Renowned rabbi discusses the role of religion in American policy -

UMass baseball haunted by missed opportunities in 8-5 loss -

‘Transcendence’ a fumbling cautionary tale -

Freedom of speech for campus employees -

‘Veep’ continues to be one of the smartest comedies around -

‘Noah’ a sinking ship -

Letter: A response to ‘There is nothing to debate about global warming’ -

Push for punishment equality -

UMass baseball lacks aggressiveness, misses opportunities in loss -

Police Log Friday, April 18 – Sunday, April 20, 2014 -

UMass student spends spring break studying sustainability abroad -

Boston Marathon 2014: A day to remember -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

UMass baseball falls short in second straight Beanpot final -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Fashion faux-pas to fend off at music festivals -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The meaning of Easter -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Is Beyoncé a ‘fashion queen’ or just The Queen? -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Protect Our Breasts holds Earth Day Yogathon -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

UMass holds annual Native American Powwow -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Israel a hub for diversity -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

UMass rowing earns five first place finishes on Friday, two on Saturday in weekend action -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Five classic holiday albums for the most wonderful time of the year

The silver bells are ringing, the halls are decked and it’s certainly starting to feel a lot like the holidays again. When it comes to a festive soundtrack to get you in the spirit, the options are endless. It seems like every great (or not so great) artist puts out a holiday album of the classics each year. These yuletide CDs are just a few of the best across the board, regardless of their genre.

Flickr/twm1340

Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas”

There’s something about that deep, distinctive voice that is so familiar and festive each year. While it’s become somewhat “old school” for our generation, the holidays just don’t seem the same without his classic takes on “White Christmas,” “It’s Beginning to Look Like Christmas” and “I’ll Be Home for Christmas.” The slightly scratchy antique sound only adds to the quality of the music. Crosby’s voice is so fluid and relaxing that it is sure to mitigate the stress of the holidays.

Michael Bublé’s “Christmas”

A mildly more contemporary sound to the holidays, Bublé’s soft and old-timey sound always seems to hit the spot, no matter the track. His sleek, easily recognizable voice tackles any Christmas classic and to make it all his own. The quintessential “Santa Baby” takes on a whole new meaning in Bublé’s version, “Santa Buddy.” His unique twists on the beloved holiday tunes will shake up your traditions, making new ones.

Mariah Carey’s “Merry Christmas”

Queen of the ‘90s holiday albums, Mariah Carey never fails to disappoint in her catchy Christmas tunes. Carey’s most famous holiday track, “All I Want for Christmas Is You,” has an unmistakable way of spreading hope for love and despair for those without it during the holidays. Either way, Christmas is nothing without this celebrated song of holiday hope. Her upbeat, soulful songs from the album will lift your spirits and inspire you to spread some holiday cheer.

*NSYNC’s “Home for Christmas”

Speaking of the ‘90s, who could forget these boy-band holiday classics? *NSYNC knows just how to put its high-pitched spin on holiday favorites. “Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays” is a unique holiday song, with that cheesy, but oh-so-good beat to go along with the famous *NSYNC vocals. These hits are so catchy, they’ll remind you why this is the most wonderful time of the year.

Josh Groban’s “Noel”

For some easy listening and a somewhat operatic sound, Groban’s holiday hits are a perfect soundtrack for a chilly night by the fire because oh baby, it really is cold outside. His rendition of “Silent Night” is one of his most touching tracks and will give you the chills from his impressive vocals. Groban includes many of the holiday oldies, such as “Little Drummer Boy,” “Come All Ye Faithful” and “Angels We Have Heard on High,” to name a few.

While these are just a few of the greats, there are so many other impressive holiday albums that go unnamed in this article. For further holiday listening, check out other festive classics from your favorite artists that will make you want to rock around the Christmas tree.

Malea Ritz can be reached at mritz@student.umass.edu.