Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Amherst to hold annual Merry Maple celebration

Evan Sahigian/Collegian File Photo

This evening, the town of Amherst will kick off the holiday season with its annual Merry Maple celebration.

The event will begin at 4:15 p.m. with horse-drawn carriage rides – supplied by Muddy Brook Farm – from downtown Amherst to the common, according to an article in the Daily Hampshire Gazette, and Atkins Farms Country Market will provide donuts and hot cider, according to the Amherst Area Chamber of Commerce. Then, shortly after, the Amherst Middle School Chorus will perform on the steps of the Town Hall.

Inside the Town Hall, children will be able to get their faces painted and participate in arts and crafts activities.

Just before 5 p.m., the traditional Merry Maple tree lighting is expected to occur.

The Gazette reported that in addition to the lights on the trees, decorations created by local artist Nan Parati will be hung over streetlights along Main Street, South Pleasant Street, North Pleasant Street and Spring Street.

Before the tree lighting ceremony, the University of Massachusetts Marching Band will lead holiday sing-alongs, according to the Chamber of Commerce’s website.

A little before 6 p.m. the conclusion of the Merry Maple celebration will be highlighted by a visit from Santa Claus riding in an Amherst Fire Department engine.

The Hampshire Gazette reported that the Merry Maple event will also serve as a drop-off location for the Toy Drive of Family Outreach of Amherst, which collects new, unwrapped toys, games, and books for Amherst children in need.

The Amherst Area Chamber of Commerce sponsors the Merry Maple celebration, and the Business Improvement District provided additional lighting for the trees, according to the Hampshire Gazette.

Patrick Hoff can be reached at pphoff@student.umass.edu.