Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Xavier women’s hoops outmuscled by No. 4 Duke, Dayton cruises

The Xavier women’s basketball team fell 82-59 at home to No. 4 Duke on Sunday. While the Musketeers didn’t come out on top, the 59 points they scored was the most against the Blue Devils this season.

Flickr: Antinee

Xavier (3-2, 0-0 Atlantic 10 Conference) shot only 32.8 percent from the field in the game, but outscored Duke 24-22 from the bench while collecting 23 points off of the Blue Devils’ 16 turnovers.

Junior guard Ashley Wanninger scored a career-high 15 points on 5-of-13 shooting for the Musketeers and was also the only Xavier player to reach double digits. She also added two steals and three rebounds.

Duke (4-0, 0-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) held the Musketeers scoreless in the first five minutes of the game and continued to dominate throughout the half, outscoring Xavier 19-2.

Junior guard Chelsea Gray, who had 22 points and 10 assists, led the Duke offense.

With 14 minutes, 46 seconds remaining in the second half, the Musketeers were not far behind, but fell short due to the Blue Devil’s tight defense, which held Xavier to 0-for-8 shooting to close out the game.

The Musketeers will face Appalachian State at home on Friday at 7 p.m.

Duquesne defeats Ohio

Duquesne came out with a 62-55 win on the road over Ohio on Sunday.

Trailing 17-7 early in the first half, the Dukes (4-1, 0-0 A-10) quickly regrouped and claimed a 24-23 lead capped by consecutive layups from sophomore forward Stasia King.

Sophomore Belma Nurkic scored a career-high 19 points while junior forward Wumi Agunbiade scored 14 points to go with 13 rebounds.

The Bobcats (1-3, 0-0 Mid-American Conference) were quick to catch up and regain the lead, but were silenced by Duquesne junior guard Oditte Odisho’s 3-pointer that tied the game at 29-29. Both teams continued to battle back-and-forth in the contest, but the Dukes pulled away late, sealing the victory with clutch foul shots from Nurkic.

Next, Duquesne will play at Buffalo on Wednesday at 5 p.m.

Dayton cruises against Eastern Illinois

The Dayton women’s basketball team knocked off Eastern Illinois 105-42 on Sunday in the Dayton Flyer Marriott Classic.

As the host of the tournament, the Flyers (6-0, 0-0 A-10) came out with an aggressive level of play, leading the Panthers (2-3, 0-0 Ohio Valley Conference) throughout the entire game. They topped 100 points, which is something they have not done since defeating Harvard 101-80 on Dec. 30, 2010.

Five of Dayton’s players reached double digits in the contest. Freshman center Jodie Cornelie-Sigmundova scored a career-high 21 points, while teammate sophomore forward Ally Malott scored 15 points and had 13 rebounds en route to the Flyers dominating the points in the paint, 60-16.

Malott, who was named to the All-Tournament team along with Cornelie-Sigmundova and freshman guard Kelley Austria, was the Most Valuable Player of the tournament.

The victory was Dayton’s largest since entering Division I and was its seventh largest in the program.

The Flyers will be on the road for their next game against Wright State on Wednesday  at 7 p.m.

Kaitlin Boyer can be reached at krboyer@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Boyer.

You must be logged in to post a comment.