what makes you happy.”

Conor Murphy can be reached at [email protected].