Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Amherst to hold annual Merry Maple celebration

Evan Sahigian/Collegian File Photo

This evening, the town of Amherst will kick off the holiday season with its annual Merry Maple celebration.

The event will begin at 4:15 p.m. with horse-drawn carriage rides – supplied by Muddy Brook Farm – from downtown Amherst to the common, according to an article in the Daily Hampshire Gazette, and Atkins Farms Country Market will provide donuts and hot cider, according to the Amherst Area Chamber of Commerce. Then, shortly after, the Amherst Middle School Chorus will perform on the steps of the Town Hall.

Inside the Town Hall, children will be able to get their faces painted and participate in arts and crafts activities.

Just before 5 p.m., the traditional Merry Maple tree lighting is expected to occur.

The Gazette reported that in addition to the lights on the trees, decorations created by local artist Nan Parati will be hung over streetlights along Main Street, South Pleasant Street, North Pleasant Street and Spring Street.

Before the tree lighting ceremony, the University of Massachusetts Marching Band will lead holiday sing-alongs, according to the Chamber of Commerce’s website.

A little before 6 p.m. the conclusion of the Merry Maple celebration will be highlighted by a visit from Santa Claus riding in an Amherst Fire Department engine.

The Hampshire Gazette reported that the Merry Maple event will also serve as a drop-off location for the Toy Drive of Family Outreach of Amherst, which collects new, unwrapped toys, games, and books for Amherst children in need.

The Amherst Area Chamber of Commerce sponsors the Merry Maple celebration, and the Business Improvement District provided additional lighting for the trees, according to the Hampshire Gazette.

Patrick Hoff can be reached at pphoff@student.umass.edu.