UMass men’s soccer falls 2-0 vs. Colgate -

UMass men’s soccer falls to No. 6 Syracuse in season opener -

UMass football boasts young, balanced rushing attack going into 2016 season -

UMass football looks to add more size, depth on defensive side heading into 2016 -

UMass football gets back in action with start of training camp -

UMass football coach Mark Whipple announces Ross Comis as starting quarterback, transfer Andrew Ford close behind -

Amherst PD to encourage registering off-campus parties with implementation of Party Smart Registration program -

UMass Board of Trustees votes 11-2 to raise tuition and fees an average of 5.8 percent -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season -

‘Warcraft’ delivers a likeable mess -

Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Amherst to hold annual Merry Maple celebration

Evan Sahigian/Collegian File Photo

This evening, the town of Amherst will kick off the holiday season with its annual Merry Maple celebration.

The event will begin at 4:15 p.m. with horse-drawn carriage rides – supplied by Muddy Brook Farm – from downtown Amherst to the common, according to an article in the Daily Hampshire Gazette, and Atkins Farms Country Market will provide donuts and hot cider, according to the Amherst Area Chamber of Commerce. Then, shortly after, the Amherst Middle School Chorus will perform on the steps of the Town Hall.

Inside the Town Hall, children will be able to get their faces painted and participate in arts and crafts activities.

Just before 5 p.m., the traditional Merry Maple tree lighting is expected to occur.

The Gazette reported that in addition to the lights on the trees, decorations created by local artist Nan Parati will be hung over streetlights along Main Street, South Pleasant Street, North Pleasant Street and Spring Street.

Before the tree lighting ceremony, the University of Massachusetts Marching Band will lead holiday sing-alongs, according to the Chamber of Commerce’s website.

A little before 6 p.m. the conclusion of the Merry Maple celebration will be highlighted by a visit from Santa Claus riding in an Amherst Fire Department engine.

The Hampshire Gazette reported that the Merry Maple event will also serve as a drop-off location for the Toy Drive of Family Outreach of Amherst, which collects new, unwrapped toys, games, and books for Amherst children in need.

The Amherst Area Chamber of Commerce sponsors the Merry Maple celebration, and the Business Improvement District provided additional lighting for the trees, according to the Hampshire Gazette.

Patrick Hoff can be reached at pphoff@student.umass.edu.