Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

UMass Fraternity all geared up for third Pedal for Push campaign

Pi Kappa Phi President Kurt Chamberlin wasn’t biking on Monday to try and get across campus.

Facebook

Rather, he was helping in his fraternity’s effort to raise $3,000 for the disabled.

For the third straight semester of hosting the week-long Pedal for Push campaign, which began Monday, Pi Kappa Phi is pedaling 2,400 miles on stationary bikes to raise money on behalf of people with disabilities and promote awareness of their charity work both on and off campus.

About $670 had been raised as of Tuesday, fraternity member Jim McCarthy said, which is $270 more than last year’s total.

“And that’s just with two days,” McCarthy said. “We like to set the bar high and see if we can reach it.”

Chamberlin said people with disabilities are “the only minority group anyone can become a part of at any time.”

Disabilities, he added, don’t always have to be physical, and can include learning and mental disabilities.

“I think it’s a good way to spread awareness as well as fundraising,” Chamberlin, a senior marketing major, said of the Pedal for Push campaign. “It has a good message.”

At least three members of the fraternity will ride the bikes from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. through Friday in 30-minute shifts. The fraternity will also be giving away prizes, hosting a raffle and answering questions about their goals to assist the handicapped.

“We were able to collaborate with the brothers so that the bikes were ongoing,” said member Jim McCarthy, who is in charge of advertising for the event.

Chamberlin said the money raised during Pedal for Push week “provides opportunities to run campaigns,” such as Spread the Word to End the Word, a campaign to end the use of the “r-word,” according to its website.

Raised funds also give the fraternity “money to buy supplies to build accessible ramps and accessible playgrounds for kids or adults with physical disabilities,” Chamberlin said.

McCarthy, a junior mechanical engineering student, said that donators will see the direct difference their dollars make. He gave handicap accessible ramps as an example.

UMass’ Pi Kappa Phi chapter is participating as part of Pi Kappa Phi’s larger fundraising programs across the nation. This year’s national Push America fundraising events are “Gear Up Florida,” an 800 mile bike race throughout the state of Florida that also raises money for the disabled, and “Journey of Hope,” a 3,000-mile bike ride across the United States.

Fraternity member Sahil Tembulkar, a junior neuroscience major, said “Pedal for Push Week is supposed to be a small representation of the bigger event in Florida and the other work our fraternity does.”

“Gear Up Florida” is organized by Pi Kappa Phi brothers nationwide. The UMass chapter will be sending two members – Zach Broughton and Taha Saifullah – to the event this year in an effort to spread their fraternity’s work and message beyond the University campus.

The brothers of Pi Kappa Phi have been committed to assisting the handicapped since the 54- member fraternity came to UMass in six years ago. The fraternity is the only one on campus with its own non-profit organization.

Pi Kappa Phi will be organizing additional future fundraising events geared to assist the disable and improve their community. Last spring, fraternity members rode stationary bikes for 30 consecutive hours in another program.

Chamberlin said next semester’s Pedal for Push might see a dodgeball game, food and live music in order to offer “different ways of donating.”

“We hope to kind of grow in size each time we participate,” he said.

Brian Bevilacqua can be reached at bbevilac@student.umass.edu.

Chelsie Field can be reached at cfield@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.