BC’s methodical rushing attack wears UMass down -

Saturday, August 30, 2014

UMass football dominated as Boston College rolls to a 30-7 victory -

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Arrest made after lewd acts on campus -

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Suspect in custody after break-ins on Lincoln Avenue -

Thursday, August 28, 2014

UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

Power play a strength for UMass this season

The Massachusetts hockey team has made its fair share of improvements this  season, but perhaps the biggest of all is its special teams play.

Last year, the Minutemen struggled on both the power play and its penalty kill, finishing sixth in Hockey East  with a power play percentage of 18.2 percent and ninth on the penalty kill at 76.1 percent.

But in UMass’ first 11 games this season, it has drastically improved in both areas. The Minutemen (4-5-2, 3-5-1 HEA) now boast the second-best power play percentage in Hockey East at 21.4 percent and the fourth best penalty kill at 86 percent.

The players credit the new system implemented by first-year UMass coach John Micheletto as a key reason for these improvements.

“Our system is definitely different,” junior forward Conor Sheary said. “We kind of go out there and make plays, there’s not much that we set in place. I think we have a lot of chemistry out there.”

Micheletto had experience working on special teams while he was an assistant coach at Vermont, where he switched off each year coaching the penalty kill and the power play.

He brought his special team’s philosophy along with him to the Minutemen, but as a coach, he said he has to play to the strengths of his current players.

“You’re always trying to identify the strengths of the players that you are working with,” Micheletto said. “It’s also just creating an air of creativity and constantly pushing your guys to not play with fear, which sometimes can be difficult on the power play. It can be such a momentum builder and it can also be a momentum crusher. “

So far, special teams have been a momentum builder for UMass. Twelve of the Minutemen’s 29 goals this season have been scored on the power play. They also scored twice on short-handed opportunities and once on a penalty shot.

Sheary has played a vital role in five of UMass’ power play goals and also knocked in a short-handed goal last Saturday in a 2-2 tie with Quinnipiac. He leads the Minutemen in power play points with five, all of which came on assists.

He attributed not only his own success on the power play, but the chemistry he has built on the man advantage with fellow juniors Troy Power and Michael Periera over the years.

“The chemistry is the biggest thing I think,” he said. “Me, Mike  and Troy  have been working together for a while now and I think we’re doing a good job.

“We’ve been working with pretty much the same unit, the same guys for three years now,” he said. “We had some more success last year than we did the year before and again this year we are obviously really clicking.”

Pereira and Power have also contributed to the much-improved power play. Pereira is tied for the team lead in power play goals with two and Power has three assists on the man-advantage.

Injury Updates

Micheletto didn’t have any updates on the status of injured players Shane Walsh or Evan Stack Tuesday at practice.

Walsh did skate before the team took the ice, but Micheletto said he doesn’t know if either player will play this weekend.

“They are on the path towards recovery,” he said, “whether that will be Friday, Saturday or next weekend, I don’t know.”

The Minutemen play a home-and-home series with Northeastern this weekend starting on Friday at the Mullins Center.

Neither player has played since UMass’ 4-0 win against Providence on Nov. 9. Walsh’s injury is described as a lower-body injury, while Stack’s is an upper-body one.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu and followed on twitter @MDC_McDonough.