UMass students show lackluster attitude toward ‘Mullins Live!’ concert -

UMass women’s basketball loses in first round of Atlantic 10 Tournament -

Ryan Adams perfects his melancholy, widescreen take on 80s heartland rock on ‘Prisoner’ -

Exposing the horrific crime of modern-day slavery -

UMass men’s basketball successfully drops La Salle 84-71 in confidence-building win -

UMass men’s lacrosse’s late rally falls short against Harvard -

UMass women’s lacrosse struggles to find offense in loss to No. 5 Syracuse -

With Perez, Democrats remain in limbo -

UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Michael Phelps’ manager talks about how he did it

Flickr/marcopako 

When managing high-profile athletes like Michael Phelps, it’s important to have a plan, according to managing director of Octagon’s Olympic and Action Sports division Peter Carlisle.

But the plan can’t be just a business model, according to Phelps’ manager. It has to be a plan in which the athlete inspires people.

Yesterday’s lecture by Carlisle was given yesterday at the Campus Center as part of the Mark H. McCormack Executive-in-Residence program where a prominent figure in sports management comes to UMass for three days to talk to students.

Carlisle has also signed other gold medalists, like gymnast Aly Raisman, speed skater Apolo Anton Ohno, and snowboarders Ross Powers, Hannah Teter, Kelly Clark, and Seth Wescott.

When talking about his 10-year plan with Phelps, though, Carlisle stressed that, “Michael needed to stand alone as an individual athlete,” noting that he didn’t want Phelps to be a part of an army of athletes at the Olympic Games.

Carlisle also emphasized the importance of connecting with people, which is why he visited China three times prior to the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, joined together with the Boys and Girls Club and began the Michael Phelps Foundation.

As a result, Phelps became an inspiration, Carlisle said. He said Phelps inspired the 15-year-old female Olympic gold medalist swimmer, Ye Shiwen, whose time defeated even male swimmers such as American Ryan Lochte at the 2012 Olympic Games.

Shiwen has been known to have said that seeing Phelps in China when she was 10 inspired her to start swimming.

Early in the lecture, Carlisle said Mark McCormack, founder and chairman of the International Management Group, inspired him when he first started in Portland, Maine, calling him “the true pioneer.”

Students who attended the lecture thought Carlisle was a good pick.

“I’m interested to hear what he has to say, he’s a prominent figure in sport management,” said freshman sports management major Mike Cronin.

Cronin said Carlisle’s managing of Phelos was “the main reason I admire his career.”

Cameron Huber, a freshman, agreed.

“He’s a really influential figure, and I wanted to hear him speak,” he said.

Catherine Ferris can be reached at cferris@student.umass.edu.

Editors note: A previous version of this story stated Mark McCormack is a UMass alumnae. This was incorrect.