5 Reasons Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

At the end of your rope? Write about it. -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Pigskin Pick’Em Week nine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Xavier women’s hoops outmuscled by No. 4 Duke, Dayton cruises

The Xavier women’s basketball team fell 82-59 at home to No. 4 Duke on Sunday. While the Musketeers didn’t come out on top, the 59 points they scored was the most against the Blue Devils this season.

Flickr: Antinee

Xavier (3-2, 0-0 Atlantic 10 Conference) shot only 32.8 percent from the field in the game, but outscored Duke 24-22 from the bench while collecting 23 points off of the Blue Devils’ 16 turnovers.

Junior guard Ashley Wanninger scored a career-high 15 points on 5-of-13 shooting for the Musketeers and was also the only Xavier player to reach double digits. She also added two steals and three rebounds.

Duke (4-0, 0-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) held the Musketeers scoreless in the first five minutes of the game and continued to dominate throughout the half, outscoring Xavier 19-2.

Junior guard Chelsea Gray, who had 22 points and 10 assists, led the Duke offense.

With 14 minutes, 46 seconds remaining in the second half, the Musketeers were not far behind, but fell short due to the Blue Devil’s tight defense, which held Xavier to 0-for-8 shooting to close out the game.

The Musketeers will face Appalachian State at home on Friday at 7 p.m.

Duquesne defeats Ohio

Duquesne came out with a 62-55 win on the road over Ohio on Sunday.

Trailing 17-7 early in the first half, the Dukes (4-1, 0-0 A-10) quickly regrouped and claimed a 24-23 lead capped by consecutive layups from sophomore forward Stasia King.

Sophomore Belma Nurkic scored a career-high 19 points while junior forward Wumi Agunbiade scored 14 points to go with 13 rebounds.

The Bobcats (1-3, 0-0 Mid-American Conference) were quick to catch up and regain the lead, but were silenced by Duquesne junior guard Oditte Odisho’s 3-pointer that tied the game at 29-29. Both teams continued to battle back-and-forth in the contest, but the Dukes pulled away late, sealing the victory with clutch foul shots from Nurkic.

Next, Duquesne will play at Buffalo on Wednesday at 5 p.m.

Dayton cruises against Eastern Illinois

The Dayton women’s basketball team knocked off Eastern Illinois 105-42 on Sunday in the Dayton Flyer Marriott Classic.

As the host of the tournament, the Flyers (6-0, 0-0 A-10) came out with an aggressive level of play, leading the Panthers (2-3, 0-0 Ohio Valley Conference) throughout the entire game. They topped 100 points, which is something they have not done since defeating Harvard 101-80 on Dec. 30, 2010.

Five of Dayton’s players reached double digits in the contest. Freshman center Jodie Cornelie-Sigmundova scored a career-high 21 points, while teammate sophomore forward Ally Malott scored 15 points and had 13 rebounds en route to the Flyers dominating the points in the paint, 60-16.

Malott, who was named to the All-Tournament team along with Cornelie-Sigmundova and freshman guard Kelley Austria, was the Most Valuable Player of the tournament.

The victory was Dayton’s largest since entering Division I and was its seventh largest in the program.

The Flyers will be on the road for their next game against Wright State on Wednesday  at 7 p.m.

Kaitlin Boyer can be reached at krboyer@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Boyer.