Video monitoring equipment installed throughout Amherst in preparation for ‘Blarney’ -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Professor Neil Forbes receives $1.56 million grant to develop cancer-killing Salmonella -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

UMass, Trey Davis ready for Richmond and Kendall Anthony -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Milan Fashion Week mixes the old with the new -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Smartphone surge following historic net neutrality decision shows relationship between technology and consumers -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tournament time: UMass women’s basketball faces St. Bonaventure in A-10 opener -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bread & Butter brings local produce to Amherst’s breakfast scene -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

‘Blarney’ guest policy is too harsh and was announced too late -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Esho and Lalanne ready for one final show at Mullins Center -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: March 3, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Two cultures fused into one great event in one night

Flickr/bumpershine

On Thursday, Nov. 8 from 9 p.m. to midnight, University of Massachusetts students enjoyed the “Israel After Dark” event at the Amherst Brewing Company.

The event was organized by the UMass Students Alliance for Israel (SAFI), a pro-Israel group on campus that has planned and hosted many Israel-related cultural events since its inception.

Although SAFI contains only Israel in its title, the event was a fusion of both American and Israeli music, bar and late night cultures.

The DJ, Eyal Rob, is one of the four members of Soulico, an Israeli DJ crew. The crew released its debut album with JDub Records in 2007, following a series of very successful shows and underground mix tapes in Israel.

Eyal and the rest of the members are the first DJs in the Middle East to master the trifecta of production, turntables and party-rocking skills. They turn the turntable and DJ into a band. Eyal and the other members jump on top of each other’s cuts to create perfect mixes and keep the party going, using three or four turntables, two mixers and a drum machine/sampler.

Soulico is known for its original songs and mashups, and blends of Israeli dope grooves, Jewish melodies and American hip-hop tracks.

People danced to both Israeli and American popular tracks and artists, including Hadag Nahash, Beyoncé, and Aerosmith’s “Walk This Way” on Thursday night. Eyal also gave a presentation on Israeli music in which he discussed several Israeli artists, music genres and showed Israeli music videos.

These events include guest speakers, Israel Independence Day celebrations and dinner parties. The group frequently works together with the UMass Hillel. UMass senior accounting major Melanie Malc is the president of SAFI.

Idan Teram, the Israeli Fellow at the UMass Hillel, said that he and SAFI will do more cultural events at UMass and the area throughout the school year.

Roy Aloni can be reached at raloni@student.umass.edu.