UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Two cultures fused into one great event in one night

Flickr/bumpershine

On Thursday, Nov. 8 from 9 p.m. to midnight, University of Massachusetts students enjoyed the “Israel After Dark” event at the Amherst Brewing Company.

The event was organized by the UMass Students Alliance for Israel (SAFI), a pro-Israel group on campus that has planned and hosted many Israel-related cultural events since its inception.

Although SAFI contains only Israel in its title, the event was a fusion of both American and Israeli music, bar and late night cultures.

The DJ, Eyal Rob, is one of the four members of Soulico, an Israeli DJ crew. The crew released its debut album with JDub Records in 2007, following a series of very successful shows and underground mix tapes in Israel.

Eyal and the rest of the members are the first DJs in the Middle East to master the trifecta of production, turntables and party-rocking skills. They turn the turntable and DJ into a band. Eyal and the other members jump on top of each other’s cuts to create perfect mixes and keep the party going, using three or four turntables, two mixers and a drum machine/sampler.

Soulico is known for its original songs and mashups, and blends of Israeli dope grooves, Jewish melodies and American hip-hop tracks.

People danced to both Israeli and American popular tracks and artists, including Hadag Nahash, Beyoncé, and Aerosmith’s “Walk This Way” on Thursday night. Eyal also gave a presentation on Israeli music in which he discussed several Israeli artists, music genres and showed Israeli music videos.

These events include guest speakers, Israel Independence Day celebrations and dinner parties. The group frequently works together with the UMass Hillel. UMass senior accounting major Melanie Malc is the president of SAFI.

Idan Teram, the Israeli Fellow at the UMass Hillel, said that he and SAFI will do more cultural events at UMass and the area throughout the school year.

Roy Aloni can be reached at raloni@student.umass.edu.