Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Michael Phelps’ manager talks about how he did it

Flickr/marcopako 

When managing high-profile athletes like Michael Phelps, it’s important to have a plan, according to managing director of Octagon’s Olympic and Action Sports division Peter Carlisle.

But the plan can’t be just a business model, according to Phelps’ manager. It has to be a plan in which the athlete inspires people.

Yesterday’s lecture by Carlisle was given yesterday at the Campus Center as part of the Mark H. McCormack Executive-in-Residence program where a prominent figure in sports management comes to UMass for three days to talk to students.

Carlisle has also signed other gold medalists, like gymnast Aly Raisman, speed skater Apolo Anton Ohno, and snowboarders Ross Powers, Hannah Teter, Kelly Clark, and Seth Wescott.

When talking about his 10-year plan with Phelps, though, Carlisle stressed that, “Michael needed to stand alone as an individual athlete,” noting that he didn’t want Phelps to be a part of an army of athletes at the Olympic Games.

Carlisle also emphasized the importance of connecting with people, which is why he visited China three times prior to the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, joined together with the Boys and Girls Club and began the Michael Phelps Foundation.

As a result, Phelps became an inspiration, Carlisle said. He said Phelps inspired the 15-year-old female Olympic gold medalist swimmer, Ye Shiwen, whose time defeated even male swimmers such as American Ryan Lochte at the 2012 Olympic Games.

Shiwen has been known to have said that seeing Phelps in China when she was 10 inspired her to start swimming.

Early in the lecture, Carlisle said Mark McCormack, founder and chairman of the International Management Group, inspired him when he first started in Portland, Maine, calling him “the true pioneer.”

Students who attended the lecture thought Carlisle was a good pick.

“I’m interested to hear what he has to say, he’s a prominent figure in sport management,” said freshman sports management major Mike Cronin.

Cronin said Carlisle’s managing of Phelos was “the main reason I admire his career.”

Cameron Huber, a freshman, agreed.

“He’s a really influential figure, and I wanted to hear him speak,” he said.

Catherine Ferris can be reached at cferris@student.umass.edu.

Editors note: A previous version of this story stated Mark McCormack is a UMass alumnae. This was incorrect.