VIDEO: UMass United Ralley in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

Five classic holiday albums for the most wonderful time of the year

The silver bells are ringing, the halls are decked and it’s certainly starting to feel a lot like the holidays again. When it comes to a festive soundtrack to get you in the spirit, the options are endless. It seems like every great (or not so great) artist puts out a holiday album of the classics each year. These yuletide CDs are just a few of the best across the board, regardless of their genre.

Flickr/twm1340

Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas”

There’s something about that deep, distinctive voice that is so familiar and festive each year. While it’s become somewhat “old school” for our generation, the holidays just don’t seem the same without his classic takes on “White Christmas,” “It’s Beginning to Look Like Christmas” and “I’ll Be Home for Christmas.” The slightly scratchy antique sound only adds to the quality of the music. Crosby’s voice is so fluid and relaxing that it is sure to mitigate the stress of the holidays.

Michael Bublé’s “Christmas”

A mildly more contemporary sound to the holidays, Bublé’s soft and old-timey sound always seems to hit the spot, no matter the track. His sleek, easily recognizable voice tackles any Christmas classic and to make it all his own. The quintessential “Santa Baby” takes on a whole new meaning in Bublé’s version, “Santa Buddy.” His unique twists on the beloved holiday tunes will shake up your traditions, making new ones.

Mariah Carey’s “Merry Christmas”

Queen of the ‘90s holiday albums, Mariah Carey never fails to disappoint in her catchy Christmas tunes. Carey’s most famous holiday track, “All I Want for Christmas Is You,” has an unmistakable way of spreading hope for love and despair for those without it during the holidays. Either way, Christmas is nothing without this celebrated song of holiday hope. Her upbeat, soulful songs from the album will lift your spirits and inspire you to spread some holiday cheer.

*NSYNC’s “Home for Christmas”

Speaking of the ‘90s, who could forget these boy-band holiday classics? *NSYNC knows just how to put its high-pitched spin on holiday favorites. “Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays” is a unique holiday song, with that cheesy, but oh-so-good beat to go along with the famous *NSYNC vocals. These hits are so catchy, they’ll remind you why this is the most wonderful time of the year.

Josh Groban’s “Noel”

For some easy listening and a somewhat operatic sound, Groban’s holiday hits are a perfect soundtrack for a chilly night by the fire because oh baby, it really is cold outside. His rendition of “Silent Night” is one of his most touching tracks and will give you the chills from his impressive vocals. Groban includes many of the holiday oldies, such as “Little Drummer Boy,” “Come All Ye Faithful” and “Angels We Have Heard on High,” to name a few.

While these are just a few of the greats, there are so many other impressive holiday albums that go unnamed in this article. For further holiday listening, check out other festive classics from your favorite artists that will make you want to rock around the Christmas tree.

Malea Ritz can be reached at mritz@student.umass.edu.