UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

Ohio State and Notre Dame stay undefeated, Gators beat in-state rival

Ohio State defeated Michigan 26-21 on Saturday, completing an undefeated season and adding fuel to the fire of the two schools’ intense rivalry.

The Buckeyes (12-0, 8-0 Big Ten Conference) are ineligible to compete for the Bowl Championship Series national title this year due to NCAA violations, but still have a chance at being voted No. 1 in the Associated Press Top 25 poll if other top contenders falter late in the season.

Leading 21-20 at halftime, the Wolverines (8-4, 6-2 Big Ten)  failed to score in the second half. Ohio State took advantage of OSU’s offensive ineptitude and completed the comeback on two Drew Basil field goals. Basil finished the day with four total makes, including a 52-yarder as the first half came to an end.

The Buckeyes struck first in the matchup on a Carlos Hyde 3-yard rushing touchdown with 12 minutes, 41 seconds left in the first quarter , but were quickly answered with a 75-yard scoring pass from Michigan quarterback Devin Gardner to receiver Roy Roundtree just more than five minutes later.

Basil would tacked on a 41-yard field goal just before the end of the quarter, giving Ohio a 10-7 lead.

The Wolverines scored two more touchdowns in the second quarter, including a 67-yard scamper from quarterback Denard Robinson to give them the halftime lead they would eventually cough up.

Gators  down in-state rival

Florida scored 24 points in the fourth quarter to beat rival Florida State 37-26 on Saturday.

The Seminoles (10-2, 7-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) blew a 7-point lead heading into the final 15 minutes of play, failing to answer the Gators’ fourth quarter scoring outburst until adding a meaningless touchdown run from quarterback E.J. Manuel as time expired.

Florida (11-1, 7-1 Southeastern Conference) used consecutive touchdowns from running back Mike Gillislee, receiver Quinton Dunbar and running back Matt Jones to secure the late lead.

After hanging tough throughout the first half, Florida State dominated the third quarter on its way to building the 20-13 lead it would late relinquish.

Manuel, who finished 182 yards passing and 54 yards rushing, accounted for both of the Seminoles’ touchdowns in the frame, connecting with tight end Nick O’Leary for a 6-yard score and taking one in himself from one yard out.

Notre Dame punches championship ticket

Notre Dame completed its undefeated regular season with a 22-13 victory over longtime rival Southern California on Saturday, earning itself a shot at a BCS national title on Jan. 7.

The Fighting Irish (12-0) never trailed, keeping one step ahead of their opponents throughout the game. The Notre Dame defense, led by Heisman hopeful Manti Te’o, stifled the Trojans (7-5, 5-4 Pacific-12 Conference) offense, limiting them to only one touchdown and two field goals on the day.

The Fighting Irish jumped out to a 10-0 first quarter lead on the back of a Theo Riddick 9-yard touchdown run and the first Kyle Brindza’s five field goals.

USC would eventually get on the board with a 11-yard Robert Woods touchdown reception from back-up quarterback Mix Wittek, but failed to cross the goal line thereafter. The two teams exchanged field goals for the rest of the game.

Kat Kent can be reached at kkent@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Kent.