Video monitoring equipment installed throughout Amherst in preparation for ‘Blarney’ -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Professor Neil Forbes receives $1.56 million grant to develop cancer-killing Salmonella -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

UMass, Trey Davis ready for Richmond and Kendall Anthony -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Milan Fashion Week mixes the old with the new -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Smartphone surge following historic net neutrality decision shows relationship between technology and consumers -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tournament time: UMass women’s basketball faces St. Bonaventure in A-10 opener -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bread & Butter brings local produce to Amherst’s breakfast scene -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

‘Blarney’ guest policy is too harsh and was announced too late -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Esho and Lalanne ready for one final show at Mullins Center -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: March 3, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Xavier notches fifth win of season, Charlotte remains undefeated

Led by freshman guard Semaj Christon, the Xavier men’s basketball team used an early second half rally to hold off Drake 74-70 on Sunday at the Direct TV Classic Tournament held in Anaheim, Calif.

MCT

Christon scored a team-high 16 points along with seven assists and six rebounds to lead the Musketeers (5-1) past the Bulldogs (2-3). He averaged 19 points and 6.3 assists over three games en route to being named to the All-Tournament Team.

Xavier trailed Drake 30-26 coming out of the half, but went on an 11-0 run to take a lead it would not relinquish. Four other Musketeers scored in double figures, including sophomore guard Dee Davis, who chipped in 15 points, and sophomore forward Justin Martin, who scored 13 point to go along with a team-high eight rebounds.

The Bulldogs cut the deficit to as few as five points, but a 6-0 Mustketeer run in the final four minutes put the game out of reach.

Drake freshman forward Joey King led all scorers with a career-high 21 points on7-of-11 shooting, while senior forward Ben Simons added 20 points and six rebounds.

Xavier is back in action Saturday as it travels to West Lafayette, Ind., to take on Purdue, while Drake also hits the road to take on Nevada this Friday.

La Salle escapes in OT

Powered by senior guard Ramon Galloway and junior guard Tyreek Duren, La Salle squeaked out a down-to-the-wire 77-74 overtime win Sunday at home in Tom Gola Arena.

With the Explorers (3-1) trailing 74-73 in overtime, Duren scored an easy layup on a back-door cut, putting his team up for good with 18 seconds remaining. Sophomore center Steve Zack sunk two free throws to extend the La Salle lead to three with just under six seconds remaining and the Wildcats (3-3) failed to tie the game at the buzzer.

Duren forced the game into overtime after nailing a contested 3-point shot with seven seconds left on the clock, ending regulation with a 67-67 tie.

Galloway led all scorers with 26 points along with four rebounds, four assists and five steals. He, along with teammate Duren (23 points, five assists), kept the Explorers in the game with a dominating second half performance that saw the pair score 24 of La Salle’s final 26 points.

The Wildcats were led by senior center Mouphtaou Yarou, who racked up 20 points, seven rebounds and two blocks, and sophomore forward Jay Vaughn Pinkston, who tallied 19 points, seven rebounds and four assists.

The Explorers next travel to Lawrenceville, N.J., Thursday to take on Rider, while Villanova heads to Nashville, Tenn., to take on Vanderbilt on Saturday.

Charlotte remains undefeated

Charlotte took care of Northeastern 67-59 in Anchorage on Sunday to take home the Great Alaska Shootout tournament title while remaining undefeated and tying the school record for the best start to a season.

The 49ers (6-0) were led by three double-digit scorers including senior forward Chris Braswell (14 points, four rebounds), sophomore guard Terrence Williams (13 points, three blocks) and freshman forward Darion Clark (10 points, eight rebounds).

Charlotte had trouble putting away the Huskies in the second half, as Northeastern rallied multiple times, including a 6-2 run in the final minute to cut the 49er lead to 63-59.

However, Braswell shut the book on any hopes of a Huskies comeback by scoring the final four points of the game.

Senior guard Joel Smith led the Huskies’ attack with 19 points, four rebounds, two assists and two steals. Freshman guard David Walker was the only other Northeastern player in double digits with 13 points.

Charlotte heads back home Saturday to take on East Carolina while Northeastern returns to Boston to host Maine on Wednesday.

Joey Saade can be reached at jsaade@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Saade.